The Official MMA Thread - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
And how about that upcoming GSP/Penn fight? The thought of BJ Penn gargling GSP's leather makes me feel all warm inside. Penn obviously forgot why he ran screaming from the welter division.
I can NOT put into words the amount of distaste I have for BJ Penn. When Hughes crucifixed him in their second fight and started dropping elbow after elbow I think I had half wood.

I hate that little punk. I HATE him, and his nuthugging fans are about the worst out there. Fedor's are running a close second, but BJ Penn fans think he is the second coming of every great warrior to ever walk the Earth.

GSP is a machine, but the guy is fragile. His loss to Serra damn near crushed the guy emotionally. He stopped training, was off the grid for a bit and then started seeing a sports shrink. It's seems to have worked, because his comeback against Hughes was mastery and his fight against Serra was complete destruction. Fitch is no joke, and I wasn't too overly surprised that fight went to decision.

He is an ICON in Montreal. I was there, must be 6 years ago now, and GSP wasn't a big deal in the States yet, he was still fighting off the circuit shows. But there was already a buzz about him. I got a buddy who was there in 2005, we used to game on line about once a week, and he said the guy is a GOD in that City. Think what Michael was to Chicago, or Larry was to Boston - then factor in the fact that Montreal has NO OTHER GOOD **** TO ROOT FOR... LOL

GSP/BJ should not be for a title. Penn doesn't deserve a title shot, but for some reason, he gets whatever the hell he wants from the UFC and it pisses me off as a fan. I hope that GSP fights smart and doesn't try to trade with him like Sherk did ( idiot ). If he fights a smart fight, he can totally own BJ. If he comes in there looking to knock him out, he's going to lose. BJ has never been knocked out, and while I would love to see it, it won't be in this fight.

If BJ wins and holds both the 155 and the 170 titles - I may have to put out a hit on him. I hate him THAT much....

Old 11-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am pleased that someone has the same vitriol for Penn that I do. You are absolutely right about his fans. They all defected to Obama during the election, methinks.

I completely agree that Penn should not have a title fight. He shouldn't have had a title fight at light weight either. Should have been Huerta and Florian for the title (of course we now know how that would end)

Penn left the welters a loser. He couldn't beat ANYONE. I think he should fight Josh Koscheck before moving on. I hate Kos too, but not near as bad as BJ. At least Kos has game.

I disagree about what happened to GSP after the Serra fight. He came back a MONSTER. He made Hughes his girlfriend during that 2nd fight. I don't think there are many who could beat him without having a meteor sent by God to crush him from orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If BJ wins and holds both the 155 and the 170 titles - I may have to put out a hit on him. I hate him THAT much....
Don't leave a brotha at home with his shiny gun just sittin' there doing nuthin'...

Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Well I want to join your "Penn is a Pr**k" fan club. Can't stand that arrogant punk! Hell i'm 47 and i'll fight him right now. Running a close 2nd are the gangbangers posing as fighters Diaz brothers.
I think Matt Hughes and Josh Koscheck are pretty good guys. Koscheck is a local guy and Matt hughes, I think, is a class act.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I am pleased that someone has the same vitriol for Penn that I do. You are absolutely right about his fans.
I knew I liked you.

Quote:
I hate Kos too, but not near as bad as BJ. At least Kos has game.
BJ has a God given ability that is almost unmatched, but his work ethic and his head are classic examples of a common occurrence in professional sports. The million dollar body and the $0.10 head.

Quote:
I disagree about what happened to GSP after the Serra fight.
It's actually on record and GSP has talked about it openly. That was his first title defense, after reclimbing the ladder to take the belt from Hughes, he had finally achieved his dream - World Champion. Then Serra comes out of, literally, nowhere after winning the TUF show and knocks him out, something that NO ONE had ever done. Not only that, but in the first Serra fight, GSP was confused, kept off balance and had trouble engaging Serra on his terms. When he got beat, he freely admits that it crushed him, emotionall.

Quote:
He came back a MONSTER. He made Hughes his girlfriend during that 2nd fight. I don't think there are many who could beat him without having a meteor sent by God to crush him from orbit.
He was off over 4 1/2 months before coming back to fight Koscheck to a decision. A guy today who he would KILL in the ring. He was taken to a decision by a wrestler with limited striking.

THAT GSP - the one who lost to Serra and came back to fight a mediocre fight against Kos would get destroyed by the GSP that had the "breakthrough" ( his words ) in his therapy and took the Hughes fight on short notice when Serra got hurt.

His fight with Hughes was a destruction of the most decorated, dominant champion in UFC History. We met Hughes in Vegas last year, I posted a picture of my girl with Hughes and he is actually one hell of a nice guy actually. But GSP that came out of that decision with Kos, and the time in counseling came out the Monster you are talking about.

Quote:
Don't leave a brotha at home with his shiny gun just sittin' there doing nuthin'...
Texas is a hell of a lot closer to Hawaii than Seattle. That's all I am saying...

Old 11-23-2008, 12:00 AM   #25

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

What happened to Andrei Arlovski?

What happened to Vitor Belfort?

And where is Yves Edwards?

If Arlovski grows his hair back (which is the only time he won fights), could he take Lesnar?

And has anybody from the TapouT show competed in a big show?

Old 11-23-2008, 12:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
What happened to Andrei Arlovski?

What happened to Vitor Belfort?

And where is Yves Edwards?

If Arlovski grows his hair back (which is the only time he won fights), could he take Lesnar?

And has anybody from the TapouT show competed in a big show?
1) He's fighting for Affliction. He just beat his second IFL heavyweight Roy Nelson by TKO/KO. He is slated to fight the mighty Fedor in January

2) He's fighting for Affliction for the moment. He just beat Terry Martin by KO in July. Don't know what he is up too, but he had some personal issues for awhile and there was the whole, I want to represent Brazil in the Olympics in boxing fantasy he had for awhile...

3) He just fought Friday night for Strike Force in a fight against Duane "Bang" Ludwig, who was a last minute replacement for Josh Thompson, the Champion of Strike Force. He lost, and he's lost 5 of his last 8 and 7 of his last 11. He has changed camps, to ATT, and has shown improvement, but the game has slowly passed him by I am afraid. Undercard status, at best, at this point for him...

4) No. Arlovski doesn't have the take down defense against Lesnar and his Sambo has looked HORRIBLE lately. Nelson, who is a 265 brown belt in jits controlled him and made him work off his back in a VERY uncomfortable to watch fashion for almost 3 minutes.

Tapout fighters? Maybe on the undercards, but I don't think they have hit the mainstream with their TV show fighters yet. If you count their stable of fighters, hell yes, years ago with Pat Militech - he was their first signed fighter....

JD

Old 11-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for filling the gaps, Mr. D.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #28

And WEC 37 happened a night or so ago. Whoopee. Another card filled with lightweights, super lightweights and bantamweights no one has ever heard of before. I was impressed with some submissions, but nothing really noteworthy other than the Title Defense.

Miguel Torres ( 35-1 ) beat the hell out of Manny Tapia to retain his belt. He pretty much put on an @ss whooping clinic on the number one contender. These guys fight at 135, so it's a lot of leather, going really fast, and then one of them goes to sleep. Not boring fights, but not overly MMA technical either. I guess you get your monies worth since the WEC is on free TV.

Ultimate Fight Night Live was set with last night's last episode of TUF. Phillipe Nover will most likely destroy Efrain Escudaro for the 155 contract. BJJ Uber Black Belt Vinicius Magalhaes ( Vinny ) will most likely put a wicked submission on wrestling powerhouse Ryan Bader for the 205 contract.

Junie Browning finally got his ass beat, which was nice since he was a little punk most of the show.

Frank Mir is supposedly training in Vegas and looks in horrible shape for this upcoming fight with Big Nog. Reports say Mir is training mostly on his Jits with some stand up, but as always, his cardio is taking a back seat. One of the best big men on the ground, Frank Mir is an enigma when it comes to his training "habits" having once been quoted saying "I would rather be beaten with a 2x4 than run a mile" - Now that's funny, I don't care who you are...

Expect Big Nog to beat Mir in the third to set up a match with Lesnar by Feb./March.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm kinda in a weird place with the UFC anymore. It seems like square dancing with the pairings anymore, and I'm getting the perception that nobody dominates, and holds a title for any length of time anymore.

Nobody in WEC excites me at all, and all of my old favorites are at Affliction.

World Combat League appeals to the purist in me. This brings back old school Superfoot Wallace-type action, and if a fight is less than exciting, it's over quickly.

Has the success of MMA somehow sabotaged itself? The next UFC card, full of big fights, seems like more of the same to me. Jackson-Silva looks mildly interesting, I like Griffin, but I'm not jumping up and down about this.

Am I jaded, and is this just me?

Old 12-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #30

The WEC puts on good fight cards, but they don't have anything but the real lightweight fighters anymore. They merged their meager Heavyweight and Middleweight divisions, and their dismal 205#'s with the UFC, their parent company. Most of their shows now are going to be 170# and under fighters who got their records on smaller shows. It's like the JV for the UFC for 155# and 170#

StrikeForce always puts on good cards, but they only do it about once every two or so months. They just don't have the financial backing that the UFC does.

Oddly enough, the smaller promoters that have embraced the UFC way of doing business, like MFC out of Canada who shares contract status with the UFC on people like Jason McDonald, have done really well and been able to put on monthly shows that appeal to a lot of fans.

Go against the UFC and see what happens. EliteXC / Affliction and a slew of others.

Mark Cuban's HDNet is actually doing the best overall job of giving people exposure and a chance to "make it". HDNet has about 10 hours a week of MMA coverage from smaller shows around the country and they have some pretty good fights on some of the cards.

Then you have the rebels, like Matt Linland up in Oregon who has been promoting for a while now and his fight cards, while okay, aren't anything to write home about. They recently got a deal with HDNet, so maybe a couple of their shows will be broadcast, and with the influx of money, they can afford some better production quality. Or perhaps some title belts that don't look like they were made by an 8th grade metal shop class.

DREAM in Japan is doing modest numbers, their gate is good, but their TV numbers are WAY down. In Japan DREAM is on live and free TV, then the promoters make BANK by running millions of commercials. They aren't getting the viewers because the Japanese like three types of fights. Big names from PRIDE that they know ( Cro Cop / Fedor / Barnett / etc / that they no longer have under contract) destroying people - which is smaller, underskilled fighters getting thrown to the wolves. Japanese born fighters against Brazilians - or freak show fights were you have someone like Bob Sapp ( 325 of mostly muscle ) against someone like a Cro Cop ( 225 ) or Fedor ( 245ish ) against 1-0 ( at the time ) Hong Man Choi ( who was 7'2" and weighed in at like 320 or something ). I don't see them making it into 2010 at the way they are going.

As for the UFC - They will keep marching along. They have cards on the 10th, the 13th and then the HUGE card on the 27th, which is a lot of shows this month alone.

Their problem is they have too many "named" fighters that they still believe can headline a card. Mike Swick and Josh Koscheck are not headliners. Michael Bisping is NOT a headline/main event fighter. Until people stop watching the cards that are crap, they will continue to give us a good card, like the 27th which will be FANTASTIC, then a couple of mediocre ones. Like fight night live on the 13th which is basically going to be all C-level or lower fighters.

As for Forrest/Rashad - I hope Forrest keeps his head down and keeps training like the mad man that he has always been. He's fighting out of Extreme Couture, or was at last I heard, which is at a cross-roads at the moment. Evans is fighting out of Greg Jackson's camp, who I believe is hands down the TOP training camp out there right now. Greg Jackson is a master at picking fighters apart and tailoring a game plan around them. Forrest can take a hell of a punch, and I think his ground game is superior to Rashad's "wrestling" if you can call it that. Straight up, I think Forrest out works him and beats him by decision, or a late submission, but the "X" factor is what does Greg Jackson have up his sleeve. If Rashad wins I will NOT be buying any cards that he has a title defense on because I can't stand that guy.

Wanderlai/Rampage - This is going to be a good fight. Wand won both their previous fights by using his Thai clinch and PUNISHING Rampage to the mid-section with knee bomb after knee bomb. Rampage is coming off his "mental breakdown" and has been training exclusively over in England with Wolf's Lair - whom I don't regard as even a "good" team. They only have one fighter and that's Bisping. If Rampage comes in soft, Wand is going to kill him, again. I can't honestly see Rampage winning this after the way Wand looked in destroying Jardine ( a Greg Jackson fighter oddly enough ) in like :40 of the first.

So there is my take on it Benning...