Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

And in other news - Keeping up the MMA coverage. HDNet is broadcasting live from Canada with tonight's MFC ( Maximum Fighting Championship ) 19. Main event is former WEC submission fighter John Alessio versus England's kickboxing powerhouse Paul "Semtex" Daley.

Daley is going to get grounded and submitted, but you have to root for a guy who's called "Semtex" - which is a type of plastic explosive commonly used by the SAS and other units for those of you who don't know.

Fight time is 7:00 Est if you get HDNet...

JD

Old 12-06-2008, 04:29 AM   #32

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

We used to call Semtex "C-4's ugly sister".

Old 12-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #33

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Yessir, I believe it is manufactured in Czeckoslovakia, and you are right, there is nothing pretty about her.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 12-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Well, ugly or not, Semtex "went off" last night in Canada at MFC 19 and knocked out John Alessio in the second round. I was happily surprised by the victory as I truly like Paul Daley, think he is a good guy and pretty respectful. I had Alessio taking him down early, and controlling him, but Daley had other ideas... which was a nice surprise.

Wednesday we have the UFC Fight For The Troops - If you guys are fans of the sport & our troops, and haven't donated, please reconsider. It's a good cause and the fights are free on Spike, so a little donation would put some "change" in the Karma Bank for you.

JD

Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 PM   #35

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Hey Dillinger who are your picks for UFC 92?

Forrest Griffin Vs. Rashad Evans For me this is a hard one. Evans is a hard hitter and has just KO The Ice Man. Though that could be his down fall as he could have a rather large head from that KO and come in trying to one punch Griffin who is known for taking a punch and another and another and another.

I am going to go for Griffin in a decision.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir

Again a tough one to call for me. I think Nog is going to get this one. But never count mir out.

CB Dollaway Vs. Mike Massenzio

CB to me didn't do to well on TUF and I have never seen Massenzio fight so I am not going to call this one.

Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson

Jackson I just don't like all that much. Silva is a mad man in the cage. I am going to go with silva winning with a KO or TKO or submission in the 2nd round.

Cheick Kongo Vs. Mustapha Al-Turk

never seen Al-Turk fight (Never heard of him before really) I have seen Kongo fight and he is an A-#1 badass So I am going to go with CK with the KO in rd #1 or #2.

Yushin Okami Vs. Dean Lister

Dean is a hell of a fighter from what I have seen and I have never seen the other guy so this one is hard to call.

Antoni Hardonk Vs. Mark Burch

Never heard or seen either fighter so I can't call.

Matt Hamill Vs. Reese Andy

Matt Hamill Mr. PB&J from TUF this guy was a sponge on the show picking up what ever he was showed. Great ground skills and great wrestling skills. I see him with a decision or a submission over Andy.

Ryo Chonan Vs. Brad Blackburn

Never seen or heard of either fighter so I can't call it.

Dan Evensen Vs. Pat Barry

another unknown card for me. plus it may not show.

There is mine Dillinger lets see yours.

Last edited by cpttango30; 12-09-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 AM   #36

Okay, Tango - here are my picks and why:

Forrest Griffin Vs. Rashad Evans - Rashad Evans is training with Greg Jackson's camp, which is the best in MMA right now. The reason he is getting this fight, at this point in his career, is Greg Jackson's coaching. His knock out of Chuck wasn't a fluke, it was planned and it was executed beautifully. That said, I don't think Rashad's ground game is anywhere NEAR as good as Forrest's ground game. Griffin can take some real punishment, as we saw with Rampage and Bonnar 1 - not to mention getting bloodied by Shogun. Forrest has fought tougher fighters, and he is known to be a cardio work horse. If Rashad wins, it will be a fluke, flash knock like Dean Jardine caught Griffin with ( who is also a Greg Jackson fighter ). I like Forrest by a late submission.

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Vs. Frank Mir - I want to see this fight, and I don't want to see it, because one of my two favorite guys is going to lose. I love Frank Mir's submissions. They are like a high speed carwreck, just like Josh Barnett's. He grabs something and tries to rip it off your body. Big Nog is like a boa constrictor, he just kind of lulls you in and then slowly slips on a submission you can't get out of. Mir doesn't have the power to knock Nog out, but Nog can punch hard enough to knock Mir out - but I don't see this being a stand up match. I think both guys are comfortable on the ground and they are going to end up there probably 3 minutes into the first round. Mir has horrible cardio history, and recent reports have him not looking in great shape at all. I have Big Nog by submission in the 3rd or 4th round.

CB Dollaway Vs. Mike Massenzio - Massenzio is going to be a good test, because he is a BJJ Black Belt and has like 7 wins by submission. However, though I anticipate this being a boring fight, I think Dollaway will pull it out. Most likely a decision...

Wanderlei Silva Vs. Quinton Jackson - Wanderlei has beat Jackson twice previously in PRIDE. Jackson is training in England with Wolfslair, which is the "home" of Michael Bisping, and that is the biggest "star" they have. Jackson is going to get beat again. Wanderlei will make it win number 3 against Quinton by old school ass whooping...

Cheick Kongo Vs. Mustapha Al-Turk - Here's the deal, Kongo has no ground game. Zero. Nada. He relies on his height and strength advantage to lean on opponents. When he fought Heath Herring, a big guy who has a ground game and use power back, Kongo lost a decision. I see Al Turk as a big ( 245 ) heavy hitter with some ground game. I am going to go out on a limb and say Al-Turk is going to get anxious fighting in the US and in the Octagon for the first time and he is going to get knocked out by Kongo. Which will infuriate me, because Kongo sucks and is horrible for the sport...

Yushin Okami Vs. Dean Lister - This is a better fight on paper than it will be in the ring. Okami was recently seeing knocking out Evan Tanner in Tanner's first fight back in the UFC in March. He has lost a decision to Rich Franklin, so obviously the guy can stand and bang. Dean Lister has no shot at knocking him out, and his jits is very good, but I don't see him pulling out a win against an athlete of Okami's caliber. Look for "Thunder" to unleash some and win by knockout.

Antoni Hardonk Vs. Mark Burch - These are two heavy hitters with no ground game between them. I think total they have 1 submission in all their wins. Hardonk has more fights, and he has more in the Octagon. Burch isn't known for being in shape, he just shows up at Heavyweight numbers and goes in to stand and bang. I see Hardonk, who has a two fight KO streak going inside the UFC, continuing his knock out trend of late.

Matt Hamill Vs. Reese Andy - Hamill is going to own Andy. His stand up has been better in every fight, there is no way Andy will take him down, so he is going to have to stand and bang with a guy who has only been stopped by Rich Franklin with a beautiful set of knees to the body. Andy Reese is not Rich Franklin. Hamill by KO

Ryo Chonan Vs. Brad Blackburn - Ryo Chonan is a boring ass fighter who fights not to lose, as opposed to try and win. He'll win this by decision. However Bad Brad is from Seattle, and is an impressive specimen, so I am going to be rooting for him to KTFO Chonan and hopefully get him out of the UFC for good.... Chonan is boring as hell to watch..

Dan Evensen Vs. Pat Barry - Evensen has more fights, and against much tougher competition. Barry appears to be a one trick pony ( he's a straight striker ) with a 3-0 record on much smaller shows. I'll take Evensen, though I have never seen him fight.

There you go....

JD

Old 12-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #37

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You gonna be watching on PPV?

I am going to try and buy it. Then Invite a few guys over. Ifin the wife lets me.

Oh yah we got a radio show here on Saturday called MMA Nation, that is hosted by the buy who writes the Bloody elbow blog. I think you could get it on the net at www.wjfk.com

Old 12-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #38

Yeah. Going to buy it and have 2 couples join us. The gals are just as into the fights as the guys, so it's usually a good time to be had by all...

Looking forward to this card though, this is going to be something special...

JD

Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #39

Tonight is Fight for the Troops live and free on Spike. If you haven't donated, you should think about. It's a great cause and an excellent year end tax deduction.

I personally hope Josh Koscheck gets pummeled into a whithering pile of fake blonde hair, but we will see what happens....

JD

Old 12-10-2008, 05:52 PM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hate Koscheck with the fire of a thousand suns. He and Penn take long showers together.