You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

A noob's guide to motorcycling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3326 Times on 1677 Posts
Likes Given: 469

One piece of advice I didn't see mentioned:
If your a Noob Seek out a Motorcycle Safety Class.
If you been out of the saddle for a few years because life got in the way: Seek out a safety class.

Obligatory Bike Picture:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
tbird.jpg  
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-25-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 774 Posts
Likes Given: 1076

(1) NEVER follow a pickup or trailer loaded with household junk! (2) The fast lane is the safest lane. No one will be crossing in front of you. (3) Safest speed is a little faster than traffic. No one is coming up behind you. (4) Loud pipes may not save lives, but they sure are fun! (5) When riding in a group, ride in staggered formation with the leader in the left front position. Leader sets the pace, makes the decisions, i.e., he takes the wrong exit, stay together.Keep the formation tight enough to discourage cages from breaking up the group, but don't be an a**hole about it. Let them through. (6) Your mirror is your best friend. Wide-angle stick-ons very useful for spotting the idiot roosting in your blind spot. (7) Always wear the protective gear. Wear heavy leather riding gloves. Full riding suits for some, leather for us Harley riders. Leather chaps are good. Blue jeans abrade away fast on asphalt. Ask me how I know. Ride safe, guys!

Old 03-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #73
fmj

Liked 755 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
(1) NEVER follow a pickup or trailer loaded with household junk! (2) The fast lane is the safest lane. No one will be crossing in front of you. (3) Safest speed is a little faster than traffic. No one is coming up behind you. (4) Loud pipes may not save lives, but they sure are fun! (5) When riding in a group, ride in staggered formation with the leader in the left front position. Leader sets the pace, makes the decisions, i.e., he takes the wrong exit, stay together.Keep the formation tight enough to discourage cages from breaking up the group, but don't be an a**hole about it. Let them through. (6) Your mirror is your best friend. Wide-angle stick-ons very useful for spotting the idiot roosting in your blind spot. (7) Always wear the protective gear. Wear heavy leather riding gloves. Full riding suits for some, leather for us Harley riders. Leather chaps are good. Blue jeans abrade away fast on asphalt. Ask me how I know. Ride safe, guys!
Amen to the highlighted. I have em and am damn glad i do...ALWAYS some dumb$H!T that feels the need to ride in your blind spot!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #74

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

A buddy I know learned to never put tire shine on the tread.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM