The Official MMA Thread - Page 184
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #1831
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I love watching any MMA events!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:07 PM   #1832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger
Not much activity in this thread - any MMA fans on the site anymore?

Be interested to hear your thoughts on upcoming fights, potentional fights you want to see, who you think should be on the Top 5 pound for pound list, etc.

JD
I can't wait for the Silva/Sonnen fight. You just have to like Sonnen!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #1833

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
I can't wait for the Silva/Sonnen fight. You just have to like Sonnen!!!
Sweet. Another MMA guy. *respect*

You know, it's no so much that I 'like' Sonnen (the guy is a federally charged crook and a liar, not to mention his whole "low T" excuse for taking banned substances) but I can't look away when he is holding a press conference and he is a juggernaut in the ring. Seriously the guy just walks through people and drags them to the ground. I am definitely looking forward to the rematch. I might even buy this one just to watch Silva, a guy I used to really like, get pummeled and finally cough up the belt.

Speaking of which, why hasn't GSP been stripped of his belt? He has been on the shelf for MORE than a year since his last defense. I know that Condit has the Interim belt, but still....

Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #1834

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Where the hell have i been... just found this thread

Quote:
You know, it's no so much that I 'like' Sonnen (the guy is a federally charged crook and a liar, not to mention his whole "low T" excuse for taking banned substances) but I can't look away when he is holding a press conference and he is a juggernaut in the ring. Seriously the guy just walks through people and drags them to the ground. I am definitely looking forward to the rematch. I might even buy this one just to watch Silva, a guy I used to really like, get pummeled and finally cough up the belt.

For some reason I do like Sonnen, but i still want Silva to win...yet want Sonnen to beat the crap out of him
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #1835

Quote:

Sweet. Another MMA guy. *respect*

Speaking of which, why hasn't GSP been stripped of his belt? He has been on the shelf for MORE than a year since his last defense. I know that Condit has the Interim belt, but still....
It has been a long time for GSP. Didn't he blow out his knee? I really like Condit, i watched him when he was in the WEC. The guy that Faber has to fight looks damn tough!!

Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #1836

Quote:
It has been a long time for GSP. Didn't he blow out his knee? I really like Condit, i watched him when he was in the WEC. The guy that Faber has to fight looks damn tough!!
I believe he had knee surgery, I don't know if it was blown out, or an ACL/MCL thing. He has been on the shelf for awhile.

Condit was a guy I watched in the WEC and said "He'll never hang in the UFC" and I still believe that. He fought the smartest fight possible when he fought Diaz for the title, but he didn't do any real damage. Training with Greg Jackson, the smartest man in MMA, is definitely going to help him, but I don't know what he is going to do against GSP.

GSP does the final 3-4 weeks of his pre-fight camp with Greg Jackson and Jackson corners him, so who does Yoda back in this fight?

Faber was slated to fight Cruz, but Domick needs knee surgery too. I believe he is fighting Renan Pegado, who needed three rounds to get a decision against Scot Jorgensen (the two tone wonder) - so I don't know how truly dangerous he is going to be to a guy like Urijah. He has a lot of submission victories but they are all on small shows against guys that aren't exactly known commodities. This will be an interesting test for him as I know that Urijah is hungry to get a belt again.

While NOT a big Faber fan, I don't think he can be taken lightly....

JD

Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #1837

Quote:

I believe he had knee surgery, I don't know if it was blown out, or an ACL/MCL thing. He has been on the shelf for awhile.

Condit was a guy I watched in the WEC and said "He'll never hang in the UFC" and I still believe that. He fought the smartest fight possible when he fought Diaz for the title, but he didn't do any real damage. Training with Greg Jackson, the smartest man in MMA, is definitely going to help him, but I don't know what he is going to do against GSP.

GSP does the final 3-4 weeks of his pre-fight camp with Greg Jackson and Jackson corners him, so who does Yoda back in this fight?

Faber was slated to fight Cruz, but Domick needs knee surgery too. I believe he is fighting Renan Pegado, who needed three rounds to get a decision against Scot Jorgensen (the two tone wonder) - so I don't know how truly dangerous he is going to be to a guy like Urijah. He has a lot of submission victories but they are all on small shows against guys that aren't exactly known commodities. This will be an interesting test for him as I know that Urijah is hungry to get a belt again.

While NOT a big Faber fan, I don't think he can be taken lightly....

JD
The last few fights of Fabers I watched he didn't seem like the Faber of old when I first started watching him in the WEC. He doesn't look hungry enough to me lately! I do not like Cruz, he seems to cocky and I wish he was fighting so Faber could open a can on his ass!!! I don't think Condit can handle GSP, but GSP has had his moments of WTF just happened(Matt Serra)!!!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1838

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Renan Barao is fabers opponent. Hes got an almost 30 win streak coming in. While not big names.... his wins are professional bouts. So glad I found this thread. I will go on record saying I liked the WEC better as a stand alone. It makes me happy to see so many of those fighters doing so well in the UFC.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #1839

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKooEKoo
Renan Barao is fabers opponent. Hes got an almost 30 win streak coming in. While not big names.... his wins are professional bouts. So glad I found this thread. I will go on record saying I liked the WEC better as a stand alone. It makes me happy to see so many of those fighters doing so well in the UFC.
Like Jose Aldo, Brian Stann, "Cowboy" Cerrone, all of them have been doing real well in the UFC!!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #1840

Quote:
The last few fights of Fabers I watched he didn't seem like the Faber of old when I first started watching him in the WEC. He doesn't look hungry enough to me lately! I do not like Cruz, he seems to cocky and I wish he was fighting so Faber could open a can on his ass!!! I don't think Condit can handle GSP, but GSP has had his moments of WTF just happened(Matt Serra)!!!!!
The Matt Serra fight was a fluke. GSP retooled his training, his nutrition and even went to a sports shrink after that loss. No way he suffers that kind of defeat again, plus Condit doesn't have that kind of one punch power.

I like GSP when he fights, but he has been nursing this knee for a year plus. Let's get a new champion if you want to sit on the sidelines, we need a title defense on every other card at the least. That means you too Anderson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKooEKoo View Post
I agree the guy has 30 fights, but a lot of them are on really small shows where the opponents are probably working guys who MIGHT get the week before the fight off to concentrate on weight cutting. If he was THAT good, I would think we would see him before he reaches his 20th fight (see Jon Jones)

As for the WEC importation, I am not ready to crown them the second coming yet. They are doing fair enough against other guys who weren't in the UFC (Condit/Diaz - Stann/Rodney Wallace - Stann/Massenzio - Cerrone/Siver) they have faired average at best against the bigger UFC "contenders":

Condit/Kampmann
Stann/Davis
Stann/Sonnen
Cerrone/Nate Diaz

I think a more rich talent pool is definitely worth having, and I am glad they combined the organizations, but of the WEC guys only Condit has a belt and his is interim.

Scratch that, Ben Henderson also has a belt and he won a 5 round boring ass decision, but that was not his fault. Frankie Edgar sucks....

But I am ready for the July 4th card.

JD