Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The Official MMA Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The Official MMA Thread

Okay, with the biggest fight card ever in the history of Mixed Martial Arts on this weekend, I thought it was time to have an official discussion thread about all things MMA.

Let's get a few ground rules out of the way.

It's called MMA - It is NOT called UFC, Ultimate Fighting, or TUF

The UFC is the largest organization in the sport, Dana White is a f**king genius and we have him, and the Fertitas, for going $40 Million Dollars IN DEBT to get the sport back into the mainstream where we can watch events, both free and on PPV, back in the United States after our politicians felt the need to ban it.

Give the UFC their proper respect, but they do not have all the best fighters, nor are they the only "game" in town.

Any MMA discussion is welcome, but let's give proper credit where it is due please.

So, now that we have that out of the way - UFC 91 is this weekend.

If you have been living under a rock, Randy Couture will be defending his Heavyweight Title against Brock Lesnar. Yes, the WWE guy. Turns out the guy is one hell of a former wrestler, NCAA, and while he is 2-1 in MMA competition, the guy is definitely a beast.

Randy on the other hand, is 44, going on 45, and is probably still one of the best tacticians in the game.

Who's going to win? I have no idea - but I do have some opinions on the undercard fights....

Fight of the Night, in my mind, is going to be Nate Quarry versus Demien Maia. Nate is a very good fighter, one hell of a good ground and pound fighter, but Maia may be the best BJJ Black Belt I have ever seen - and I have honestly seen, and rolled with, a few of them. Maia wins this fight with a slick submission. Possibly Submission of the Night

Gonzaga versus Hendricks is a battle of outsiders looking in. Gonzaga broke Coutures arm with one high kick and he knocked out the mighty Cro-Cop with a head kick from hell. However he has proven to have little, if any heart, when someone takes a fight to him. Werdum practically forced him to answer the bell out of fear of being embarassed as a coward, only to get stopped in round 2 in what can only be described as a beatdown. Hendricks is a first timer to the octagon who is 15-4, with his last list of wins over 5 guys who probably have day jobs and fight on small shows with a hope of making it big. In other words, this is his shot at the show and he got here beating guys who have little to no UFC level talent. Hendricks' strength is ground work, where Gonzaga has a black Belt. My prediction, Hendricks is being fed to the wolves. Gonzaga loses and he is probably out of the UFC, or resigned to finish out his contract on undercards. This will probably be a pretty easy one for Gonzaga.

Amir Sodollah, who won last season's episode of TUF, is out with an injury. His fight has been cancelled and one of the undercard fights has been moved up to the main event. I'd like to see Hazellet/Mccrory - but the UFC match makers seem to LOVE Jorge Gurgel, so we are going to see another "high energy" nothing really happening match and Gurgel will probably lose another fight in the UFC, though to be honest Aaron Riley hasn't had much luck in the Octagon, so maybe they are feeding him to Gurgel to get him back "on track" since they obviously aren't going to cut him....

Florian versus Stephenson is really a matter of who wants it more and who wants to stay an also ran in the 155 category.

Florian is better on the ground with his jits, but Stephenson is a good wrestler with a strong ground & pound. Florian is famous for having some of the sharpest elbows in the game and usually gets at least one warning about using them from the guard on the top of his opponents head. If Stephenson gets cut early, look for him to get pissed, get over aggressive and get caught by Florian. If they stand and trade, Florian has been training Muay Thai in Thailand and brought an instructor back to Mark Dellagrotto's camp in Boston, who also happens to have some of the best strikers outside of American Top Team. I predict Florian takes this one by submission....

So, there are my picks, what do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 AM   #2

I already got my ticket (living room) for this week end,and your right lesner is the size of a damn refrigerator . I gotta say i was kinda impressed with his mma development last fight all the training looks paying off. Im stumped as to who put money on. Rc may be getting up there in age for a fighter but he is still a tough sob

Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenwolf View Post
I already got my ticket (living room) for this week end,and your right lesner is the size of a damn refrigerator . I gotta say i was kinda impressed with his mma development last fight all the training looks paying off. Im stumped as to who put money on. Rc may be getting up there in age for a fighter but he is still a tough sob
I won $100 on Couture when he came out if his first retirement against Big Timmah. Everyone said he was washed up and couldn't hang with the current level of fighter. Needless to say, as I am getting up there in age, I kind of admire the hell out of the guy, his antics over the last year making him whine like a little girl with a skinned knee aside.

Lesnar looked really good against Herring, but Herring's best days are behind him and there were several ways to submit Lesnar from the bottom if Herring would have used the, supposed, brown ( I think ? ) belt in jits that he has. Lesnar does that same thing with Mir again, or Nog, or Werdum, or probably even Gonzaga and he gets subbed.

Randy fights well in the clinch and he is stronger than people give him credit for. Gonzaga outweighed him by like 20 or 30 pounds and Randy scouped him and dumped him so hard Gonzaga got his nose broke by either 1) Randy's head or 2) his own knee.

This fight is probably going to the ground and Randy has like 2, or maybe three, submissions in his whole career. That said, Lesnar is ripe for another submission loss.

Personally I want Randy to win and win big - early stoppage or submission. A guy with a 2-1 record becoming World Champ would be a non-stop running joke for ESPN and the mainstream market. However, whoever wins has to fight the winner of Big Nog / Mir - both of whom are masters on the ground - so Saturday's championship winner better get used to fighting off their backs, get used to escaping punishing submission holds and better learn to defend both their legs and their necks...

Should be a good fight card though.....

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-14-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

All the big names that Dana has pulled from outside have fared less than impressively. Crocop was hugely disappointing. Herring equally disappointing.

Lesnar, despite the hype, has yet to be truly tested. His tapout to Mir proved that he has alot to learn. But he was a wrestler with no concept of jiujitsu at the time. He's come a long way despite having to face that loss after all the hype that came with him.

What works out for him in this fight is that they are both wrestlers. And guys who started out in one discipline tend to resort to that when the chips are down.

I will never write off Randy, simply because he keeps proving detractors wrong.

I know this is billed as the biggest fight in recorded history, but I frankly had more passion about Ortiz-Liddell, and Ortiz-Shamrock had the stuff that great fights are made of.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
All the big names that Dana has pulled from outside have fared less than impressively. Crocop was hugely disappointing. Herring equally disappointing.
I would agree and disagree with you. Some of the names pulled in from Japan ( PRIDE ) didn't do well in the Octagon, some have done quite well. Wanderlai, despite his age and the sheer number bare knuckle fights he has had over the years, has proven very durable and an exciting fighter. Rampage, despite flipping out after his loss to Forrest, has proven to be a top competitor. Herring's best days were behind him when he was signed, but he is a good gate keeper. Cro Cop was a disappointment, but signing him broke PRIDE and gave the UFC the ability to get all the other guys mentioned, minus the hiding Fedor. Obviously Anderson Silva hasn't disappointed and he was a PRIDE guy for awhile, though he was also King of the Cage. So, it's been hit and miss. Japan didn't test for steroids either - which may, or may not, have had an effect on some fighters....

Quote:
Lesnar, despite the hype, has yet to be truly tested. His tapout to Mir proved that he has alot to learn. But he was a wrestler with no concept of jiujitsu at the time. He's come a long way despite having to face that loss after all the hype that came with him.
I would agree, but his athleticism is a huge attribute. Mir said he hits like a truck and that punch he put on Herring was no joke. But, watch that punch on Herring and how FAST he recovers and charges ahead. That can't be coached, that is God given genetics.

As for fighting Randy - Randy is an enigma, and everytime he seems to be SUCH an under-dog, he comes out and destroys the guy. Gonzaga was supposed to take him right down and submit him in the first 2 minutes of the fight. That was supposed to be Randy's toughest ground test yet. *yawn* That fight was a Gonzaga beatdown.

Lesnar/Couture will be the most purchased PPV, only because of the names involved, not because of the talent of the overall skill match up between the two headliners.

Either way it's a good card, but watch the Maia/Quarry fight closely - that is going to be SICK!!!

Last edited by Dillinger; 11-14-2008 at 02:29 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

All valid points. Still, in all, for the people who follow this, Couture- Fedor is the fight that true fans, and Randy himself wanted.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #7

Agreed - But it's a pipe dream. Fedor's management ( M1 ) will NEVER let him fight in a cage, plus they want co-promotional money for any card Fedor fights on.

Dana has said he will PROBABLY NEVER do a co-promotion with another outfit but the UFC will ABSOLUTELY NEVER do a co-promotion with M1 because their list of demands is too high.

Rnady has one, maybe two, good years left, and his current contract will put him into that capsule.

Fedor isn't signed to anyone outright, except M1, but if he fights for anyone outside of Affliction, because of the $2M they paid for his "services" prior to the Big Timmah fight, Afflication gets the right to be included. It's totally crooked...

So, we fans are going to have to hope for a Fedor/Barnett fight to Fedor actually get challenged and see if he is the BEST there is out there.

Arlovski has a chance, but his ground work has looked lazy lately, and with Fedor, lazy gets your assed armbarred or choked in record time...

Still, for the $800K that they paid Timmah for that DEBACLE, I would fight Fedor and I damn sure would last longer than 36 F**KING seconds! That fight was an embarassment to every MMA fan on the planet....

Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #8

Default I'm Calling YOU OUT!

Okay, I don't ever do this - call out someone and ask them to put their money where there mouth is, but this is important enough, that I think it's worth it.

On Dec. 10th the UFC is putting on Fight for the Troops - which is going to be a free, televised fight card on Spike TV.

They are taking donations and ALL of the proceeds are going to be donated to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund to help support the men/women and families of our US Troops. They are a non-profit enterprise that only exists to help US Troops who have been harmed, or killed, while serving you, me and every other person on this board, or their families in their time of need.

The UFC has given us many great fights, some of which recently have been on FREE TV from England, or on Fight Night Live - and even if the cards haven't been as good as the PPV cards - this shouldn't matter.

IF you are a fan of MMA, IF you have watched some of the past free events, If you are a fan of the sport - you don't have a hair on your @ss if you DO NOT to donate to such a worthy cause.

If I have ever personally helped you with some firearm's info, I am asking you to put a small price on that, and donate some money to this very good cause.

There are plenty of organizations that also help the troops - and if you have donated out of respect for our great men & women overseas - God Bless You.

I know that times are tight, that money is in short supply, and I am not asking anyone to give anything that would put them in dire straights - but think of the sacrifices that our troops are going through.

I am here, calling out the MMA fans, for a cause that is worth your time to look at, worth your donation and will definitely be worth a night of "free" televised fights with a simple donation to "clear the conscience".

Fight for the Troops

Thank you for your time -

JD

Old 11-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't believe I missed this thread when you started it. I've been a fan of UFC since the beginning. I called every single fight, except Randy's. I was certain he'd win it (and he WAS)

Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Man I missed that BOOOOOO HOOOOOO OK dillinger you are now on report for not starting this thread sooner before the fight. I personaly thought lesner was going to be a joke and come in loose a few fights get some WWE fans watching MMA and then go back to WWE and fade away. But he has proven to be a real fighter. Not just some roid injected looser that could not transition from NCAA to anything other than WWE.