Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Oh....my....God....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Oh....my....God....

Did anyone see this?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,463172,00.html

Quote:
The annual Gifts for Guns program wound down Sunday in Compton, a working class city south of Los Angeles that has long struggled with gun and gang violence.
Since when is Compton a working-class neighborhood?

Quote:
Deputies expected to collect about 1,000 weapons this year. Authorities said 590 guns and two hand grenades were handed in during the last weekend in November, more than the total collected in any year and eclipsing last year's 387 guns.
Apparently working on collecting hand grenades.

Quote:
Woods said most of the residents who turned in weapons were "family people."
I'm assuming these grenades were not legally licensed. I'm also assuming that the people that can afford to legally own hand grenades can also afford Christmas presents. How many "family people" own illegal hand grenades? Not saying there's really anything wrong with that. I'd love to have one or two.

Quote:
One man brought in a Soviet-era semiautomatic carbine.

"If that got into the wrong hands of gangbangers, they could kill several people within minutes," Woods said. "Our biggest fear is a house getting burglarized and these guns getting taken."
Couldn't they also do that with a car? Or hand grenades?

Last edited by DuckA; 12-08-2008 at 03:36 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

"Honey, have you seen my grenades?"

Old 12-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I sure would like to see ballistic reports done on those turned in weapons to find out how many were involved in "Random Acts" of gun violence.

Now the question begs to asked, what are the police going to do with the guns? Sell them out the back door like that Sheriff's office down in Florida did?

JD

Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Help from the more knowledgable, and I'm not suggesting any illeagal actions, just trying to wrap my head around this.

1) Since grenades, to the best of my knowledge, are illeagal pretty much everywhere in the U.S. regardless of license status, I'm assuming the only way to turn these in is if there is a no questions asked policy, correct?

2) Since the only grenades I'm aware of in the U.S. are federal property, I am assuming these were stolen. That means stolen property is accepted at these turn ins, correct?

3) If my legally owned firearm is stolen, and turned in, is there a mechanism in place to return it to me?

4) Wouldn't I do better with my "Soviet era carbine" at a gun shop or pawn shop, unless there was a reason that I couldn't take it to a licensed dealer?

5) If a gun is used in a shooting, turned in at one of these things, can it be used as evidence later, or did we just legally screw ourselves by accepting the crime gun and handing out a gift certificate for it?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, I don't know the details of this particular gun trade in program, but the ones that I am familiar with are no questions asked. So yes, it's a way to dispose of evidence of a crime, and since they would have to run ballistics on EVERY gun and compare it to a known case, linking the weapon to a crime is still only half the problem. You would have to know, for example, that the shooter used an AK - then test any AK's turned in against that known case.

Assuming you had a match, all you would have then is the gun in question. I suppose you could disassemble the weapon and look for finger prints - but good luck and who is going to pay for all that time spent testing? 590 guns is a lot to strip and finger print.

I believe a few months back there was one where a guy turned in a rocket launcher that was "in his shed" or something like that. I remember there was a discussion about it on here...link to the story

These type of "Get guns off the streets" deals are a feel good program in my opinion. I don't believe anyone with bad intentions is disarming themselves for a gift certificate.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Compton, working class neighborhood? Working at selling drugs or other worthy felonious endeavors.

The vast majority of the guns obtained at these events are stolen, used in a crime, or just junk. Turn in a rust bucket inoperable RG revolver and get a gift certificate. Whata deal!

Generally if a stolen gun is recovered in these feel good rallys, they are destroyed and the rightful owner never notified of the recovery.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Most of these sorts of things have no-questions-asked policies and they don't take names or addresses.

Almost all of the things turned in are worthless, non-functioning crap. The few that do work are probably turned in out of ignorance on the part of the owner, who is unaware that he or she could get a lot more for it at a gun store.

We have these buy-backs all the time. Turn in a gun, get a $50 gift card to a local grocery store. The stuff the cops collect are most certainly NOT used in crimes. Around here, at least, whatever is collected is supposedly destroyed.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Help from the more knowledgable, and I'm not suggesting any illeagal actions, just trying to wrap my head around this.
1) Since grenades, to the best of my knowledge, are illeagal pretty much everywhere in the U.S. regardless of license status, I'm assuming the only way to turn these in is if there is a no questions asked policy, correct?
Grenades are covered under the same laws that govern full auto weapons. Civilians can own them, but it's up to the discretion of the sheriff whether or not he wants to sign off on it. The potential buyer still has to pay the fee and get a stamp for each grenade.

To answer another of your questions; the grenades were probably stolen from an armory somewhere.

Last edited by DuckA; 12-08-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'd rather have some C4 and a few Claymores anyway.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 AM   #10

It's obvious that it doesn't work......

ST. LOUIS -- A cash-for-guns program that erupted into unexpected controversy at a St. Louis Board of Police Commissioners meeting last month was approved today by a 4-1 vote.

The board approved the buyback by a 4-1 vote. The only vote against it came from Board President Chris Goodson, who spoke against the buy-back at a meeting on Nov. 19. He said then a rising murder rate suggested the program was not working. The department was expected to allocate $57,500 in seized drug money for payments of $50 to people who turned in handguns or shotguns, and $100 for assault-type guns.