Oh, How Times Have Changed - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Oh, How Times Have Changed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 152 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
It should be taught like shop.
i was thinking the same, but more like "the pledge of allegiance"

Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #12

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 372

When I went to school, in rural N. Florida (graduated in '70) No one gave it a second thought for a kid to bring a shotgun to school, on the bus, when he was going dove hunting after school with a friend. You would take you gun to the office and pick it up after school. I never knew anyone who anyone who was shot by accident, or for that matter with intent.

There was nothing majic about guns, they were tools. Guns were kept in racks in the home or in unlocked trucks. I never knew anyone who had a gun safe and had never seen, or hear of, a gun lock. Kids knew that if the messed with a firearm without permission there would be hell to pay. Usually by the age of 12 most kids had permission to hunt squirrels or rabbits with either .22 rifles or shotguns, without adult supervision.

Carl Sagan

Old 10-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #13

Liked 858 Times on 555 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

They tried to start that here in AZ, but parents got all upset...

I think it would be a good thing to teach gun safety.... Ive always grown up with a gun, and have been taught that they must be treated with respect...

Ive seen how many young people handle guns, and its because most just dont know. It seems that some think of guns as toys, and others wont touch them because there "evil people killers"

Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #14

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
They tried to start that here in AZ, but parents got all upset...

I think it would be a good thing to teach gun safety.... Ive always grown up with a gun, and have been taught that they must be treated with respect...

Ive seen how many young people handle guns, and its because most just dont know. It seems that some think of guns as toys, and others wont touch them because there "evil people killers"
Here's the thing I don't understand about those pansy parents. Even if you don't want your kids to be around guns, and don't want guns in your home, is there anything wrong with them knowing how to be safe if they ever do end up in close proximity to a firearm?

I have a friend (more of an acquaintance really) who didn't get his driver's license until he was 28. His still took driver's ed in high school.

There's nothing wrong with keeping your bases covered. I think that a kid who knows nothing about firearms and firearms safety would possible be more likely to play around with one and do something stupid, than the kid who at least knows a little bit about the subject, even if it is just a one day class offered at the local elementary school.