Next Rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Next Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Default Next Rifle

Now that my first AR is securely in the safe my greedy little mind is thinking what next. Should I do another AR platform in a larger Caliber? Stag has a 6.8 lower that is reasonably priced. They say the 6.8 has 80% of the stopping power as the 7.62 with ½ the recoil. But it looks like 6.8 ammo costs more than 7.62.

Or should I be happy with the one AR and go with a more conventional rifle. Maybe a Remington 750 semi auto in 30/06 or 308. Or should I pony up the almost 2k for the Springfield A1?

Anyone want to talk me down out of my tree? Or better yet climb on up and help me obsess?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think you need a .30 caliber bolt gun to be honest.

Something that can shoot Minute of Angle and something that can put food on the table, or stop the Space Zombies from breaching the far lines while you sit safely WAY back over there.

JD

Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had an SA M1A Scout Squad with composite stock. I had to sell it because of financial issues, otherwise I would still have it. It was a soft shooter, accurate and handled beautifully. You can't go wrong with one. Ammunition is still available although a bit pricey.

I had a DSArms FAL before the M1A, and it was also an excellent rifle. However, CA required a fixed mag because of the pistol grip and evil features.
I perceived the recoil to be a bit harsh and I'm not particularly recoil sensitive. It just wasn't fun to shoot. The M1A in contrast was a pleasure to shoot both for recoil and ergonomics.

I am not an AR guy, so I have zero input for you there.

My current battle rifle is a 1943 Springfield M1 Garand. It's a shooter for sure and an accurate and honorable old warhorse. It's heavy, and limited to eight rounds, but I would stake my life on it.

I don't know if this helps any, but I enjoyed writing it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I think you need a .30 caliber bolt gun to be honest.

Something that can shoot Minute of Angle and something that can put food on the table, or stop the Space Zombies from breaching the far lines while you sit safely WAY back over there.

JD
Any makes and models I should put on my want list?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I don't know if this helps any, but I enjoyed writing it.
I think the only help for my obsession would be Zanex!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

A man of yer stature and fortune should always have one of these

Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I think that your next rifle should be a 7.62 SUR... If you can, buy the Sprinfield M1A in .308... that's a hell of a rifle, and of course an F.N FAL (DSA stg58 with 18" or 21" barrel) would be nice too... A bolt action .308 or 30-06 would be nice too if you don't have one yet...

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 06-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
I think that your next rifle should be a 7.62 SUR... If you can, buy the Sprinfield M1A in .308... that's a hell of a rifle, and of course an F.N FAL (DSA stg58 with 18" or 21" barrel) would be nice too... A bolt action .308 or 30-06 would be nice too if you don't have one yet...
I think that's a big plus of the M1A over the Rem 750. The M1A is chambered for 7.62 so it can shoot NATO or 308. The Rem just shoots 308.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you go with an M1A, you won't be disappointed. If you are, I'll give you $50. cash money and take it off your hands.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
Any makes and models I should put on my want list?
Sako TRG

Weatherby Vanguard SUB MOA / Howa 1500

Or you can piece one together and spend $5K.