The Official MMA Thread - Page 102
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #1011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Tough to say. Chuck is great for the sport, he is well spoken, his out of ring escapades are what every guy wants out of life ( fast cars, vacations, hot chicks ) but you never see him in legal trouble or in paternity trouble or embarassing the sport.

Looking back on his career, fans of the UFC will consider him great, fans of MMA will consider him a good fighter, at a great time, in the UFC.
All that, and you can't ever say he was boring to watch. With the sport's growing popularity, of course there is going to be better and/or different competition always coming up. But how much of this competition is false or overrated? You can't tell me every one of these title contenders haven't had a bit of chance/luck working their way at one time or another.

Why over-analyze good times???

Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #1012

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I think we're going to find that Machida is going to have a Penn-like drama surrounding him. Personally, I like him. He has talent. Is he the best 205er ever? I can't consider that a possibility right now...too early. If you want legitimacy, let Machida and Anderson Silva dance. Then we can talk greatness.

I never thought Liddell was a great 205er, and I agree that Tito's career is done, unless he can find a way to keep fighting Shamrock for money.
MAchida's biggest strength is his timing. He has better timing that most of the division because of his karate background. Karate is all about timing and distance..add years of playing tag and you get to be pretty good at it.

Tito always has an excuse.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:08 PM   #1013

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
MAchida's biggest strength is his timing. He has better timing that most of the division because of his karate background. Karate is all about timing and distance..add years of playing tag and you get to be pretty good at it.:
Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #1014

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
All that, and you can't ever say he was boring to watch.

Why over-analyze good times???
I would agree. Chuck was never in a fight that was boring to watch. He was in some fights that weren't true main event caliber, but the guy came to fight every single time he got in the ring and the fans always got their money's worth from Chuck. The guy is/was great for the sport, I just don't think he will be remembered as one of the best 205ers of all time when all is said and done.

I agree though, there is nothing wrong with his record or his performance. A lot of fighters wish they could have had half of a career that Chuck has had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
MAchida's biggest strength is his timing. He has better timing that most of the division because of his karate background. Karate is all about timing and distance..add years of playing tag and you get to be pretty good at it.
I could not possibly care less about the guy's timing. He sucks. Bottom line. If he had to fight in the old UFC, with no judges and with no time limits, he wouldn't be half the "fighter" he supposedly is. The guy can't finish a fight. Period.

He has had 8 fights in the UFC and has had 5 decisions.

He armbarred Sokoudjuo, which I am pretty sure could have been accomplished by any first year BJJ guy since Remmy has no ground game what so ever and was vastly over-rated when he came to the UFC.

He knocked out Thiago Silva and Rashad. That's it. Two guys.

Rua beat the hell out of him in the stand up, landed WAY harder shots, but Machida landed more little punches to earn a decision, which is why there was such an outcry for the rematch. *yawn*

Rampage has the best quote for Machida I have heard to date:

"I wouldn't know how to train for a fight with him because he is too damn boring to watch film on. All he does is dance around and run away."

Old 01-07-2010, 02:40 PM   #1015

Quote:
Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts.
Ugly, with bad skin, but somehow relevant because we are told it is??

Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #1016

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Ugly, with bad skin, but somehow relevant because we are told it is??
Useless despite the hype that promotes it....

Old 01-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #1017

Quote:
Useless despite the hype that promotes it....
*literally laughing out loud*

ZING!

That's yet another one on the belt for The Smartest Man on the Interwebz.

JD

Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #1018

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
That's yet another one on the belt for The Smartest Man on the Interwebz.

JD
You are too kind. Please do not inflate my ego any more as my body is attempting to proportion itself accordingly.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #1019

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

My son (a black belt in TKD) used to compete in open Karate tournaments but he was generally disqualified for being "to rough". The karate guys had pretty forms and dances - but most didn't actually fight...

Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #1020

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My son (a black belt in TKD) used to compete in open Karate tournaments but he was generally disqualified for being "to rough". The karate guys had pretty forms and dances - but most didn't actually fight...
That doesn't make much sense to me. TKD shouldn't even qualify as a martial arts, IMO. If Karate is utter worthless as a martial art, TKD is its retarded step brother. It's all legs and feet and no hands. Tell me where in the world that can possibly be useful?