Official FTF BOB (nod to Tango)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Official FTF BOB (nod to Tango)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Official FTF BOB (nod to Tango)

Most of you are probably aware of the epic knife testing threads that J.D. and I are engaged in.

We are ramping up for what should prove to be the baddest-azz thread to date.

Tango posted, and mentioned that the superior knife should be included in the Official FTF BOB bag.

I don't hang out much in the survival section here, so I don't know if this actually exists, but if it doesn't, it should.

What I propose is that we rip a bag down to it's basic components, and then select the best made of each of those components.

I understand that everybody is gonna have a personal preference on some stuff. If that's the case, explain why. Your poncho may have features that mine does not, and you might win me over.

I'd also like opinions on design of an official FTF BOB embroidered patch, that could be affixed to the bag itself, so when it's zombie time, you can be readily identified and given access to the zombie free zone.

Let's see if it takes off.

Let's start with the bag itself. What is jammed full of goodies in your closet/vehicle, and why did you select that as the actual bag?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I like this idea. I was given a very nice and rather large back pack for Christmas last year and just the other day I was thinking it would make a perfect BOB. I have little to offer here but I'm interested to see what the official BOB will contain.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This can take forever, since everybody's BOB is going to be different and adapted to their needs. However, it certainly would be cool to get different opinions on what pieces of kit have worked well for different people.

You can see some good reviews on basic gear at EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information (Equipped to Survive), it's a great website run by Doug Ritter with a lot of information. He focuses on aviation and maritime survival, but there's something in there for everybody.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Last edited by Franciscomv; 01-19-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Yeah, what I'm shooting for is the top of the line for each item. I'll pay a little more for something if it gives me end-times security.

Similarly, if the best of a given item can be had cheaply, or if it hasn't been improved upon, I'll snap that up, too.

If the G.I. Alice pack is the gold standard, and the Redrock Ultra super backpack costs 4x as much but isn't half as good, I'm going with the Alice.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
This can take forever, since everybody's BOB is going to be different and adapted to their needs. However, it certainly would be cool to get different opinions on what pieces of kit have worked well for different people.

You can see some good reviews on basic gear at EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information (Equipped to Survive), it's a great website run by Doug Ritter with a lot of information. He focuses a lot on aviation and maritime survival, but there's something in there for everybody.
The goal here is exposure to a variety of items you didn't know that you couldn't live without.

The knife thing is a perfect example. Maybe 5 guys here had ever heard of the company that J.D. brought up. Once the thread rolls, a multitude will become aware. Some will decide they need it. Some will be comfortable with what they have.

More importantly, we may save some from spending hard earned money on a turkey. You might talk a new guy out of spending $600 on a display knife that he THINKS will be BOB useful, when in reality, it's a wallhanger, and he'd be better served with a MIL-TAC, or one of your insufferable Moras.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I nominate the Jansport Oddyssey for the bag. This thing is HUGHE 2350 CI of space. With room for a water bladder from just about any maker I can fit my 100oz Camelbak bladder in it with no problem. I have an older model and I lose stuff in it all the time it has so many nooks and crannies. It also has store away waist straps for long treks. it has 2 external pouches that allow for bottles of water to be stored there and it has places to affix items to the out side like a length or rope and carabiners. It has a stiff yet very comfortable enternal frame and mesh on the shoulder pads and back to allow cooling.

Mins has survived 4 years of college and 2 years going back and forth to work. At school I carried on a normal day a 15.4" HP laptop, 3 to 4 College textbooks and 2 to 3 1" binders along with cell phone, pens pincels, TI-83 calculator, USB and power cords for laptop and phone, GPS, 1911 and 3 mags, snacks, gloves, 2 screwdrivers. I still had room for more as well. This thing has went hunting and hiking geocaching and it still looks brand new not hardly a scuff on it. It can be had in OD Green, brown, gray, and black.

JanSport - Product Detail for ODYSSEY

Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

My actual bag is a standard Army rucksack, minus the frame. We used to ditch the frame if we were in the field and doing recon.

At the moment, it is lined with a large waterproof bag, but I need to upgrade that, it's not terribly flexible.

The important thing to note here is that I wanted the real deal, not a knock-off. Alot of the stuff you see in surplus stores is new, and not expensive, but the quality is lacking. Stitching goes, and your contents are everywhere. This goes with alot of what surplus stores carry. If it's used, it's probably the real deal. If you served, it's apparent to you. If you didn't, take a vet with you before you buy.

If you know someone active duty, and they can access the post Clothing Sales shop, that is your best bet.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Tango, how much? Didn't see a price on the site.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #9

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I found the JanSport Odessy back pack for $109.00 on the web site tied to Tango's post about this bag.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #10

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The all black one is going for $110 on sale at REI for $74.95 not a bad price for a excellent pack.

JanSport Odyssey Pack at REI.com