The Official MMA Thread - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
If I had know THAT, I would not have spoken so boldly. Sherk is the hardest working man in MMA (IMO)

You actually went to one of these? I hear the cheap seats are $500 and up...
Agreed. Sherk, steroid controversy or not, is one of the hardest working, most dedicated members of the MMA community.

We were in Vegas for SHOT at the same exact weekend that UFC 81 was going on. The timing was perfect and my woman, God Bless her, started bidding on tickets at an online auction site she is a member of to get us in. It wasn't cheap, but it was a time that I will never forget. Got to see Mir submit Lesnar, got to see Big Nog put the choke on Big Timmah and got to see one hell of a great undercard.

Trust me on this, Lesnar is no joke and he is no flash in the pan. He is going to be on top, have a few ups and downs, but he is going to be a major force in the HW division for a LONG time to come....

Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #92

Default This one is for Ineff

In case you thought only you and I Hate BL*w J*b Penn

JD

Old 12-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #93

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh that was a breath of fresh air

I can't believe there are people who think Penn has a chance. Probably the same people that think Hamas is going beat Israel.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:51 PM   #94

Thought you might like that.

I think BJ has a chance. It's about the same as a snowball, hanging by a thread in the depths of Hell - but it's a chance. MMA has proven that ANYONE can do ugly things to ANYONE else every once in awhile....

Old 12-30-2008, 12:33 AM   #95

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I hope GSP sashes BJ to a bloody pulp then dry humps him on live PPV.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #96

So fellow MMA junkies, you are about to be given the gift of THREE Live Events over the next three weeks, one of which is free on Spike TV courtesy of our good friends at the UFC.

Jan 17th will see the first UFC event from Dublin, Ireland at the O2 arena. The headline features Rich "Ace" Franklin, who has been a buzz saw through everyone NOT named Anderson Silva, matching up against Dan "Hendo/Hollywood" Henderson at 205 lbs. Hendo is 1 and 2 in his UFC career and his one win was a decision.

This is a fight that true MMA Junkies have wanted to see for years, but because Pride and the UFC could never come to terms, it has taken until now.

The "winner" of this fight gets to coach TUF 9 in the USA vs. England. Michael "The Punk Bitch" Bisping is going to be the obvious coach for England, since they have ONE recognized fighter outside of the UK.

On the co-main event is an interesting match up that is a rematch of an UGLY first encounter.

Mark "The Hammer" Coleman versus Maurico "Shogun" Rua. In their first fight, which was a lop-sided, no weight class special that made PRIDE famous, Coleman took Rua down in the first 45 seconds of the first round and literally broke Rua's arm with the take down. Fight over - Rua on the shelf for 6 plus months in rehab.

Now, Coleman used to be roided to the gills and he used to fight at about 245 pounds. This fight is at 205 and Coleman hasn't fought a sanctioned event since October 2006, which was an armbar loss to Fedor in the second round.

The undercard is under impressive, but WHAT A SHOCK, Marcus "The Irish Hand Grenade" Davis is fighting on a card from the UK. Expect the locals to make him change his nickname again to the "The Celtic Warrior" for the PC Police.

Jan 24th gives us the sophmore card from T-shirt folks Affliction.

The main event is the Mighty Fedor ( Yawn ) versus Andre Arlovski. In what might FINALLY be a true test of Fedor against a true top 10 opponent from the HW category ( because that Tim Sylvia fight I will believe to my grave was a work and not a real fight by any means ) Arlovski comes from a similiar background, but has better hand skills.

Fedor recently lost his crown as the Sambo World Champion, the first time he has lost in Sambo since the beginning of time apparently and Arlovski is coming off two great performances against sub-par MMA heavyweights in Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson, both of IFL fame.

Arlovski has a Sambo championship in his past as well, he submitted Tim Sylvia to win his first UFC title, but Fedor is much better on the ground in my opinion. Arlovski is working with renowned boxing coach Freddy Roach, who is one of the best striking coaches out there and is a great tactician.

It would be foolish to bet against Fedor ( 28-1 ) and he truly is one of the nicest guys in the sport, HOWEVER - I can't F**KING stand his nut swinging fans who think the guy is the greatest fighter to ever grace the Earth, so I am rooting for Arlovski.

The undercard is impressive:

Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel -

Barnett has some of the NASTIEST submissions in the game. He is a slick guy on the ground at a style called Catch Wrestling, which is basically this - 1) get a hold of something that belongs to your opponent
2) Rip it off
He has wins over Randy Couture, Sam Schilt ( 2x ), Dan Severn, Fedor's younger brother Alexander, Big Nog ( decision ), Mark Hunt and Jeff Monson ( decision ).

Yvel is best known for any of the following in ring incidents: Biting an opponent ( 2x ), pushing a referee, hitting a referee ( knocking him out actually ), eye gouging, and one of my favorites trying to push his thumb into Don Frye's eye socket during a scramble on the ground. To say this guy is a dirty fighter is giving dirty fighters a bad name.

If Yvel tries something like that with Barnett, he is likely to permanetly lose the use of a limb because Barnett is no joke when he gets a hold of something with bad intentions.

Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Linland - 185lb contest that should produce fireworks. I don't like either fighter enough to care, but Vitor at one point was the best fighter in the world, other than Fedor of course, who had devastating power with both hands and a very good ground game. Linland is a former Olympic Gold Medalist and is a part time promoter. People still think he is relevant to the sport.... I don't agree.

Interesting fight of the card from the undercard: Paul Buentello vs. Kirill Sidellnikov - the kid they call "Baby Fedor". Guess who I want to win.

Jan 31st gives us UFC 94:

The fight card itself isn't worth a damn except for the Title Fight:

George "Rush" St. Pierre vs. Blow Job Penn for the 170# Title.

I can't TELL YOU how bad I want to see St. Pierre, literally, kill Penn in the ring. If there is a fighter I hate more than Penn, I haven't seen him fight yet. Classless in victory and defeat, completely self absorbed rich kid with million dollar talent and a 10 cent head, Penn is what is wrong with the sport right now - the "ME" Generation.

Since he is the current 155# champion, he felt the need to call out St. Pierre because he wanted a re-match after Pierre beat him by decision the first time. Not only is BJ not a 170# ranked fighter, but now the 155# belt is on hold for close to a year because of what BJ wants to do. Nice.

The sooner he gets hit by a bus the better for everyone in the sport.

Oh yeah, and in other who gives a crap news: Machida will be running away from someone else in the ring and refusing to actually fight, so he will get a decision based on the 9 strikes he throws, landing 8 of those, while his opponent has to constantly chase down "The Running Man".

AND Karo "The Bitch" Per-o-something-or-other finally got over his Anxiety Attacks and is man enough to step into a fight with a guy who is 10-0-1 with 2 whole fights in the UFC, Dong Hung Kim. Kim's last "win" was a spilt decision over Matt Brown. Kim will be playing the part of "can" for this event most likely with Joe Silva giving Karo an easy return fight.

JD

Old 01-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #97

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Bought a horrible cheap DVD the other day, so horrible that halfway through I just started watching the previews.

There he was, bigger than life, playing a cyborg, Ace Franklin.

WTF?

Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #98

LOL - MMA didn't pay as well back in the day. Rich was a known commodity, he was Middleweight Champ for like 2.5 years, and he has a following. You take whatever money they throw at you when you work piece meal per fight and you are 1099 Employee at that... LOL

Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #99

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Jan 17th will see the first UFC event from Dublin, Ireland at the O2 arena. The headline features Rich "Ace" Franklin, who has been a buzz saw through everyone NOT named Anderson Silva, matching up against Dan "Hendo/Hollywood" Henderson at 205 lbs. Hendo is 1 and 2 in his UFC career and his one win was a decision.

This is a fight that true MMA Junkies have wanted to see for years, but because Pride and the UFC could never come to terms, it has taken until now.
it should be a good fight. Franklin is ressureacting his career at 205, just as Silva decides he can eat 205's just as easily as the 180s. No breaks for Franklin.

Quote:
The "winner" of this fight gets to coach TUF 9 in the USA vs. England. Michael "The Punk Bitch" Bisping is going to be the obvious coach for England, since they have ONE recognized fighter outside of the UK.
"Punk bitch" is too kind. Matt Hammil destroyed Bisping and yet who wins the decision. That was the worst judging in any MMA event I have ever seen.

Quote:
Jan 24th gives us the sophmore card from T-shirt folks Affliction.

The main event is the Mighty Fedor ( Yawn ) versus Andre Arlovski. In what might FINALLY be a true test of Fedor against a true top 10 opponent from the HW category ( because that Tim Sylvia fight I will believe to my grave was a work and not a real fight by any means ) Arlovski comes from a similiar background, but has better hand skills.

Fedor recently lost his crown as the Sambo World Champion, the first time he has lost in Sambo since the beginning of time apparently and Arlovski is coming off two great performances against sub-par MMA heavyweights in Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson, both of IFL fame.

Arlovski has a Sambo championship in his past as well, he submitted Tim Sylvia to win his first UFC title, but Fedor is much better on the ground in my opinion. Arlovski is working with renowned boxing coach Freddy Roach, who is one of the best striking coaches out there and is a great tactician.

It would be foolish to bet against Fedor ( 28-1 ) and he truly is one of the nicest guys in the sport, HOWEVER - I can't F**KING stand his nut swinging fans who think the guy is the greatest fighter to ever grace the Earth, so I am rooting for Arlovski.
I got Fedor on this one. Arlovsky seems to have lost his edge with that full body wax. I love the description of his fans, but they are not near the nut jobs as the BJ Penn estrogen brigade.

Quote:
George "Rush" St. Pierre vs. Blow Job Penn for the 170# Title.

I can't TELL YOU how bad I want to see St. Pierre, literally, kill Penn in the ring. If there is a fighter I hate more than Penn, I haven't seen him fight yet. Classless in victory and defeat, completely self absorbed rich kid with million dollar talent and a 10 cent head, Penn is what is wrong with the sport right now - the "ME" Generation. The sooner he gets hit by a bus the better for everyone in the sport.
quoted for truth. Period.

Quote:
AND Karo "The Bitch" Per-o-something-or-other finally got over his Anxiety Attacks and is man enough to step into a fight with a guy who is 10-0-1 with 2 whole fights in the UFC, Dong Hung Kim. Kim's last "win" was a spilt decision over Matt Brown. Kim will be playing the part of "can" for this event most likely with Joe Silva giving Karo an easy return fight.

JD
I'll give Parisyan more respect here. He is a bit of a "donna", but one of the best MMA fights I have ever seen was he and Diego Sanchez. I never forgoet a good balls to the wall match of heart and skill. This one was among the best.

You didn't give too much to argue about. Those free cards are becoming more of a "is it worth my time" card. Almost anything in the UK is such a yawner, but even babies raised by wolves can see that Dana is up to something here. He's trying to create a rivalry or some such. Maybe he hopes to have a country versus country theme going on in the future? Probably how we end up getting "RollerBall" in the future.

Last edited by user4; 01-06-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #100

Dana did it with USA versus Canada and that, I believe, was the sight of GSP/Penn 1. It was good selling card by UFC standards at the time.

The UK is a free market, there is no heavy handed sanctioning body, and the UFC is using the UK as a stepping stone to get into the true EU market.

The Japanese market is played out with TONS of pomp and circumstance, which Affliction tried in their freshman show and it bombed, BIG TIME. It's a different audience in Japan. They like freak fights between guys 7 feet tall and guys who are 6 foot and 225. They like explosions and fireworks and lots of flash between the fights, but during the fights they are pretty silent while the fighters "work".

A traditional UFC card wouldn't work in Japan - at least not very well. Every MMA card in Japan is on live TV and they still sell out because the fans love the spectacle.

As for the cards IN the UK - They stock them with local fighters, not just Bisping, but other guys that are names over there, so the locals buy the cards and come out to the events. Much like Canada, if you put mediocre Canadian guys against medicore Americans, with one good fight for the main event, you can sell out because of country pride.

The UFC knows that and that is why we get the UK cards for free - it's no different than Fight Night live for the UFC. They get to sell advertising on Spike, which will probably make them more than straight PPV buys of the mediocre cards, all the while staying relevant and fresh in the audience minds that UFC = MMA

As for Fedor/Arlovski - I want to see a good fight. I don't think Fedor has fought a good fight in two years, at least, but he has been knocking cans over with the best Daisy Red Ryder out there.

I totally think the Sylvia fight was worked. Sylvia's manager was one of the money guys behind the promotion, a fledging promotion that paid $2 million dollars just for the RIGHTS to Fedor, then had to pony up another $400K for the Sylvia fight. Fedor loses his first fight, in the US, in a brand new promotion and what do you have? The Hindenberg part II that's what.

I hope Arlovski knocks the hell out of Fedor. He has proven he can punch, but he still hasn't proven he can take a punch.

One thing about Fedor, he has that loping, off balance, Mike Tyson early years type of punch thing going. A lot times he leaps into a punch, especially his left, which is Arlovski's strong side, so I am hoping that Andrei has watched lots of tape.

Dana has said he wants Arlovski back in the UFC, that of all the losses to the organization, he feels the worst about letting Arlovski get away. If Arlovski wins, Dana would hand him some SERIOUS bank to be able to promote him as the true #1 heavyweight in the world, holder of the YAMMA belt, and then bit him immediately for a title fight, and luck willing, a showdown with Randy ( or vice versa ) - the PPV sales would be through the roof if they had Arlovski the Fedor Killer vs. Mir or Lesnar and then Randy vs. Big Nog on the same card. Winner fights for the title in six months - it writes itself.

One thing is certain, for Affliction to make in through 2009 - they need to have a really good card, lots of entertaining fights, no stupid half time performance by a musci group 20 years past popular and keep the action and the event rolling. Don't try to make a 4 hour show out of 2 1/2 really good hours of fights and background on the fights. 30 minute breaks between fights killed their numbers last time when the UFC was putting on the Anderson Silva/James Irvin card at the same time. Affliction had decent buys, not great, going into the night, but their audience drifted to the free UFC event and Affliction got a lot of record and watch later viewers. While they still got the money for the buys, the fans in attendance were dismal - so no merchandise sales and Affliction is still some guys selling expensive T-shirts with a promotion that features Fedor - and that is about it....

JD