The Official MMA Thread - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

So what is the big fight for 09?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Dillinger, I too missed this thread when you started it. Forgive me, I am unworthy. I just now linked onto the sight and made a donation. Dana White is absolutely right when he says that "times are tough but are a lot tougher for the injured soldiers who fight for us".
As for the outcome of the Couture/Lesnar match, Randy's game plan was working pretty damn good until he got caught. You don't have to have an awesome standup game when you have hands the size of Brock's. You just have to get lucky once or twice.
Like everyone else apparently thought, Brock should not have been eligible for a title shot. He has not earned his wings and has not proven himself.
I believe that Mir will defeat Minotauro and will also beat Lesnar again. Mir may not be the outstanding athlete these other fighters are but his jiu-jitsu is awesome. And his ability to take a punch is pretty darn good too. The whole time Lesner had him on the ground pounding on him Frank was looking for the submission. And he got it.
Dillinger, thank you for supplying the link and reminding us that we should do what we can for our troops. You think Obama will donate?

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #13

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Chop - Thanks for donating brother. I have read rumors that Dana and the UFC plan on matching the donations, may or may not happen, but either way - the moeny goes to the good cause.

I have to agree that Randy had a great game plan - and it was working quite well. Randy got caught - just the same way Chuck got caught by first Rampage and then again by Rashad. Were there holes in both game plans that led to them getting "caught"? Absolutely.

Brock throws a big right hand, as evidenced by Herring first and then by what happened to Randy. Because of his reach, you need to circle away from his big right and create angles - something that Kenny Florian, and God help for invoking his name because I think the guy is a complete sh!t fighter - Machida *pukes outright* do really well.

With the heavyweights, you don't get the same concentration on true jits or true foot movement like with the lighter weightclasses. What you do get, are some exciting fights, some great athletes, and some

I was at Mir/Lesnar one ( at the same time as SHOT & the timing was PERFECT ). Mir got caught early, he wasn't expecting to be taken down that quickly. While he was willing to pull guard against Brock, he wasn't ready to be taken down, put in side control, and when he was trying to hip out ( a perfect jits move from the side control ) he was being hammered in the head by those same big hamhocks that caught both Heath and Randy.

Mazzagatti stopped the fight and issued a warning, but what wasn't broadcast for the TV world was at the weighs they talked about the 4 ounce gloves and how they needed special ones for Brocks' hand size. 4 ounces is 4 ounces, spread across 2 inches or 9 inches, there is a hell of a difference in the depth of the padding.

Now, when the fight went back to the ground, Mir was actually put in a worse situation, what few haters realize, and then he pulled off the kneebar.

Lesnar is still in horrible "shape" for a ground game against a master jiu-jitsu guy like Mir or Big Nog - the question is who?

I love both of those guys, Mir is one of my favorites of all time, but Big Nog is one of the most durable fighters I have ever seen.

Cro-Cop wailed on him and wailed on him and beat him up, down and sideways, for the better part of 20 minutes and Nog sunk in one slick assed arm bar close to the end of the round and won the fight.

Mir/Nog is going to be a fight everyone that loves the ground game is going to love, one everyone wants to see, even me - but there are a lot of us that don't want to see either guy lose.

I see Nog beating Mir 6 or 7 times out of 10. Mir can be knocked out and Nog can't, atleast not by Mir - unless he has SERIOUSLY trained his stand up more in prep for the fight. Nogs submissions are smooth, more like a boa constrictor. Mir's are like a car crash, like Barnett's, he grabs a hold of something and tries to tear it completely off your body. This is going to be a great fight - I just don't want either guy to lose it.

As for the winner versus Brock - That is going to be interesting. Nog can take much more punishment than Mir, so he has a great chance against him, but either guy can easily submit Lesnar and unify the belt as long as they get a good ground position to work from.

As we have seen from Mir/Lesnar one, and nor Lesnar/Randy, when that big bastard gets side control and can start hitting you in the head, he doesn't do a lot of damage, but he can control you and keep you there until they stop the fight.

Either way, that Dec 27th card is going to determine A LOT as to what 2009 is going to bring.

Excellent post by the way Chop. I love talking weapons and MMA - two of my favorite things.

Big props for donating to the card too, thank you!

JD

Old 11-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you sir! Those are my two favorite subject as well. Well, actually there is another that sits at the top but this isn't the forum for it. LOL!

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

And how about that upcoming GSP/Penn fight? The thought of BJ Penn gargling GSP's leather makes me feel all warm inside. Penn obviously forgot why he ran screaming from the welter division.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
So what is the big fight for 09?
GSP and Anderson Silva find a weight class that works for them both. It'll be the fight of this half of the century

Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopkick View Post
Well, actually there is another that sits at the top but this isn't the forum for it. LOL!
100% Agreed! You & I will get along just fine I think... LOL

Old 11-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
100% Agreed! You & I will get along just fine I think... LOL
Amen, brother!

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Old 11-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
And how about that upcoming GSP/Penn fight? The thought of BJ Penn gargling GSP's leather makes me feel all warm inside. Penn obviously forgot why he ran screaming from the welter division.
Absolutely! I cannot wait for that beatdown! If GSP comes out like he did against that A**HOLE Serra, he should have no problem.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 PM   #20

Let's see - in other MMA news. Last night Strike Force, which is one of the last two "big" challengers to the UFC held a bit of a lackluster fight card.

Kim Sugar Free Couture - Randy's wife, rebounded from her 0-1 showing against some gal who, literally, broke Kim's lower jaw in HALF in her first fight. I forget who Kim's opponent was, as will most of the universe in about 2 days because the gal really had no interest in getting hit, which is kind of a pre-requisite to MMA I am afraid.

Babalu, formerly of the UFC but got kicked out for holding a choke on David Heath well past the tap, "won" his first title last night. Hard to believe, since the guy has fought EVERYBODY out there. He cut champ Bobby Southworth with a nasty elbow in the first to cause a medical stoppage. Not a great way to win your first belt, but congrats to Babalu. He's a good fighter, he just doesn't have the best head on his shoulders and isn't the best rep for the sport ( see also the Diaz Brothers, Charles Crazy Horse, & BJ Penn ).

In the co-main event Terry Martin, who was last seen cleaning Chris Leben's clock for most of the fight before catching a bomb to the chin in the last 30 seconds to get knocked damn near dead. Got his release from the UFC and ended up in a co main event against Scott Smith, who recently got the hell beat out of him on EliteXC's next to last card on CBS by Robbie Lawler. How the hell did these two guys get co-main event status - household names. Smith, who's nickname is Hands of Steel, proved if he can actually hit someone ( see the second Lawler fight ) he has the power to put just about anyone on the deck and dumped Martin face down in about 20 or 30 seconds of the first round. Kind of a let down actually. I was hoping for a couple of good rounds of slugfest.

But, what are you going to do??

Big love to HDNet for carrying the card for free, if you don't have HDNet and you are fan of MMA, you need to get it. They have the best MMA coverage from all over the globe and all of it's part of their normal programming.