The Official MMA Thread - Page 103
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #1021
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts.
Depends on your background, but I would leave that assessment to the guys who actually use it.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:37 AM   #1022

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My son (a black belt in TKD) used to compete in open Karate tournaments but he was generally disqualified for being "to rough". The karate guys had pretty forms and dances - but most didn't actually fight...

PUleeeeeese....I was DQ'd from a tournament as a greenbelt in 1994 for breaking a tkd guys nose when HE RAN INTO IT!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #1023

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
That doesn't make much sense to me. TKD shouldn't even qualify as a martial arts, IMO. If Karate is utter worthless as a martial art, TKD is its retarded step brother. It's all legs and feet and no hands. Tell me where in the world that can possibly be useful?
Uselsss??? How many years in karate do you have to make that assertion?

Note: Karate has been watered down and few real karate schools are out there. I would say mainstream mcdojo tippy tappy tag karate is uselsss. Real karate is hard and not many have the heart to withstand the training.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 AM   #1024

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
My son (a black belt in TKD) used to compete in open Karate tournaments but he was generally disqualified for being "to rough". The karate guys had pretty forms and dances - but most didn't actually fight...
Also NGIB, I have seen good TKD guys out there, no joke. I have never seen a good ATA Dojang and I don't believe one exists. They are just a belt factory pumping out promotions with every ching of the register.

TKD have excellent foot techniques if and only IF they train "Korean Karate" like Chuck Norris did in his day. They just don't fight like that anymore.

It's all in the way you train, not the style it comes from.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #1025

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

All I can say about TKD is the dojang my kids went to will pass a kid with an outstanding even though he can do no jump kicks. He is passed of because the more they give the kid belts the more money his parents pump into the dang place.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #1026

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
All I can say about TKD is the dojang my kids went to will pass a kid with an outstanding even though he can do no jump kicks. He is passed of because the more they give the kid belts the more money his parents pump into the dang place.

My girlfriend started her son in ATA TKD a while back, even after I warned her against it. The time I visited he was learning a "form". It went something like 'Hickory dickory dock, the left arm blocks up top. The right punch goes the foot down low........hickory dickory dock.' I just about fell over..... I finally managed to talk her into letting him learn judo.

That coupled with the fact that I saw a few people wearing CAMOFLAGE BELTS...... What the!!!! Last I checked they had 15 belts in their "style."

oh my........

Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #1027

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

My son is a WTF sanctioned black belt and neither of his dojo's were a belt factory. His BB test took over 3 hours to complete. While TKD does tend to focus on the feet, my son always preferred using his hands and getting up close & personal...

Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #1028

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

the sad thing is is that ours was run by a olympic gold medelist in TKD and was the first women to win that medal and in winning that gold medal she defeated a korean for it. So she knows her stuff. Our one friend had their poor kid going 7 days a week some days over the summer he would do to two or three classes.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #1029

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
My son is a WTF sanctioned black belt and neither of his dojo's were a belt factory. His BB test took over 3 hours to complete. While TKD does tend to focus on the feet, my son always preferred using his hands and getting up close & personal...
There's nothing wrong with kicking techniques. They can be trained to be very fast, look at all the mma guys ko'd from a kick to the head they never saw coming.

Strange, TKD tends to be a long range art, but the beauty of martial arts is it can be personalized.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #1030

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Anywayssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.....

Back to the topic at hand.

Machida still sucks.

UFC 109 has Marquardt, and that is about it.

Strikeforce has an interesting card coming on Showtime on the 30th.

Cris Cyborg defends her title against Marloes Coenen, who is a pretty bad ass Dutch kickboxer in her own right. She is going to get destroyed, but she at least has taken a punch to the face before and can take a beating.

The fight I want to see this month though is Robbie Lawler versus Melvin Manhoef.

If you don't know who Melvin Manhoef is, check him out on his Pride fights from Japan. The guy is about 236 pounds of muscle jammed into a 185lb body. He hits like a truck and he has one motion: FORWARD.

Lawler is known for his knockout power and there is not going to be take down one in this fight. These are two bad boys who are going to go at it in the center of the cage until one of the them gets his lights turned out. This is going to be a very good fight.