NRA requirements at local range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > NRA requirements at local range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 16 Posts

Default NRA requirements at local range

Found new local range right next to my sons baseball training center. Convenient right? Wanted to do a class there, but after further investigation, I have to have NRA basic pistol, NRA certificate XYZ, give NRA my 1st born child etc... What is up with all that? I have had a private pistol class that covered safety and all of that and included the firing of about 10 different handguns. Why is it so hard for me to get more education that doesn't include a bunch of BS Pre requisites?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #2

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Maybe its about their insurance?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

The Shooters Association (Range) that I belong to is an NRA affiliated range- we have NRA sanctioned matches, and our insurance is thru the NRA- thus membership in the NRA is required in orderder to join or renew membership. If you ask, you may find something similar.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #4

I am an NRA member. Just didn't like the fact that I had to do all these other classes in order to take what I really wanted. Since I already have paid for private instruction. Oh well, guess I will just have to suck it up and fork over the $$$

Old 01-02-2013, 04:24 AM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The reason shooting ranges are hard to find is they are being closed down. In order to stay ahead of antigun laws and to get insurance we must police our own ranks.
The NRA training also helps find problem gun owners before they become a problem. The Safety Inst. can refuse to allow these people to become members.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelRockRebel View Post
I am an NRA member. Just didn't like the fact that I had to do all these other classes in order to take what I really wanted. Since I already have paid for private instruction. Oh well, guess I will just have to suck it up and fork over the $$$
Are the required classes listed as prerequisites to the class you want to take before the NRA will issue you a certificate. Not uncommon, you typically cannot go directly to an advanced class in anything without meeting the basic requirements. If you feel that the classes you have taken meet the requirements then speak to the RSO or the NRA Certified Instructor to see if he will grant a waiver for the classes taken.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

New Range members who start out asking for special treatment will only burden themselves. Be a supporting member follow the rules. The Trng. will allow them to know you, and you will make new life long friends.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #8

Excellent advice nitestalker. I will indeed follow it. Do not want to be a pain at the first get go. The training will only add to my experience.