The Official MMA Thread - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Yeah, I was at work, someone told me a fighter shot himself and his wife, so I Google UFC death, and find Evan as well as the other guy. As I said, depressed.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #82

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Less than an hour to go before the big event. Anyone want to make any signature bets for 14 days?? I have posted my pics, if you disagree, let's put something of value on it. Loser has to add a signature to their posts for 14 days.....

JD

Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Yeah, I was at work, someone told me a fighter shot himself and his wife, so I Google UFC death, and find Evan as well as the other guy. As I said, depressed.
Justin Eilers was shot at a family get together - this is getting out of hand here....

JD

Old 12-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #84

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

SO JD how did the card do last night seeing as I am sitting in upper Ohio with no pay per view and no way to find a bar showing it. I had to miss it. Oh the humanity or it all. I so wanted to see it and was willing to pay the $55 or so for it. BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOO I had to go to my &ITCHY MIL house to be insulted until tuesday. They only reason I can get on the net is that I brought my own wifi router with me.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:53 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Forrest Griffin vs. Rashad Evans for the Light heavyweight title
Rashad won by a ref stoppage in the 3rd round. Hit Forrest with an overhand left and proceeded a short ground and pound session. F**K!
Quote:
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Frank Mir for the Interim Heavyweight Title
Believe it or not, Frank Mir came in shape and his boxing/striking looked crisp. He nailed Big Nog with a couple of good shots in the first round, knocking him down both times but let him up instead of risking a ground fight. In the Secnd he nailed Nog again, sending him down and pounced on side control with hammer fists before the ref stopped the fight. Nog was hurt, but not out, so I would have liked to see it go a bit longer, but I was happy Mir won. Mir then called out Lesnar saying he had "his" belt. In the post fight interview with Joe Rogan Mir was so emotional he could hardly speak and gave big respect to Big Nog, calling him the best heavyweight on the planet.
Quote:
Wanderlei Silva vs. Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
This should have been a better fight than it was. Rampage looked crisp, strong and his boxing is still very good. Wand came in shape, looking ripped and shredded as always, but Rampage took the fight to him, stood in the pocket and dropped him, out cold, with an overhand left from hell. Rampage was respectful in his post fight.

Quote:
Mike Massenzio vs. CB Dollaway
Dollaway pretty much controlled the whole fight - which was about 4:00 in the first round before he got rear mount, flattened Massenzio out and ground and pounded him to a ref stoppage.
Quote:
Mostapha Al Turk vs. Cheick Kongo
Kongo won this easily. If Al Turk had any sort of ground game he could have won, but instead he had a horrible shot attempt that got stuffed and he eventually got knocked down and ground and pounded silly before the rep stepped in for a late stoppage. Ugly fight.

Quote:
Mike Wessel vs. Antoni Hardonk
- Wessel in at the last minute as a replacement and he paid for it. Hardonk won by ground and pound in the first round.
Quote:
Reese Andy vs. Matt Hamill
- Hamil didn't look as good as he looked in the past. Perhaps too many PB&J sammiches, but he was good enough to get a solid take down and some ground and pound to finish Andy in the second round.

Quote:
Pat Barry vs. Dan Evensen
Evensen had the experience and the UFC experience but Pat Barry didn't seem to care. He came in and flat destroyed Evensen. His low kicks were crisp and had an audible SNAP to them. So much so that Evensen verbally tapped from the leg kicks in the first round. WTF?!

It was a good card, lots of action and some surprise victories, at least to me. Next year is going to be an interesting one in the UFC, that is for sure....

Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #86

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Evans.*^&%$#^^^%$#@!(*&^^%!. S#!*

He should sucessfully defend once before the title changes hands like it will at least 3 times in 2009.

So Mir Lesnar 2. I like Mir. Predictions?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #87

That was about my thoughts on Evans win. Can't stand that guy.

Mir/Lesnar two is going to be HUGE. Lesnar has looked better in each of his fights in the UFC. His great ability is his speed, power and his great wrestling.

Mir's striking looked MUCH improved in this last fight. My fear would be him trying to stand and bang with Lesnar instead of looking to get the fight to the ground where Lesnar is completely susceptiable to several submissions.

Standing = Lesnar wins

Any ground game I think Mir wins in a scramble.

JD

Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #88

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
That was about my thoughts on Evans win. Can't stand that guy.

Mir/Lesnar two is going to be HUGE. Lesnar has looked better in each of his fights in the UFC. His great ability is his speed, power and his great wrestling.

Mir's striking looked MUCH improved in this last fight. My fear would be him trying to stand and bang with Lesnar instead of looking to get the fight to the ground where Lesnar is completely susceptiable to several submissions.

Standing = Lesnar wins

Any ground game I think Mir wins in a scramble.

JD
I'm not so sure Lesnar has the cardio to stand for too long. If Mir wants to play cat and mouse with him, Mir wins in the stand up too. For the record, I called the first fight between those two and the Vegas odds paid me off BIG time. I called Mir for the win and parlayed the win by declaring it would be by submission. Vegas odds makers still don't understand this sport.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I'm not so sure Lesnar has the cardio to stand for too long. If Mir wants to play cat and mouse with him, Mir wins in the stand up too. For the record, I called the first fight between those two and the Vegas odds paid me off BIG time. I called Mir for the win and parlayed the win by declaring it would be by submission. Vegas odds makers still don't understand this sport.

I was AT Mir/Lesnar one and I had Mir winning by submission as well, but that was a different Lesnar.

DO NOT underestimate Lesnar's work ethic. The guy is a work horse. He has a state of the art work out facility on his own personal property that is so good, the guys from Minnesota Combat Sports travel to his place for three days a week to train with him there!

That is the same group that Sean Sherk trains with. The same group that puts "Caveman Drills" on the schedule as part of their weekly training. If you saw Sean Sherk's Behind the Scenes of his workouts, and their intensity, you will understand what I am talking about.

Lesnar is a BEAST. Cardio is not going to be a problem for the guy, and neither is having the raw power to out muscle most of the HW on the planet even in the 4th and 5th rounds of a fight. He is a genetic anomoly - something that the sport has not seen before now.

His striking was questionable before, but after the fight with Randy, it was obvious that he has trained considerably on it. His ground game is good on control, but he lacks submissions and submission defense........ right now.

Don't expect the same Lesnar when he has his rematch with Mir. The man is too smart, too motivated and too damn gifted to just rely on his accomplishments to date.

Mir is going to be a fool to sit in the pocket and trade with this man. He needs to look to move in and out, like Randy was, he needs to throw some leg kicks and get Brock to take him down where he can work.

Frank isn't the best MMA fighter out there, but he is one hell of a ground wizard and that is where he needs to get this fight. The earlier the better - because as we have seen with Herring and with Randy, one punch from that big bastard can go a LONG way...

JD

Old 12-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #90

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
That is the same group that Sean Sherk trains with. The same group that puts "Caveman Drills" on the schedule as part of their weekly training. If you saw Sean Sherk's Behind the Scenes of his workouts, and their intensity, you will understand what I am talking about.
If I had know THAT, I would not have spoken so boldly. Sherk is the hardest working man in MMA (IMO)

You actually went to one of these? I hear the cheap seats are $500 and up...