The Official MMA Thread - Page 101
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #1001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

*shaking fist*

Damn you Benning, you stole MMA post 1,000 from me.....

Nobody wants to see Lesnar retire without getting beat for the title.

JD

Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #1002

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
*shaking fist*

Damn you Benning, you stole MMA post 1,000 from me.....

Nobody wants to see Lesnar retire without getting beat for the title.

JD
Please, delete my "Roland's" post. It was uncalled for.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #1003

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

After Machida mad Tito look like A bitch, I was positive Dana White would not have anything to do with him, since that was the 3rd or 4th straight loss.

Now, alledgedly, Tito has has back surgery, which is what he blamed those losses on.

And I was referring to a Anderson Sivla Vs Lidell. Its a new poster, just didn't have a date.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Please, delete my "Roland's" post. It was uncalled for.
I would never stoop so low. My Friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
After Machida mad Tito look like A bitch, I was positive Dana White would not have anything to do with him, since that was the 3rd or 4th straight loss.

Now, alledgedly, Tito has has back surgery, which is what he blamed those losses on.

And I was referring to a Anderson Sivla Vs Lidell. Its a new poster, just didn't have a date.
I don't know, Tito did catch him in a triangle with 30 seconds to go. Not an easy move to pull off, especially when someone like Machida is SUPPOSED to be a Brazilian Black Belt. I don't buy it. That guy sucks.

No one is going to pay to watch Anderson Silva fight Chuck. You thought Forrest got crushed? Forrest can at least take a punch. Chuck is done for in that department.

Anderson only has 1, maybe 2, fights on his contract left and the UFC has a non compete clause for all champions.

That means he fights at 185 and defends his title until he loses it, or retires flat out.

He can not fight his final fight for the UFC, leave with the belt, and sign with another organization.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #1005

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think we're going to find that Machida is going to have a Penn-like drama surrounding him. Personally, I like him. He has talent. Is he the best 205er ever? I can't consider that a possibility right now...too early. If you want legitimacy, let Machida and Anderson Silva dance. Then we can talk greatness.

I never thought Liddell was a great 205er, and I agree that Tito's career is done, unless he can find a way to keep fighting Shamrock for money.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #1006

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
I never thought Liddell was a great 205er, and I agree that Tito's career is done, unless he can find a way to keep fighting Shamrock for money.
OK, did you forget that Liddell beat Couture twice in epic battles??? Or that he proceeded to stomp everyone that stepped up to him, including Ortiz twice, that Brazilian and at least a couple others to retain the belt time after time? Granted that time is over, however he was great during that time.

Tito's a slouch.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 AM   #1007

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
OK, did you forget that Liddell beat Couture twice in epic battles??? Or that he proceeded to stomp everyone that stepped up to him, including Ortiz twice, that Brazilian and at least a couple others to retain the belt time after time? Granted that time is over, however he was great during that time.

Tito's a slouch.
No, I didnt forget, but clearly Randy was experimenting with different fighting styles and focuses. In pure Randy-esque fighting style, Chuck cannot compete.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #1008

I am going to have split sides here. In the first fight, Randy stayed tight on the inside and used short, crisp, straight and uppercut punches to beat Chuck.

Chuck went back and worked on that, came back and worked Randy like a clock in the second fight, dropping him for good in the first round.

In the third fight, Randy lasted a little longer, but was still outgunned in the punching department.

Now, he did reign as champ for awhile, but I would not call that reign "great" in the Matt Hughes, Anderson Silva, clear out the division style of greatness.

A lot of the really good 205lb fighters were fighting in Japan in PRIDE. He did beat Overream in PRIDE in '03, so credit that.

However, in his UFC defenses he fought Randy 3 times, he fought Renato twice ( submission guy with no striking ), he fought Jeremy Horn ( submission guy with no striking ) he fought Tito twice and he fought Vernon "Tiger" White, who was like 40 when they fought. He also fought Vitor Belfort when Belfort was in the middle of his early mid life crisis and won a decision.

Of that list, Couture is in the Hall of Fame, and Vitor has a chance. Tito might get in if they count PPV sales, but not for fighting ability.

So, while Chuck was beating some decent fighters, he wasn't facing the best out there at the time.

When Rampage came over from another org, you saw what happened.

Wanderlai, past his prime as well, was a 3 round war, and well worth the price of the PPV. But that is his only win in the last 5 fights.

Shogun destroyed Chuck in about 4 minutes. Shogun was ALWAYS considered to be a better 205lb fighter when Chuck was laying waste to his division, but they never fought for the strap.

Tough to say. Chuck is great for the sport, he is well spoken, his out of ring escapades are what every guy wants out of life ( fast cars, vacations, hot chicks ) but you never see him in legal trouble or in paternity trouble or embarassing the sport. Great speaker when he put on center stage to promote, like when he was asked to go to the Phillipines ( he even learned some local phrases special for the press conference ) and he continues to be a great face for promotion.

Looking back on his career, fans of the UFC will consider him great, fans of MMA will consider him a good fighter, at a great time, in the UFC.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #1009

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

UFC 109 Geriatrics! err Relentless!

*Yawn*

Why isnt this one free?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #1010

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
UFC 109 Geriatrics! err Relentless!
funny right there! i would still pay money to watch Randy...if the rest of the card were worth watching. just dont see shelling out for this one though.
I think tito will be in the hall because his grudge with shamrock helped push UFC over the edge. He was a longtime champ, but that was arguably during its weakest period.
Chuck, will be in the Hall as he is a fan favorite and didnt fight any slouches. Babalu didnt have a good game plan, but only ever lost in the UFC to one person not named Chuck.
I think the jury is still out on Vitor and the Hall. His only true top win was against Rich Franklin. His last was by all rights a no contest against Randy. So against champs and former champs Vitor is 3 wins (Scott "Fat Man" Ferrozo, Randy (but already talked about that) and Rich; and 4 losses (Randy 2X, Chuck, and Tito). of those, he is 2-2 in title fights. did i miss anybody? if i didnt i dont think those are Hall numbers. time will tell in his return though.

Last edited by bigbad-ratman; 01-08-2010 at 11:51 PM.