Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Nra & goa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Nra & goa

i am currently a NRA member. been one for awhile. but i am kinda getting sick of there constant request to get money from me. i know they need funds to fight there cause,but they send me letters sometimes twice a week and call every other day to a number i never gave them. my question is, does the GOA beg for money like the NRA does. i been wanting to join them,but i dont want to be asked for money on a daily basis.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I stopped my NRA membership for the exact same reason, but it was compounded that I didn't think they were doing enough at the time ( Klinton and AWB I ) for gun owners. I got fed up and jumped ship.

I belong to GOA. They need money too, but they aren't as Shark in the Bloody Water about it, if you know what I mean.

JD

Old 06-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #3

Just got another request for money yesterday and was thinking the same things. They were using the castle doctrine fight angle here in MN but did not give any specifics on how or what they were going to do right now to accomplish this. I think I am done with them.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I belong to both. I send money to both when I can, not when they ask. (which seems to be weekly)
I also fill out the postcards they send for the legislators, although it's pointless in Kalifornia.

We need them both.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 AM   #5

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interesting. I'm a member of the NRA and I don't get any "begging" letters. I do get the insurance and other offers but those go into the shredder.

Here in Nevada, the NRA didn't even get the chance to support the castle doctrine that was proposed because the Judiciary committee didn't even let it "out the door." It died before even going to the House for discussion. Pissed a lot of Nevadans off but it will probably come up again in the next legislative session in 2011 (Nevada legislature only meets every 2 years). Even though there usually aren't any charges if you shoot some break-in schmuck, there's still the possibility of the "survivors" filing a civil lawsuit against you.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 PM   #6

How long have you been a member? During my first six months i rarely got any mail other then my magazine's. But the past 3 months i been getting almost weekly requests for money. I dont mind giving money when i can,but seems like there always calling or sending letters asking for money. And it dont seem like they bite is bigger then there bite. When i questioned there rep on the phone as to why they dont take a more active role in recruiting more members or doing more public defense of the 2A rights, they could not give me a direct answer. The GOA seems to take a more active approach in defending are rights. I know we need both,but for the NRA to get more money from me,they need to be more aggressive in there public campains

Old 06-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #7

NRA member, I give extra ONE time a year, I know they need money and if ALL gun owners would be members this would not be an issue, of all the people i know that own guns i can only think of three that are members.
They complain about their Gun rights but won't help out.

"In God We Trust"