Not sure what I should have done here?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Not sure what I should have done here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Not sure what I should have done here?

Heres is a question for all the LEOs on here:

Tonight I was at the local football game and saw a young man getting arrested. Now the arresting officer was alone and havering trouble holding this guy until a "security guard" shows up and helps hold the suspect. Now as this is happening the suspects buddy runs up and tries to get the officer to let him go and starts jumping around and pushed the officer and grabbed at the suspect to pull him away. Several people, including myself, watched as this continued for maybe 2 or 3 minutes when the second individual again tried to pull his buddy from the officer. I began to move closer to the second individual when finally a second officer arrived and tackled the second individual.
I guess my question is had I, or someone else, restrained the second individual would that have made the situation better or worse for the officers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #2

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Been there, bud. Do not hesitate. Drop kick the sob. Come up behind him without warning and lay him out. That kind of situation can go south in a hurry. I believe in community policing. We're in this thing together and a cop should never feel like he's working behind enemy lines.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 11-02-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 898 Times on 434 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I would stay out of it unless the officer was actually attacked. Only then would I come to the aid of the officer. (which I did in New Orleans)

I was in the Navy home on leave for Mardi Gras, I was with a group at the Bourbon Orleans On Bourbon st. I was on the balcony and watched a policeman try to break up a fight. One of be buddies blind sided the policeman up side the head and the policeman went down on his hands and knees. I watch the guy that did the hitting, run throught the crowd up on the sidewalk under the balcony and leaned up against the wall like a by stander. I ran downstairs to the door to the side walk, I walked out and the guy was still standing there, I knew he would run if pointed out, so I started walking down the sidewalk and when I got in front of him, I hauled off and hit him in the nose with all I had. I could hear his head bounce off the brick wall and down he went, he was out. I dragged him to the middle of the street and motioned for the policeman that had been hit. There were several police by this time. He and two other policemen came over and I told him I was making a citizens arrest, for this is the guy that hit you. We had 4 witnesses. The policeman shook my hand and thanked me. I gave a statement but was never contacted.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by Dearhunter; 11-02-2013 at 04:33 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-02-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Help is almost always appreciated when you are outnumbered and dealing with a crazy. Just make sure your intentions are obvious and listen to the officer. If he doesn't feel like he needs help he'll let you know. I've always been grateful for help when I've needed it. Most guys are.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-02-2013 at 04:35 AM.
improvised_prepper Likes This 
Old 11-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #5

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
I would stay out of it unless the officer was actually attacked.
That might be too late. Things happen fast if a fight breaks out. It's not about being a hero; it's just about doing the right thing.....sometimes there's no Door #2.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #6

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

I would be inclined to stay out of it unless the officer is getting attacked. How does the backup officer know you're not one of the aggressors when he/she comes speeding up and worried about their buddy? I'd be the first to help if worst came to worst but that situation didn't seem to warrant intervention from an average joe like me.

Edit: I must have missed your post Delta. If you approach it the way you suggested, just asking the officer if he needs help, that is the way to go.

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Last edited by improvised_prepper; 11-02-2013 at 04:51 AM.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2264 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Both times I was in this situation the guys who helped me out came up and started loudly telling the other person to "stop resisting." They didn't ask. They just made it obvious that they were on my side.

"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"

People Like This 
Old 11-02-2013, 07:24 AM   #8

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im all for helping an LEO in a situation like that, now what happens when the person helping the officer has a consealed firearm. And while helping your shirt uncovers your firearm. Backup arrives and they see a guy wrestling on the ground with an officer and one to two other people and you have a holstered firearm? What is the first thing that the backup officer is going to do?

This is a question for our LEO's on the forum.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

[QUOTE=DeltaF;1420486[I]]Both times I was in this situation the guys who helped me out came up and started loudly telling the other person to "stop resisting." They didn't ask. They just made it obvious that they were on my side[/I].[/QUOTE]

From talking to my cop buddies this seems to be the best way to deal with that situation as a civilian. You have to make it clear i no uncertain terms and still the cop might not take it the right way. But it is a high emotion situation. So the civilian will want to get beyond the tunnel vision people tend to get in high stress situations.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #10

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
Both times I was in this situation the guys who helped me out came up and started loudly telling the other person to "stop resisting." They didn't ask. They just made it obvious that they were on my side.
In your situation(s) could you pretty plainly see that you needed assistance or was it like the situation the OP stated? If you were the officer would you want someone to ask or just hop in?

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!