Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   NRA requirements at local range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/nra-requirements-local-range-80067/)

BelRockRebel 01-02-2013 04:56 AM

NRA requirements at local range

Found new local range right next to my sons baseball training center. Convenient right? Wanted to do a class there, but after further investigation, I have to have NRA basic pistol, NRA certificate XYZ, give NRA my 1st born child etc... What is up with all that? I have had a private pistol class that covered safety and all of that and included the firing of about 10 different handguns. Why is it so hard for me to get more education that doesn't include a bunch of BS Pre requisites?

JSStryker 01-02-2013 05:06 AM

Maybe its about their insurance?

c3shooter 01-02-2013 05:08 AM

The Shooters Association (Range) that I belong to is an NRA affiliated range- we have NRA sanctioned matches, and our insurance is thru the NRA- thus membership in the NRA is required in orderder to join or renew membership. If you ask, you may find something similar.

BelRockRebel 01-02-2013 05:17 AM

I am an NRA member. Just didn't like the fact that I had to do all these other classes in order to take what I really wanted. Since I already have paid for private instruction. Oh well, guess I will just have to suck it up and fork over the $$$

nitestalker 01-02-2013 05:24 AM

The reason shooting ranges are hard to find is they are being closed down. In order to stay ahead of antigun laws and to get insurance we must police our own ranks.
The NRA training also helps find problem gun owners before they become a problem. The Safety Inst. can refuse to allow these people to become members.

Jpyle 01-02-2013 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BelRockRebel (Post 1075876)
I am an NRA member. Just didn't like the fact that I had to do all these other classes in order to take what I really wanted. Since I already have paid for private instruction. Oh well, guess I will just have to suck it up and fork over the $$$

Are the required classes listed as prerequisites to the class you want to take before the NRA will issue you a certificate. Not uncommon, you typically cannot go directly to an advanced class in anything without meeting the basic requirements. If you feel that the classes you have taken meet the requirements then speak to the RSO or the NRA Certified Instructor to see if he will grant a waiver for the classes taken.

nitestalker 01-03-2013 03:02 AM

New Range members who start out asking for special treatment will only burden themselves. Be a supporting member follow the rules. The Trng. will allow them to know you, and you will make new life long friends.:)

BelRockRebel 01-03-2013 03:13 AM

Excellent advice nitestalker. I will indeed follow it. Do not want to be a pain at the first get go. The training will only add to my experience.