Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New vs Used Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8382 Times on 3627 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

My FFL is an 03 C&R COLLECTOR'S license- most C&R guns are 50 yrs old or older (there are a few exceptions) so MOST of what I collect is definitely in the Used category. And I love it. Sitting here looking at a LOVELY little Remington 552 Speedmaster 22 rifle I got about 2 weeks ago. Gently used, but obviously showing sign that it was not brand new- but in very good operating condition.

Broke it down, gave it a good cleaning (GAD- 22 ammo is FILTHY stuff!) Bluing looked good, but no longer that nice shiny blue of a new rifle. About 2 hours while watching a movie, buffed the metal with a soft cloth wetted with light oil. Stock and forearm showed usual small handling marks in the finish, and one light scratch about 6 inches long on the stock. Another soft cloth, and a teaspoon of Formby's Tung Oil finish. Rub until wood gets warm.

I now have a well loved rifle that looks really good, shoots great, cost me 1/2 of what a new rifle would have cost, requiring only the investment of about a dollar in materials, and some time.

New guns? Sure- just picked up a Ruger Mk III- and it is lovely. But so is my Ruger Standard that I bought in 1970. One of my prettiest was a Remington 660- bought from a pawnshop.

Find out what to look for for, shop carefully, and be willing to haggle a bit (gently, politely- The question "Got any wiggle room on the price?" will frequently get you a drop if you look like a serious buyer)

Anyway- where am I going to find a NEW Mossberg 144 or 46B, when they stopped making them half a century ago?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 AM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

In my area you are going to pay more for a used gun that a new one. Not sure why case in point Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 it was beat the hell up about 20 years old treated like a red headed stepchild and they wanted $2000 for it.

Remington 700 VLS 22-250 used $800 without scope new $700.

I know they price them like that for a reason but all of my last buys have been new.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #13

Liked 1020 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Just my personal preference but I would only buy used if I knew the owner. Two problems with used in my mind, liability first and foremost, if that gun is stolen or found to be involved in a crime and I now own it, well that's just attention I would prefer to avoid not to mention the fact that I would lose my gun for evidence. Second is every used gun I see I question, why is this person selling this gun, was it a lemon, is it not accurate, does it jam? I know people sell for many other reasons especially with times being tough like they are now but guns are not like cars, guns hold their value quite well. It's not worth saving a few bucks to get a lemon in my opinion.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-11-2009, 03:19 AM   #14

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Just my personal preference but I would only buy used if I knew the owner. Two problems with used in my mind, liability first and foremost, if that gun is stolen or found to be involved in a crime and I now own it, well that's just attention I would prefer to avoid not to mention the fact that I would lose my gun for evidence. Second is every used gun I see I question, why is this person selling this gun, was it a lemon, is it not accurate, does it jam? I know people sell for many other reasons especially with times being tough like they are now but guns are not like cars, guns hold their value quite well. It's not worth saving a few bucks to get a lemon in my opinion.
Thanks for proof positive of what we are sure you are who you are.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #15

Most of my guns are used that I buy....I just research them first check the rifling to make sure it all looks good to me.

Since I don't know much about barrels and rifling though I make sure to get rifles that I can easily find or have a barrel made later on.

I always but used Revolvers and shotguns though...can't go wrong with those guys....well as long as you pay attention.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
At least where I live it's easy to check if your firearm purchased private sale isn't hot. The state police and the local sherif's department will run the serial number for a miinimal cost and send you an email or letter letting you know the firearm is not stolen. It's a great document as it show when you purchased the firearm and had it checked. It doesn't register the firearm in your name just proof that it wasn't stolen and provides a time line when you purchased the firearm. The rest is up to the experience of the person purchasing the firearm. Know the firearm you are purchasing well and inspect it. If you don't know Sh&t about firearm then take the time to learn before you buy. I believe most of the used firearms I purchased where bought by people who bought them new and had no concept of what they bought. After shooting them learned it wasn't the firearm for them, some are from people that traded up, others are from those got the firearm from a family member and have no use for it and some are from people that need to sell to make the rent/pay the bills. In twenty years of buying used firearms I never purchased a hot gun. I have gotten some good deals but nothing out of the norm. If it is too good to be real it just might be.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 AM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have bought both new and used and have had no problems. That said, I try to research them and check them carefully.

I guess the safest bet for used is from a dealer. There is one local dealer I know that will let me test fire a used one. Just walk out the back door and try it out. I stop over there and just get myself in trouble.....haha

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Good Points made?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Good Points made by all and thanks for the comments! I do have to agree with WDB and Yunus, as well as Sage advice by OC357, If your new to the game or Not Buying from someone that you can count on to back the Used gun or a shop that you know will, a New Gun might be a better bet, But as age, time and experience get under your Belt, you learn to look for what ya need to see, wear and tear, bad abuse problems and as in Buying a car, IT'S ALWAYS BUYER BEWARE? I have to admit, I have been Lucky and no one took advantage of me in my early Gun owner years and I learned what to look for and what nto to? I can Look at a Used handgun or Long Gun and what wear is normal, Nominal or excessive, I have learned to cheak the fit and Finish on many a used firearm so I don't get taken! Can it still happen, SURE? I know of a Trade on a 45 I did once could have turned out badly, the Guy was a Dealer at a show and I traed a Used S & W Model 39 in the Box in excellent condition, I traded for a Star PD a small Consealable 45, the 39 was like new the 45 I found out that night had a Cracked frame? The dealer refusted to Give me my trade back, but once I made a few P.A. Announcements of his Busiess Pratices on the Public PA for the Show, once he heard that a few times and customers started asking questions, he came looking to Trade me back? All in all had that been an individual Owner and same deal I could have lost out? I did inspect it but the crack was hard to see and hard to find even once ya knew what to look for?

RON

Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #19

I’ve had good luck buying used guns. They are all worth more than I paid for them, I can’t say that about the new ones I have. I did buy all but one off of gun dealers. It was a Ruger mini-14 that had a missing part. Firing it caused no damage and I replaced the part for under $10. I knew this person. He had got it off a local gun store a few months before and needed the money. I paid $300 with two stocks, case, 20 round mag and some ammo. I bought a new MAK90 with a canted front sight that hit 4 ½ inches off at 50 yards. My best buy was a Colt 380 Mustang Pocketlite for $260 in 1997, which I have seen selling for $700 now.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 10-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have no problem buying used guns.

Know what you call a new gun that has been fired one time? That's right--a used gun.