Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Newbie. Question about buying at a gun show (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/newbie-question-about-buying-gun-show-34056/)

vr4operator 11-07-2010 03:10 AM

Newbie. Question about buying at a gun show

As it states above, I'm new. Both to the forum and owning a handgun. Or looking to anyway.

I was wonder what the consensus was for buying at a show versus local or online. I'm guessing buying local, the seller will work with you if issues arise. But who isn't looking to save a buck when you can?

I'm Navy and live close to the base range. I'm interested in the XDM 40S&W. Looking for personal protection more than anything.

Anyway, like I said, just looking to see if I should bother going to the gun show tomorrow to buy or not.

Thanks,

Butch

Jay 11-07-2010 09:36 AM

As long as you have the knowledge to be able spot potential issues with a given gun, buying from a gun show is usually cheaper. Even if you buy from a dealer, problems with a new gun usually will end up involving the factory, and some dealers will work with you better than others. Check the dealers' policy before you buy, so you'll know where you stand. There are differing opinions on this, but I'd suggest a bill of sale, so you can prove where you obtained the gun. For a seller to refuse to sign a bill of sale, or a receipt, would raise all sorts of red flags to me. But then, I'm old.....

c3shooter 11-07-2010 10:43 AM

FWIW, if you are stationed in a state NOT your "home of record", you CAN buy a handgun, but you will need proof that you are stationed there- and no, military ID alone does not do that. You may need a copy of the PCS orders posting you to that state. If your driver's license and 2nd ID both show an address in the state where you are stationed, probably not an issue.

Me? I go to gunshows looking for older firearms that are out of production. Rarely do I find a real "gun show special price" on new firearms.

They are also handy for stocking up on beef jerky, "Death from Above" T shirts, and costume jewelry. :p

Hey- go ahead and go- you may find a seller with a used good condition model you are looking for, that is willing to do a little wheeling and dealing. And there is always the beef jerky......

DrumJunkie 11-07-2010 11:01 AM

Buying at gun shows is like going to pawn shops or other placers that have used weapons. You will want to lookit over and you will probably have to sift through some bad ones and a few over priced. But every time I am at a show I will see at least a few that will shine above the others and maybe even hear a choir of angels alerting you to the fact that this one is the one you just must have and if you don't get it a large piano will land on you.:D

Just be careful of deals that are too good to be true and you should be just fine. Most the shows I go to have FFL dealers that have shops and they are not going to want to have an upset customer on their hands. Many will have business cards showing their shop address and/or website. I find I see better all around deals at these booths. Private sellers might have deals but when you buy a firearm with no real paper trail connecting you to the seller it makes it easier for something shifty to happen. Will it? maybe not. But bare in mind you would be buying off a private party that does not have to keep logs to fall back on. And I'll wager you will not know this person. I've bought a few this way but I usually try to lean to FFL dealers. It just puts my mind at ease knowing that he has to have logs of the weapon he/she sold me. It's not like buying a gun off your friend. This is just some guy that follows gun shows around. The private sales/trades I do I write up a recipt with the S/N and it will have my name and the person buying it. Then I make a copy for the person buying it. It's a small thing that heps put people at ease and in my opinion someone with nothing to hide should have no problem doing this.

All in all gun shows are a great place to find a good deal of a firearm.You just need to be sure to check out what you are thinking about buying and trust your gut. If you have any reason to not be totally at ease with a seller than you're better off to just move on and look for the next good deal. :)

vr4operator 11-07-2010 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the info!

VA isn't my home of record, but I already have my concealed carry for VA. I actually planned ahead, lol.

I am definately looking for brand new. It'll be my first firearm and while the Navy and Blackwater taught me how to shoot fairly well, I'm not comfortable enough to look at a used weapon and know what I'm getting into.

I'll pick up some beef jerky too! Funny stuff ;)

The MCX has the one I'm looking for, and I did some research on internet prices, so if I don't hear any angels singing, I'll just go back to the MCX.

I'm also looking for a gun safe and some ammo while I'm there.

Thanks all,

Butch

danf_fl 11-08-2010 01:25 AM

Some places may require that you have proof of your residence in the form of electric bills, or other mail.

lonyaeger 11-08-2010 01:51 AM

In my opinion, gun shows are not what they used to be in terms of being able to find a rare treasure or a steal. You might be able to find good deals on ammo, brass, or accessories, but rarely in firearms themselves. That's just my experience as of late.

But I still go because it's fun to be able to see and browse all that inventory under one roof!

Yunus 11-08-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vr4operator (Post 382113)
Thanks for all the info!

VA isn't my home of record, but I already have my concealed carry for VA. I actually planned ahead, lol.

I am definately looking for brand new. It'll be my first firearm and while the Navy and Blackwater taught me how to shoot fairly well, I'm not comfortable enough to look at a used weapon and know what I'm getting into.

I'll pick up some beef jerky too! Funny stuff ;)

The MCX has the one I'm looking for, and I did some research on internet prices, so if I don't hear any angels singing, I'll just go back to the MCX.

I'm also looking for a gun safe and some ammo while I'm there.

Thanks all,

Butch

I'd use the MCX for a couple reasons. They are going to be familiar with how to properly verify you are stationed in VA and can legally purchase a handgun and you don't have to pay tax.

You mentioned before about the seller working with you if there are issues. This might be true if you have questions about your gun, but if you have any problems you are going to go to the manufacturer, the seller will not work on the gun most likely, gun manufacturers usually have very good customer service departments. I can't comment on Springfield's but I'm sure there are plenty of members who can tell you from experience if it's good or bad.

Overkill0084 11-08-2010 09:11 PM

If the exchange can get you what you want, they will be very hard to beat. All other things being equal, the sales tax savings alone will make it worth your while.
As far as gun shows go, like any other shopping, know what your looking for and what it's worth. You may just find a good deal on the gun of your choice. But if you don't, just enjoy wandering around.