Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > NRA questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You will get mail from them several times per week. 75% of their mail wants you to donate money to ILA. 25% wants you to renew your membership (even if you already bought a multi-year membership. This mail bombardment really lowers their credibility in my mind.

The biggest benefit of the membership is the magazine. American Hunter is a good read as long as you skip the drivel of the editor.. He's a bit flippant for the magazine of a membership organization. The Armed Citizen articles are interesting. The main comment would be that there's other game than Whitetails.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #12

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoppingpower View Post
Should I join and what do I get out of it? I know it supports our second but do they do anything else?

Wyoming is what America was
Should you join? If you want to help promote the 2nd amendment, yes.
If you want to promote the shooting sports, yes.
If you want to read a pretty good magazine, yes (I get The American Rifleman).
If you want to be able to contribute to a national pro-gun lobby, yes.
If you want free liability insurance when enjoying the shooting sports, yes.
If you want free insurance on your firearms, yes.

If you want to split hairs about some of the other issues that aren't that savory, and ignore the above benefits, then don't join the NRA.

Gun Owners of America is a like organization. Many people belong to both.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1032 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

My only issue with the NRA is in one of the things that the ILA is fighting. "NO gun owner should be held responsible for a crime if his/her gun is stolen." Needless to say I do not fully agree with this. If the weapon was properly stored, then yes. Just laying out in the open, the owner is liable IMO.

Other than that, they seem to be a worthwhile organization, with our 2A rights as thier primary focus. BTW, I prefer American Rifleman. Just my $.02.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #14

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Please post the permanet NRA endorsement of Harry Ried? I have never seen it or heard it except thru AntiNRA channels. Please Post. The NRA did not attack Ried as he has a strong Progun voting record. Ried also pushed thru the Federal Funds to build the the largest shooting complex in North America at Las Vegas, Nev. Obama had moved to stop these funds. The shooting and hunting citizens of Nevada support him. Many voters wanted the NRA to attack Reid over abortion issues etc. The NRA is a single issue organisation we only judge you by your stand on gun rights period. There are other groups you can join to fight for life, gay rights, rent control or what ever. The NRA is the only Org. that provides Certified Insts., National and world shooting events, college scholarships for shooting sports, Legal defense of members. They are the only one to provide range protection insurance. They provide firearms theft loss with your membership, motel car rental discounts personal health and death benefits if you need them. They are the strongest progun lobby in the world. NRA Reps. are located in every state in the Union to assist its members in defense of gun rights. And yes all this takes money. No the NRA does not beg for funds. They ask a dedicated membership of over 4 million to help fund all these progun movements. For those gun owners who will not help keep your money we will pay your way. NRA Certifed Inst. Patron Member.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #15

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
My only issue with the NRA is in one of the things that the ILA is fighting. "NO gun owner should be held responsible for a crime if his/her gun is stolen." Needless to say I do not fully agree with this. If the weapon was properly stored, then yes. Just laying out in the open, the owner is liable IMO.

Other than that, they seem to be a worthwhile organization, with our 2A rights as thier primary focus. BTW, I prefer American Rifleman. Just my $.02.
So fox: Do you park your car "out in the open"?

Old 01-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
NRA is a formidable lobby that protects gun rights, correct.

They have always done an excellent job.
The NRA's original charter is to help marksmen, not to defend 2A rights. The NRA has capitulated countless times on 2A issues on the side of the gun-grabbers. GOA, SCOPE or JPFO are more centered on 2A protection, and the NRA is a more generic gun-friendly group that may lobby in the right direction every now and then.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:44 AM   #17

BKT will you please post the times and issues where we NRA members supported antigun issues. You fellows like to attack 4 million NRA members as if we are Kool Aid drinkers and never question the management. Please post. You will notice the AntiNRA post stating that we endorsed Harry Reid, really. The very antigun antiNRA New York Times Posted this during the Health Care Debate in Congress. Obama in his Health Care Bill put in an amendement that stated gun owners were a high risk for hurting themselves and others. This would require everyone to declare if they owned firearms and report them to the government in order to get Obama health care. Harry Ried Speaker of the house opposed this bill and voted against this antigun sneek by his own president. The NRA backed and supported Harry Ried and this was removed from the Health Care Bill, thank God. The Left wing "New York Times" followed with "Puff Piece" NRA ENDORSES Harry Rieds Vote. The Left Wing Teachers Union, Big Labor and all their Anti NRA friends spread this all over the web. The AntiNRA spammers "I won't support the NRA they voted for Harry Ried". Thankfully real NRA members did not fall for this "Big Left Wing" lie. Oh, yes the AntiNRA spammers are still out there. We know who some of them are.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #18

This is an article carried by the American Press regarding the NRA edorsement lies. Even the Left Wing NEW YORK TIMES is more honest about this issue than some supposed Pro Gun media.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/13/us/politics/13nra.html?_r=1

Old 01-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #19

Liked 4451 Times on 2349 Posts
Likes Given: 255

my logger jam when considering whether or not i should join the nra or not is the nra has no problem backing politicians that will sell out the american people on freedom of speech private property or right to life liberty and happiness.

specifically in wisconsin they supported a democratic effort to ban the right of free speech for people spending more than 25$ so long as the right of the nra to publish adds was not infringed. fortunately that nra backed effort failed.

they claim to be a single issue organization but support liberal ideals on the sly at times. which is why i have issue with them. they were willing to support the squelching of speech here in wisconsin so long as it did not interefere with theirs.

supporting candidates who have an approved stance on one issue is whats gotten us to the edge of the cliff upon which we as a nation stand today. there are more issues than just gun rights. so what if you can own a gun if the government takes away all your other rights.

the nra backed the wisconsin senators who abdicated their duties in wisconsin and fled the state to avoid the vote to fix our budget issues. during the recall elections here the nra backed a northern wisconsin democrat senator over the stronger pro-gun republican running against him.

kim simac ran against holperin. simac is a much much stronger supporter of gun rights than holperin yet they supported him.

so im torn. while i strongly support the 2a, unlike the nra i ALSO support the rest of the constitution just as fervently and abhor any group that is willing to sacrifice other people's rights to protect their own.

maybe im wrong but i refuse to throw the baby out with the bathwater just to save one issue.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-25-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #20

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Should you join? If you want to help promote the 2nd amendment, yes.
If you want to promote the shooting sports, yes.
If you want to read a pretty good magazine, yes (I get The American Rifleman).
If you want to be able to contribute to a national pro-gun lobby, yes.
If you want free liability insurance when enjoying the shooting sports, yes.
If you want free insurance on your firearms, yes.

If you want to split hairs about some of the other issues that aren't that savory, and ignore the above benefits, then don't join the NRA.

Gun Owners of America is a like organization. Many people belong to both.
Not only to promote shooting sports but to participate. Many sponsoring clubs and the IDPA as well, I believe, require NRA menbership before joing their organizations.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington