The Official MMA Thread - Page 53
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #521
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, there is always history to fall back on.

Show me a PPV that Fedor was on that did over 1mil in buys.....

The UFC has had, I believe, 5 now that have topped 1mil in buys WITHOUT Fedor, and without having to pay him $2million a friggin fight....

And there is Red Devil/M1 Global Management who want the rights to 1)Co Produce the event 2) Use the UFC Name to produce events back in Mother Russia and the EU and don't forget 3) stock the undercard with Red Devil fighters, half of whom probably won't be able to get Visas ( Fedors younger brother did time for bank robbery and was denied a Visa twice, Baby Fedor was denied a Visa for a fight last year ) or pass the steroids testing in Vegas....

But, anything is possible. Everyone thought that a WWE guy had no business getting into the UFC and that PRIDE would never fail because of the Japanese love for the sport.... *shrug*

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-29-2009 at 07:45 PM.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #522

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try a UFC event WITH Fedor. People trust the UFC. People WANT to see Fedor fight, but they don't like Strikeforce and don't trust those Affliction clowns. I have never paid for a MMA match that wasnt UFC. I might do a Pride card, but the UFC name is golden.

History isn't really applicable when name brands rule the day.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post

History isn't really applicable when name brands rule the day.
And then there is the Anderson Silva Syndrome.

One of the Best Fighters in the UFC? Check!

One of the Best Fighters in his weight class around the world?? Check!

One of the Best Fighters in the World in any weight class?? Check!

Number of PPV Events headlined by Anderson Silva to get over 700K buys? ZERO!

EDIT: I meant a million buys with Fedor, which I have changed....

JD

Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #524

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have you paid attention to the entire card that Silva headlines? They uncommonly weak. No one wants to see Chris Leben.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #525

I'll give you the Henderson fight, that card was a dog, but you can't say that about his other fights.

He fought on Stacked from California, that was like UFC 73. That was a good card.

His most recent fight was on the same card with Lidell, who always sells a ton of PPV's even without the belt.

And I think he fought either Cote or that most recent guy IN CANADA where they sold more tickets than the stadium could hold for both of their shows, so that is not really a fair statement.

The guy is phenomonal, but he has these flaws:

1) He's pretty humble. He doesn't really talk crap before or after a fight. The most he has said before a fight was the Leban fight. Same with Fedor.

2) He doesn't speak good English and has to use a translator. Same with Fedor.

3) He amassed a great amount of his wins, and his skills, overseas, so no one got to see him develop as a fighter. Just all of a sudden in comes this guy from "out of nowhere" and he is destroying the whole division. Same with possibly, Fedor.

The fans of the UFC aren't true MMA fans. They are fans of the UFC. That is why Forrest Griffin sells as many PPV's in the main event as Anderson Silva.... because people have seen him develop. There is no development with Silva, in fact he has gotten worse in the UFC. You watch some of his early fights and he was doing CRAZY stuff. Check out the spinning back elbow he put on a guy in Cage Rage.

JD

Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 AM   #526

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Fedor is holding out for the big bucks.

Fedor Emelianenko Turns Down Three-Fight UFC Contract -- MMA FanHouse

He will get the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #527

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Over all I think Fedor is way over rated.

I also think Anderson Silva is a good fighter albeit boring as hell to watch. He wins because he never puts himself out there like other fighter do.

Oh well, they will being fedor in he will fight someone will kill him and we will be done with it.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #528

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Who in the heavyweight division do you believe can beat Fedor?

I'm not saying no one can either....

Old 07-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #529

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I also think Anderson Silva is a good fighter albeit boring as hell to watch. He wins because he never puts himself out there like other fighter do.
Really? I would agree if you would have said GSP. Silva is a man destroyer. With one exception, he has destroyed his opponents pretty soundly.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Who in the heavyweight division do you believe can beat Fedor?

I'm not saying no one can either....

Beat Fedor?? There a lot of guys who could do it, but the problem is, Fedor isn't going to fight them unless he has things his way.

He won't fight in the Octagon, because it's to his disadvantage.

Watch the Matt Linland fight, who was about 30 pounds lighter than Fedor by the way, and look how easily he got a body lock on Fedor and was taking him right down before Fedor grabbed the always handy ring ropes and caused a reversal for the arm bar win.

I think Bobby Lashley is strong enough, but I question his submission defense.

Shane Carwin is definitely a good enough striker, but his submission defense is also suspect.

Randy Couture, from 2 years ago, if they fought then, I think would have beat Fedor.

I like Frank Mir's chances if he came in the same shape he did for the Lesnar fight.

Josh Barnett, if he were to actually train and go back to his ground game, has an excellent chance of beating Fedor.

AA, if he would just get out of his boxing mentality, would be a great re-match. He got over-confident and went for a flying knee when he got clocked. In another fight I like his chances....

Brock Lesnar has opened up a new version of ground and pound that I personally think is going to tip the scales in the advantage of really good wrestlers for a while. What I saw in the Mir fight was an eye opener to me, and a lot of other people, that the pendulum is swinging back to the way of the wrestlers with really good ground base. Lesnar has a very good chance against Fedor.

Anderson Silva, in a catch weight fight, I think might be able to take Fedor. He walks around in the 215-220 category and Fedor weighs about 225-230 or so when he is fighting. Silva has talked about that being one of his last fights before he retires, so I would love to see that fight happen.

Anyone got an opinon on the Carano-Cyborg fight coming up??