Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > No gunsmithing threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default No gunsmithing threads

I was looking around and can't find anything. Im sure this community has a bunch of gunsmiths; how come they do not post any tutorials?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Did you happen to miss the entire section on Gunsmithing? Or were you looking for something in particular and were not able to find it?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f10/

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Did you happen to miss the entire section on Gunsmithing? Or were you looking for something in particular and were not able to find it?

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f10/
.......well.....of course I saw that forum. I was actually looking to learn a bit about gunsmithing; field stripping, parts replacement, barrel changing etc. Kind of like gunsmith beginner tips. Thanks for the link much appreciated.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
.......well.....of course I saw that forum. I was actually looking to learn a bit about gunsmithing; field stripping, parts replacement, barrel changing etc. Kind of like gunsmith beginner tips. Thanks for the link much appreciated.
We have 6 or 8 Gunsmiths that post here, and a couple of Apprentices as well.

Best bet is to start a thread with what you want to know, and wait for the Wealth of Knowledge to spill in.

The guys here are all good guys, with about a million years of collective knowledge. I don't think there has been a question asked yet that someone didn't have an answer for.

JD

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
We have 6 or 8 Gunsmiths that post here, and a couple of Apprentices as well.

Best bet is to start a thread with what you want to know, and wait for the Wealth of Knowledge to spill in.

The guys here are all good guys, with about a million years of collective knowledge. I don't think there has been a question asked yet that someone didn't have an answer for.

JD
I have lots of questions hope you guys dont get annoyed with me. Like for starters how does one become an apprentice? Do I have to slaughter little padawans at the jedi temple again?

Old 05-03-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I have lots of questions hope you guys dont get annoyed with me. Like for starters how does one become an apprentice? Do I have to slaughter little padawans at the jedi temple again?
LOL - Well, the first thing to consider is if you want to go to school, or apprentice.

I started by booking a rifle with a local smith that was highly recommended.

Over time, we became friends and when I was between contracts, I would go to the shop, hang out, learn a thing or two.

It just kind of evolved from there. Learned some stuff, became halfway useful on certain things and soon I was answering the phones, placing orders, scouring the internet for parts, stripping guns, turning muzzle breaks, bluing, all sorts of stuff...

I think if you have a good gunsmith in your area, you can probably go talk to them about spending some time and learning the trade. They won't pay you, but they will teach you stuff and that is better in my opinion. Every shop has a couple of shop rats that hang around, learn a few things, you just have to find the right shop for you.

As for the questions - ask away, everybody loves to help out...

JD

Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default My 2 cents...

Before I even buy a firearm, I do research. I read everything I can get my hands on about the firearm, including how to field strip the weapon. Most manufacturers websites even provide pdf files of the gun manuals that are provided with purchase. There are plenty of books(militarybookclub.com) on firearms disassembly. There's the AGI site with DVD gunsmithing videos. (americangunsmith.com) Once you get the basics of field and detail stripping down, and understand how the parts work, then you can learn which parts to hone, polish or replace to make the weapon function better.

After that...if you still think you need a graduate certificate...you got a good background to work with.

Worked for me...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOOTER13 View Post
Before I even buy a firearm, I do research. I read everything I can get my hands on about the firearm, including how to field strip the weapon. Most manufacturers websites even provide pdf files of the gun manuals that are provided with purchase. There are plenty of books(militarybookclub.com) on firearms disassembly. There's the AGI site with DVD gunsmithing videos. (americangunsmith.com) Once you get the basics of field and detail stripping down, and understand how the parts work, then you can learn which parts to hone, polish or replace to make the weapon function better.

After that...if you still think you need a graduate certificate...you got a good background to work with.

Worked for me...
cool, thanks for the sites.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
I was looking around and can't find anything. Im sure this community has a bunch of gunsmiths; how come they do not post any tutorials?

If you are wanting good tutorals you can find some here.
The Range Bag - Life, Liberty, Etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
If you are wanting good tutorals you can find some here.
The Range Bag - Life, Liberty, Etc.
oh thanks man thats exactly what I was looking for. I also enrolled in an online gunsmithing course(I have A LOT of free time). So I'm trying to keep myself busy with tons of hobbys till I get called for boot.