Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

^ Amen to that brother. I can't STAND the Diaz sisters and the sooner they both get busted for drugs and sent away from their gang banging excuse for a life, the better.

I don't care for Guida one way or the other, he doesn't finish fights, but he is always a prime cardio machine and the fights are at least entertaining.

That said, I hope he opens up a can of Whoop Ass like Diaz has never seen before....

JD

Old 01-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #122

Okay, so it's me and Ineffable picking BJ to be beaten down like a dog by GSP in one little day away - so is anyone speaking for that little Hawaiian Loud Mouth?

Anyone willing to put a wager on it? Signature bet anyone?

JD

Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #123

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Penn is going to use the same "stick and run" tactic that he pulled on Sherk. He'd rather be seen as a coward and win on points then step into the mix and have his face immortalized on a GSP Wheaties box.

BJ doesn't have knock out power so as long as GSP has a pulse, he should maul Penn like a pitbull's chew toy.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #124

Im with you my bet would be on GSP. Penn is beyond his prime he isn't couture who can do it until hes fifty he wants his belt back but i saw the first fight and i think that GSP will do it again

Old 01-30-2009, 06:37 PM   #125

Ineff - I would have to disagree on Penn's power, he has some vicious KO's ( check out the Caol Uno fight for example - and Uno was SUPPOSED to be number 2 in the world at 155 at the time - BJ was like number 5 or 6 ).

In their first fight BJ stood in the pocket and pounded on George pretty good. George definitely earned that split decision victory by taking quite a few shots to the grill.

Expect that to happen again as well. BJ has good stand up, but he has very hands. GSP, however, has been doing martial arts since he was like 4. The first time they met, GSP was able to take BJ down, pretty much at will, but he was only a purple belt in BJJ.

Penn was the first ever non Brazilian to earn a Black Belt and the first non Brazilian to win an all submission tournament in Brazil. So, GSP played it safe on the ground and used his hands and his elbows, but never really made an attempt to pass guard.

This time I expect him to use his new black belt in BJJ to improve his position, like he did against Fitch, and then rain some heavy hands and elbows down on the pineapple.

I don't see Penn being able to submit GSP, because George is much bigger and stronger, plus he's a terror on the ground, the only way I see BJ winning is a flash knockout like he did against Sherk ( or Uno ).

WAR GSP!!

JD

Old 01-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #126
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

GSP is the ****.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:44 PM   #127

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If GSP loses. I am personally flying to France-Canadia and shooting him in the testicles with a potato gun.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #128

The betting line is at about +165 for GSP & -135 for Penn - so George is the favorite, but not by much.

I personally have the edge to GSP being MUCH higher just based on the caliber of fighters he has fought lately and how much bigger he is then Penn. There will be a 15 pound, probable, weight difference, with GSP being the better natural athlete...

However the rest of this card is going to suck... and not in Matt's favorite way either.

JD

Old 01-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
The betting line is at about +165 for GSP & -135 for Penn - so George is the favorite, but not by much.

I personally have the edge to GSP being MUCH higher just based on the caliber of fighters he has fought lately and how much bigger he is then Penn. There will be a 15 pound, probable, weight difference, with GSP being the better natural athlete...

However the rest of this card is going to suck... and not in Matt's favorite way either.

JD
GSP has monkey arms too. Those things are just too long.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
GSP has monkey arms too. Those things are just too long.
So does Penn though, his reach is wider than he is tall. This is going to be a good fight, but I don't think Penn has a shot without a flash knockout.

And, quickly checking the records...

GSP has two loses on his record. One was an armbar submission to Hughes back in Oct of '04 and one was his recent TKO to Matt Serra, which I am pretty sure hell froze over....

Serra beat BJ by decision back in 2002 and only Hughes has stopped BJ with punches/elbows.

GSP definitely has better Ground and Pound than Hughes did, so I like his chances on the ground. Standing up is where I am scared. If GSP tries to trade like Sherk did, it's going to be a long night.

But - The ACE is that GSP is training with Greg Jackson's camp. Yoda is the A Number One tactician in the game right now ( see Rashad Evans, Keith Jardine, Joey Villasenor, Nate Marquardt, etc ) and his game plans work pretty damn well. Ask Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell what it's like fighting a Jackson prepared fighter.

JD