NRA, what's in it for me?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

NRA, what's in it for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NRA, what's in it for me?

Why should I join the NRA. I hear that it makes it easier to buy guns if you are a member. I also have a part 2 question. I hear background checks take a while. I just had one in March-ish when I applied to work for a University program, and I passed. So how long should I expect it to take, on average. I want to get my Springfield as soon as I turn 21. I live in Wyoming if that makes a difference.

I am talking about my handgun, if that would make a background check take longer.

Last edited by Kage0113; 07-29-2009 at 11:40 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #2

I'm not part of the NRA and I own 3 guns, bought 2 of them myself. If you're talking about handguns, I'm not sure.

When I got both my background checks, it took maybe..15 mins? The other half hour I waited, I filled out the paperwork and watched them box up my gun.

S.S.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Wyoming is a good thing, trust me there. As far as why you should join the NRA, there is a litany of reasons, but none so important as contributing to the voice of the American Gun Owner and the protection of our 2nd Amendment. It boils down to maintaining a strong lobby - making sure our elected representatives hear our concerns and make legislative decisions based on our rights. And, lobbyists cost money - a lot. Freedom isn't free, and this is a prime example. The NRA has to compete with all the left-wing, wacko, anti-gun special interest groups who have PLENTY of money. It takes fire to fight fire, so every little bit helps. Even that measley 35 bucks it takes to join.

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-29-2009, 11:03 PM   #4

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES 6 View Post
Wyoming is a good thing, trust me there. As far as why you should join the NRA, there is a litany of reasons, but none so important as contributing to the voice of the American Gun Owner and the protection of our 2nd Amendment. It boils down to maintaining a strong lobby - making sure our elected representatives hear our concerns and make legislative decisions based on our rights. And, lobbyists cost money - a lot. Freedom isn't free, and this is a prime example. The NRA has to compete with all the left-wing, wacko, anti-gun special interest groups who have PLENTY of money. It takes fire to fight fire, so every little bit helps. Even that measley 35 bucks it takes to join.
Very well said, Aces. Very well said, indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

+10 on that aces.. If that membership helps in anyway protect my 2nd amendment rights than its money well spent. Not to mention the strength of numbers every member counts

Old 07-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The NRA is an excellent organization and has carried the flag for many years. They are still the 800 pound gorilla of gun rights. However, they have often compromised when they should have stood fast and they have been downright weak in some cases.

That's why I belong to both the NRA and the Gun Owners of America. The GOA is much more vocal and less compromising then the NRA has been. However, they do not yet have the clout of the NRA. So, I support them both.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 AM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The NRA is an excellent organization and has carried the flag for many years. They are still the 800 pound gorilla of gun rights. However, they have often compromised when they should have stood fast and they have been downright weak in some cases.

That's why I belong to both the NRA and the Gun Owners of America. The GOA is much more vocal and less compromising then the NRA has been. However, they do not yet have the clout of the NRA. So, I support them both.
Great point! The exact same thing here, even to the level of my State Rifle Assoc.

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

Old 07-30-2009, 01:54 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Being a NRA member has absolutely NO effect on your back ground check!

It does, however support your right to own a gun.

As does the GOA!

A background check should take a few minutes, but if you have a similar name/social security # as someone who is flagged (like my wife does) it can take a couple of weeks That's originally why she got a CCW permit. All she has to do now is flash it, and she walks out with the gun.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 07-30-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
If that membership helps in anyway protect my 2nd amendment rights than its money well spent.
Is not a expense... is an investment...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #10

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage0113 View Post
Why should I join the NRA.
Have you ever been to a gun show on opening day and had to wait more than an hour in line? We have that problem at a big gun show in VA. If you join the NRA that day you get to skip the line and go right into the show because the NRA gives you your ticket. Also you get your membership at a discounted price.

The NRA does support your gun rights in the legislature so the larger their membership the more people they can say they are speaking for.

Newest Threads