Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Not sure what I should have done here? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/not-sure-what-i-should-have-done-here-99827/)

t_humm 11-02-2013 05:06 AM

Not sure what I should have done here?

Heres is a question for all the LEOs on here:

Tonight I was at the local football game and saw a young man getting arrested. Now the arresting officer was alone and havering trouble holding this guy until a "security guard" shows up and helps hold the suspect. Now as this is happening the suspects buddy runs up and tries to get the officer to let him go and starts jumping around and pushed the officer and grabbed at the suspect to pull him away. Several people, including myself, watched as this continued for maybe 2 or 3 minutes when the second individual again tried to pull his buddy from the officer. I began to move closer to the second individual when finally a second officer arrived and tackled the second individual.
I guess my question is had I, or someone else, restrained the second individual would that have made the situation better or worse for the officers?

Rocky7 11-02-2013 05:09 AM

Been there, bud. Do not hesitate. Drop kick the sob. Come up behind him without warning and lay him out. That kind of situation can go south in a hurry. I believe in community policing. We're in this thing together and a cop should never feel like he's working behind enemy lines.

Dearhunter 11-02-2013 05:17 AM

I would stay out of it unless the officer was actually attacked. Only then would I come to the aid of the officer. (which I did in New Orleans)

I was in the Navy home on leave for Mardi Gras, I was with a group at the Bourbon Orleans On Bourbon st. I was on the balcony and watched a policeman try to break up a fight. One of be buddies blind sided the policeman up side the head and the policeman went down on his hands and knees. I watch the guy that did the hitting, run throught the crowd up on the sidewalk under the balcony and leaned up against the wall like a by stander. I ran downstairs to the door to the side walk, I walked out and the guy was still standing there, I knew he would run if pointed out, so I started walking down the sidewalk and when I got in front of him, I hauled off and hit him in the nose with all I had. I could hear his head bounce off the brick wall and down he went, he was out. I dragged him to the middle of the street and motioned for the policeman that had been hit. There were several police by this time. He and two other policemen came over and I told him I was making a citizens arrest, for this is the guy that hit you. We had 4 witnesses. The policeman shook my hand and thanked me. I gave a statement but was never contacted.

DeltaF 11-02-2013 05:19 AM

Help is almost always appreciated when you are outnumbered and dealing with a crazy. Just make sure your intentions are obvious and listen to the officer. If he doesn't feel like he needs help he'll let you know. I've always been grateful for help when I've needed it. Most guys are.

Rocky7 11-02-2013 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dearhunter (Post 1420454)
I would stay out of it unless the officer was actually attacked.

That might be too late. Things happen fast if a fight breaks out. It's not about being a hero; it's just about doing the right thing.....sometimes there's no Door #2.

improvised_prepper 11-02-2013 05:43 AM

I would be inclined to stay out of it unless the officer is getting attacked. How does the backup officer know you're not one of the aggressors when he/she comes speeding up and worried about their buddy? I'd be the first to help if worst came to worst but that situation didn't seem to warrant intervention from an average joe like me.

Edit: I must have missed your post Delta. If you approach it the way you suggested, just asking the officer if he needs help, that is the way to go.

DeltaF 11-02-2013 06:44 AM

Both times I was in this situation the guys who helped me out came up and started loudly telling the other person to "stop resisting." They didn't ask. They just made it obvious that they were on my side.

fupuk 11-02-2013 08:24 AM

Im all for helping an LEO in a situation like that, now what happens when the person helping the officer has a consealed firearm. And while helping your shirt uncovers your firearm. Backup arrives and they see a guy wrestling on the ground with an officer and one to two other people and you have a holstered firearm? What is the first thing that the backup officer is going to do?

This is a question for our LEO's on the forum.

DrumJunkie 11-02-2013 08:39 AM

[QUOTE=DeltaF;1420486[I]]Both times I was in this situation the guys who helped me out came up and started loudly telling the other person to "stop resisting." They didn't ask. They just made it obvious that they were on my side[/I].[/QUOTE]

From talking to my cop buddies this seems to be the best way to deal with that situation as a civilian. You have to make it clear i no uncertain terms and still the cop might not take it the right way. But it is a high emotion situation. So the civilian will want to get beyond the tunnel vision people tend to get in high stress situations.

improvised_prepper 11-02-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeltaF
Both times I was in this situation the guys who helped me out came up and started loudly telling the other person to "stop resisting." They didn't ask. They just made it obvious that they were on my side.

In your situation(s) could you pretty plainly see that you needed assistance or was it like the situation the OP stated? If you were the officer would you want someone to ask or just hop in?