NOW, DD-214's available online
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > NOW, DD-214's available online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default NOW, DD-214's available online

DD-214's available online
The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has provided the following website for veterans to gain access to their DD-214's online:

eVetRecs: Request Copies of Veterans Military Personnel Records

This may be particularly helpful when a veteran needs a copy of his DD-214 for employment purposes. NPRC is working to make it easier for veterans with computers and Internet access to obtain copies of documents from their military files.

Military veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members may now use a new online military personnel records system to request documents.

Other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online website. Because the requester will be asked to supply all information essential for NPRC to process the request, delays that normally occur when NPRC has to ask veterans for additional information will be minimized.

The new web-based application was designed to provide better service on these requests by eliminating the records centers mailroom and processing time.
In true Gubmint style, this "new" eVetRecs service still requires you to print out a signature card and mail it into NPRC!

This makes the old canester ask what's the purpose of the last sentence of the above notice???

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2877 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Some contractors on military installations were required to complete a SF85, basically a background check. The form deals with public trust. The only problem is that prisoners at a "Club Fed" (who are taking over many contractor's jobs) do not have to complete the form. This has created a lot of questions and not enough answers.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #3
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

More pain to add to the pain, and I thought getting a medical appointment is bad as a retiree. The appointment desk, all appointments are full, the nurse will call you regarding your issue in 72 hours (might call)!

You are retired = second class citizen!

Old 05-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #4

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I'm guessing there is some law that requires an actual signature to release PII like a DD-214.

I don't see this as being a benefit to the veteran but more as a benefit to the service center. They no longer have to type in all that information when a request is made. The veteran does that and then they just have to verify the signature looks like a signature and they can send the DD-214.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I'm guessing there is some law that requires an actual signature to release PII like a DD-214.

I don't see this as being a benefit to the veteran but more as a benefit to the service center. They no longer have to type in all that information when a request is made. The veteran does that and then they just have to verify the signature looks like a signature and they can send the DD-214.
This is going to raise an issue, even now for members separating and/or retiring from the Air Force. The DD Form 214's are done at AFPC in San Antonio, the following will be in Block 21. Signature Of Member Being Separated MEMBER NOT AVAILABLE TO SIGN. Since the majority of members have to coordinate the DD Form 214 either on terminal leave or permissive tdy.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #6

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcountry02 View Post
This is going to raise an issue, even now for members separating and/or retiring from the Air Force. The DD Form 214's are done at AFPC in San Antonio, the following will be in Block 21. Signature Of Member Being Separated MEMBER NOT AVAILABLE TO SIGN. Since the majority of members have to coordinate the DD Form 214 either on terminal leave or permissive tdy.
They might not even have to verify the signature's look alike, it might just be a law that they have to sign something to release the DD214. College transcripts used to be like that. The laws just are not updated for today's technology and this creates a burden that the service center can not legally overcome.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's such an important document that I scanned mine into a PDF file and have digital copies stored on multiple computers...

Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
It's such an important document that I scanned mine into a PDF file and have digital copies stored on multiple computers...
That's a great idea. I haven't had to use mine since I got my current job but it beats the hell out of having to drag that old, wrinkled document out of my safe every time someone in the security office feels they "need" a copy. TS clearance....just another bunch of paperwork to fill out every 5 years.