Officer down in the line of duty
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Officer down in the line of duty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Officer down in the line of duty

State mourns cop killed in drug raid

Officer down in the line of duty - The Club House

September 9, 2010 - 7:14PM

Bill Crews made the ultimate sacrifice when he was gunned down during a routine drug raid.

The 26-year-old trainee detective died in a Sydney hospital a short time after midnight - the 12th cop in four decades in NSW to be shot and killed in the line of duty.

"We have lost a brother, we've lost a son, we've lost a good mate, but most important we've lost a colleague," said his mate and Police Association president Scott Weber.

Visibly shaken and obviously distressed, Mr Weber said police across NSW were mourning.

"It is so upsetting when we see one of our colleagues make the ultimate sacrifice in protecting us all."

The 26-year-old was one of eight officers from the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad carrying out a routine drug operation at an apartment block at Bankstown in Sydney's southwest.

They were fired upon outside the targeted property on Cairds Avenue about 9pm (AEST) on Wednesday, with Const Crews hit in the head and neck.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione on Thursday paid tribute to his team, who had tried desperately to save him.

"(They) showed extraordinary bravery and composure under duress to render first aid ... while at the same time arresting several people and securing the crime scene and putting a perimeter in place," he said.

The neighbourhood was in lockdown during the three-hour siege that followed, with negotiators called in as officers wearing bulletproof vests patrolled the streets and told residents and onlookers to stay indoors.

They were supported by the air wing, dog unit and rescue unit.

Eight people were eventually taken into police custody, and two men were charged, although no drugs were found at the property.

The men were refused bail in Bankstown Local Court after one of them, Philip Nguyen, received treatment for a swollen left eye, a grazed nose and a swollen cheek bone.

The 55-year-old is facing six charges including shooting with intent to murder and discharge of a firearm with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Geehad Ghazi, 27, has been charged with possession of an unauthorised firearm.

Meanwhile, NSW parliament paused to honour the slain officer, with Premier Kristina Keneally paying tribute to the young man who gave his life while serving the community.

She recognised the suffering of his father Kelvin, who retired from the police force in 2000, his brother Ben, an officer in Sydney, his two sisters, Rebecca and Kate, and mother Sharon.

"They've lost him in the most unimaginable way, and we today as a state stand behind them in support," Ms Keneally said.

The officer's death has prompted renewed calls for the introduction of mandatory life sentences for offenders who murder police officers.

"Police go out each day, they tackle risks each day that are inherent in their job, and we owe them, we owe their families, the knowledge that the police officer if they are killed on duty, if they're murdered, there should be mandatory life sentences applied to the criminals who do it," Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell said.

The last officer killed on duty was Constable Glenn McEnally, shot dead at Hillsdale, in Sydney's southeast, in April 2002.

State mourns cop killed in drug raid

Law enforcement risk their lives daily on our behalf, but this tragic death seems to have been particularly affecting. I stopped in at a local station today to give my condolences - don't know how often police are thanked for facing the lowlife scumbags they do, but I felt it needed saying in person.

Can only hope the NSW Police Force motto holds true:

Officer down in the line of duty - The Club House

Culpam Poena Premit Comes - Punishment Follows Close On Guilt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This poor guy was from my home town.. I drove back this afternoon from uni and was wondering why the cop station's flag was at half mast.. I just saw the news and now I know.
He was a good cop and a good bloke. I really hope these @rseholes get what's coming to them because they deserve the death penalty.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
This poor guy was from my home town.. I drove back this afternoon from uni and was wondering why the cop station's flag was at half mast.. I just saw the news and now I know.
He was a good cop and a good bloke. I really hope these @rseholes get what's coming to them because they deserve the death penalty.

Sh1t, really Aus? can only imagine how that would affect a country town

And the do-gooders have the gall to start complaining again now about 'racial profiling' as regards the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad. Real sensitive timing, huh.

Pity we can't take em to the top of Darlinghurst Road next to the old gaol and flog em like what used to happen in colonial days...and then hanged from a convenient yardarm.

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
Sh1t, really Aus? can only imagine how that would affect a country town

And the do-gooders have the gall to start complaining again now about 'racial profiling' as regards the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad. Real sensitive timing, huh.

Pity we can't take em to the top of Darlinghurst Road next to the old gaol and flog em like what used to happen in colonial days...and then hanged from a convenient yardarm.
Yeah it's going to be pretty tough, he was headed home this weekend to be best man at a wedding too. I'm certainly all for Darlinghurst Road by the way...

Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

More fuel for the anti gunners... like you guys don't already have it bad enough.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm saddened to hear this. May he rest in peace and may his family and friends be comforted.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

How can something like that happen with some of the most restictive gun control legislation in the world? The bad guys are not supposed to be able to get guns, right?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'm sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends.

Not to detract from the topic, but it does seem odd, given the relative restrictions on firearms in Australia, that this happened. Looking at if from the legislators' perspectives, this shouldn't have been able to happen. I anticipate more laws.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
More fuel for the anti gunners... like you guys don't already have it bad enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
How can something like that happen with some of the most restictive gun control legislation in the world? The bad guys are not supposed to be able to get guns, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I'm sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends.

Not to detract from the topic, but it does seem odd, given the relative restrictions on firearms in Australia, that this happened. Looking at if from the legislators' perspectives, this shouldn't have been able to happen. I anticipate more laws.

You're all right. Heared the inevitable "this proves the laws must be strengthened!" rubbish already. Despite all the obvious logical stupidities which go along with that...one of the accused was arrested in possession of a CZ54, not exactly the usual sporting handgun. But as the Greens say, we all know the majority of guns used in crime come from legal owners, don't we?

Quote:
A 27-year-old Chester Hill man, Geehad Ghazi, appeared at Bankstown Local Court this morning in connection to the murder.

Mr Ghazi is facing two charges of possessing an unauthorised firearm.

According to court documents, he was allegedly "in possession of a small silver barrelled gun with a brown wooden handle, believed to be a CZ52 model, without a permit or licence".
Philip took drugs before allegedly killing Constable Bill Crews, court documents show | The Australian

Quote:

Last edited by zhuk; 09-10-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Zhuk,

My thoughts and prayers go out to the officer's family. I am also changing my avatar for them for the rest of the week.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....