The Official MMA Thread - Page 61
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
The least thing you could do, JD, is put some thought into it.
Hey man. Eff You!

If you can't take something you love seriously, and use your head for something other than to keep your ears apart, then go and play in the kitchen wih the rest of the girls....

Old 08-28-2009, 12:52 AM   #602

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Well, allow me fill you in on what I know about both fighters....

Nate Marquardt is one of the most accomplished fighters, in the world, and especially in the 185 division.

He is a SEVEN TIME King of Pancrase. That just doesn't happen by accident once, let alone SEVEN TIMES!!

I believe the only other fighters, in the world, to win the tournament and defend that many times are: Frank Shamrock and Bas Rutten.

I watched, in almost horror & in person, as Nate Marquardt DESTROYED Jeremy Horn ( a guy with over 100 MMA fights to his record and a submission wizard ) at UFC 81 and then put him in a choke and tapped him out. Marquardt isn't known as a submission guy and he tapped one of the best in the class of submission fighters.

Demian Maia has some of the best Jiu Jitsu in the world. It is said that Jorge Gurjel has the best BJJ in North America. I would challenge that with Maia.

He is a multiple time champion in Brazil in straight submission and BJJ matches.

He has either won, or has finished in the top three in Brazil, and in the South American Championships in submission and grappling, every year since 1999.

He has won a world title in both submission grappling and in BJJ.

He has won, and/or finished no lower than third, in the ADCC ( Abu Dhabi Combat Championships ) in both fixed weight class and open weight class competition.

He has the sickest ground game I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of guys.

Frank Mir, who has a black belt, hired Demian after his stint on TUF to be his PERSONAL BJJ coach. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what is. This is the guy who broke Tim Sylvia's arm with an armbar saying he has a lot to learn from Maia.

On paper, this fight is one of the other. Marquardt wins on his feet, or Maia wins on the ground.

In my mind, this fight is going to be decided only on the feet. Maia can't strike for crap. His punches are lazy and he is looking for a rush against the fence and a takedown into postion. See his most recent fight against Chael Sonnen.

Sonnen just got done taking Brazilian wizard Paulo Filho to task in not one, but two fights, and Maia made him look like a bitch. Triangle Choke, from a throw off the fence, in 2:37 of the first round!?

I honestly can see this fight going either way. My mind says pick Marquardt, because he has seen a ton of grapplers in his day and he has over 40 professional MMA fights, both here and overseas.

My heart and my willingness to side with a good grappler against a good wrestler says go with Maia because his BJJ is just that effing good.

I can't choose peacefully - so if you put a gun to my head and made me pick a guy, it would be Marquardt. But I would be changing my answer twice back and forth before you got a straight answer from me.

JD
Haha. I actually expected something like this from you. This really is that tough a fight to pick. Marquardt is the vet and Maia is the new upstart. I couldn't choose either. I was hoping to force your hand. Like you, I'm probably going with Nate, but I'll be happy either way if it's a good fight.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 AM   #603

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Hey man. Eff You!

If you can't take something you love seriously, and use your head for something other than to keep your ears apart, then go and play in the kitchen wih the rest of the girls....
Wow, I was just trying to lighten the load a little.

Maia. Damien is coming into his game in the UFC. I agree that Nate is a much better striker, but I have been amazed at how quicly Damian can close the distance. I'm going with Maia.

The rest of the picks.

Couture-gramps still has some fight in him. I have no doubt that Noguera can beat Randy, and I won't be surprised if he does. Just going with Couture.

Jardine in a tough one. I'm not a big fan of Jardine, and every time I thought he was out matched he won. Those leg kicks take time to break down a guy. He throws lots of 'em very well.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #604

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My picks:

Couture
Jardine
Rosholt
Marquardt
Vera

Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #605

Quote:
Wow, I was just trying to lighten the load a little.
Oh, you know I love you brother, I was just lashing out because I am projecting my feelings based on another thread.
Quote:
Maia. Damien is coming into his game in the UFC. I agree that Nate is a much better striker, but I have been amazed at how quicly Damian can close the distance. I'm going with Maia.

The rest of the picks.

Couture-gramps still has some fight in him. I have no doubt that Noguera can beat Randy, and I won't be surprised if he does. Just going with Couture.

Jardine in a tough one. I'm not a big fan of Jardine, and every time I thought he was out matched he won. Those leg kicks take time to break down a guy. He throws lots of 'em very well.
I think Maia is the future. I mean, he has EVERYTHING that the UFC wants EXCEPT the ability to knock someone out like Chuck.

He's in shape.

He shows up ready to fight.

He's a "good looking" South American looking guy.

He finishes fights. And how.

Nate Marquardt's only blemish is his disasterous defeat at the hands of Anderson Silva. Granted, he lost a decision to Thales Lietes, but I thought he did enough to win that fight other than the "slip/knockdown".

Nate Marquardt is a bad ass dude though, and I am taking him.........

but tentatively...

JD

Old 08-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #606

I guess I do not smell a bet of sorts...(tick, tick, tick)

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 08-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #607

Quote:
I guess I do not smell a bet of sorts...(tick, tick, tick)
You want Maia?

It's going to be difficult for me to bet JUST on Maia.

You are going to have to pony up another fight as well...

But I am willing to take Marqaurdt to win, as a package deal, for a signature bet....

JD

Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #608

Quote:
You want Maia?

It's going to be difficult for me to bet JUST on Maia.

You are going to have to pony up another fight as well...

But I am willing to take Marqaurdt to win, as a package deal, for a signature bet....

JD
I'm listening, with reservations. It is such a tough pick. Why not just do it on one fight? What do you have to offer?

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #609

Well, here are my picks for this fight card:

I am taking Big Nog over Uncle Randy. I think Nog finishes him late in the second or early in the third.

I am taking Thiago Silva over Jardine. I just think Silva is just more savage and I think he will get a KO/TKO.

Jake Rosholt is going to get ALL OVER Chris Leben.

I am taking Nate the Great, reluctantly, over my favorite BJJ guy in Maia. I just don't think that Maia is ready for this level of competition based solely on his hands/striking. If he improves his hands, he wins this fight going away, and I haven't seen his training lately. I want Maia, but I think Nate is going to just be too much for him this time around.

I am going to take Krzysztof over Brandon Vera, and if Krzysztof wins, Brandon will probably be out of the UFC. And that would make JD very happy....

I'm JD and I approve of these picks....

Old 08-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #610

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
My picks:

Couture
Jardine
Rosholt
Marquardt
Vera
Agree on all, other than I think Leben will win.