Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Nightmare in L.A....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1063 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Here is what I think. Keep in mind, what I think, not what I hope.

This kind of stuff is why some people consider gun bans a good thing. It is a shame, but that is the way it is. The reasoning is, "guns make the killing much easier" and that is the truth; that is what guns do best. Sure you could use a knife, club, car or any other lethal weapon, but it is harder to get someone to hold still long enough to club to death, and it takes far more thought and effort then just pulling a trigger. It is also more difficult to commit multiple murders with less lethal weapons. That reasoning is correct, and if all guns were banned, I do suspect that the murder rate would drop. The problem is all guns will never disappear from our society. There are people that can't wrap their heads around that.

As the American public gets poorer and poorer, and more and more hopeless, more of this stuff will happen until one day, something really awful, like we haven't seen yet, will happen. Reason will go out the window, the politicians will follow, and the "BAN" will come. I can only expect to live another 10-20 years, and I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, but I do believe it will happen, and I do believe the younger members will see it.

When the time comes, the vast majority of gun owners will go the way of the Europeans and learn to live under repressive gun laws. Only the rich will be able to own guns that are kept in vaults at their clubs. There will be some hold-outs, though not near as many as the members here might think. When the decision comes to risk prison or worse, the vast majority will choose life and their families over their desire to own, what will become, illegal weapons.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Here is what I think. Keep in mind, what I think, not what I hope.

This kind of stuff is why some people consider gun bans a good thing. It is a shame, but that is the way it is. The reasoning is, "guns make the killing much easier" and that is the truth; that is what guns do best. Sure you could use a knife, club, car or any other lethal weapon, but it is harder to get someone to hold still long enough to club to death, and it takes far more thought and effort then just pulling a trigger. It is also more difficult to commit multiple murders with less lethal weapons. That reasoning is correct, and if all guns were banned, I do suspect that the murder rate would drop. The problem is all guns will never disappear from our society. There are people that can't wrap their heads around that.

As the American public gets poorer and poorer, and more and more hopeless, more of this stuff will happen until one day, something really awful, like we haven't seen yet, will happen. Reason will go out the window, the politicians will follow, and the "BAN" will come. I can only expect to live another 10-20 years, and I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, but I do believe it will happen, and I do believe the younger members will see it.

When the time comes, the vast majority of gun owners will go the way of the Europeans and learn to live under repressive gun laws. Only the rich will be able to own guns that are kept in vaults at their clubs. There will be some hold-outs, though not near as many as the members here might think. When the decision comes to risk prison or worse, the vast majority will choose life and their families over their desire to own, what will become, illegal weapons.
That's pretty much the reality of it....all, but simply giving them up. This country is a little different than most...I'm sure it would get ugly.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.