Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Numerous Injuries Reported In West Fertilizer Plant Explosion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1750 Times on 997 Posts
Likes Given: 3530

Default Numerous Injuries Reported In West Fertilizer Plant Explosion

Holy Crap!

Reports of 2 major explosions!

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Explosion-Injuries-Reported-At-West-Fertilizer-Plant-203505331.html

WACO (April 17, 2013)—Emergency crews from throughout Central Texas responded Wednesday night after a major explosion at a burning fertilizer plant in West north of Waco.

West firefighters were dispatched to the plant earlier in the evening after an earlier fire rekindled.

The explosion was reported at around 7:50 p.m. in a frantic radio call from the scene of the fire at West Fertilizer at 1471 Jerry Mashek Dr. just off Interstate 35.

Numerous injuries were reported and multiple ambulances were requested.

Several buildings were reported destroyed and a nearby nursing home was damaged.

There were reports that people were trapped in the nursing home and in an apartment building.

Scanner traffic indicated that some residents of both the nursing home and apartment building were severely injured.

Department of Public Safety troopers transported some victims to hospitals in patrol cars, said Gayle Scarbrough at the DPS Communications Center in Waco.

A triage area was established at the intersection of Haven and North Reagan Streets, but it was later moved to Marable and Meadow Streets.

Six helicopters were en route to West and were landing at the baseball field on Tokio Road, south of town, said Gayle Scarbrough, Department of Public Safety Communications in Waco.

A number of buildings were reported to be burning, some in residential areas and evacuations were underway.

West Middle School was one of the buildings reported to be on fire.

Injured victims were being taken to area hospitals.

An officer was dispatched to provide crowd control at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center in Waco, which issued a call to all staffers to report.

The explosion knocked out power to a large area of the community.

Oncor’s online outage site showed more than a thousand customers without power.

Oncor Outage Website

Interstate 35 remained open, but a number of emergency vehicles were on the highway headed to West and from West to hospitals.

A woman who was passing through West on Interstate 35 at the time of the explosion said she and her boyfriend saw a fireball 100-feet wide shoot into the air.

A man who lives 15 miles northwest of Hillsboro felt the concussion from the explosion.

Army Sgt. Rocky J. Havens said in an e-mail he felt the shock in Italy, north of Hillsboro.

Tonya Harris of Groesbeck said in an e-mail she heard the explosion.

“My husband and l were cleaning up the kitchen after supper, and heard what we thought was someone running into our house. It shook our windows and doors. We immediately ran outside looking for the worst,” she said.

Crystal Dahlman of Blum said in an e-mail, “the explosion shook and rumbled my house worse than thunder.”

Brad Smith of Waxahachie said he and his wife heard what sounded like a thunderclap.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Thoughts and prayers going out for the injured.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Prayers and thoughts for all those at and around the plant.

This is very bad.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Explosion-Rocks-Fertilizer-Plant-During-Fire-203508011.html

Another forum, a member is reporting via scanner conversations that the water pressure is low and trucks running out. Main part of downtown is not passable. The other containment tank at the plant has caught fire.

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/2677

Here is a video from the air.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 04-18-2013 at 03:38 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Axxe, this thread....

Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #5

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Dust control is always a danger in these plants. Dust and static electricity generated by high velocity particulate moving though rubber conveyances. This adds up to explosions in plants and grain mills.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Video of fire and then explosion.

https://plus.google.com/110478581618585696244/posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpKx3aIjA&feature=player_embedded

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/04/17/fertilizer-plant-explosion-reported-north-of-waco/

A fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, north of Waco, killed as many as 60 or 70 people and injured hundreds according to KWTX, which spoke with West EMS Director Dr. George Smith.

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 04-18-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19859 Times on 11278 Posts
Likes Given: 50043

this happened about 110 miles west of us here in East Texas. looks really bad.

West is just north of Waco off I-35.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

EMS director in West is reporting 60-70 dead. I pray to God he's wrong. Said at least 5 Firefighters and 1 Police officer dead.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Last edited by DFlynt; 04-18-2013 at 04:31 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
this happened about 110 miles west of us here in East Texas. looks really bad.

West is just north of Waco off I-35.
I just added another link for the video and from CBS has information and pic of apartment complex - Holy Crap!

Old 04-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sitting here listening to the Broadcastify link you provided Bigcountry, Union Pacific called the call center telling them they had spotted a tank car with 200,000 pounds of anhydrous ammonia there this morning and the National Guard called asking if they needed help.