New vs Used Firearms
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New vs Used Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 07:08 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default New vs Used Firearms

I thought this might provide an interesting topic of discussion and also be helpful to folks new to firearms.

When I was just getting back into firearms, I initially wouldn't consider anything but a new gun. As I became more comfortable and knowledgeable I started buying used firearms as well. I've gotten a few used lemons, but I also got one or two new guns that were lemons as well. Now, I just buy what I like if it seems to check out well.

Of course, I realize that many firearms are no longer in production, so if I want one, the best I can do is find a used one in good condition. What are your opinions about used versus new?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you've hit on a big topic in regards to use firearms. My first handgun was an new XD. I liked the way the XD felt and fired but knowing little about handguns at the time I wanted a new one for the factory warrenty. Since then I've learned more and I feel more comfortable buying a used one. I've owned several new and used handguns since.
My very first gun as a very slightly used, looked like new Winchester 1300. I bought it at age 12 with my dad's help and it has functioned flawlessly in the 15 years I've owned it.
Having said all that, I think the reason I have had good sucess with used weapons is because they were great weapons when new. If a good weapon, Winchester 1300, model 70, Mossy 500, Ruger GP or SP, S&W 19, 29 etc...can be found used odds are it will function. When I find a used weapon I might be interested in, I research the crap out of it if I'm not familiar with it. Just remember, you can't polish a turd.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I've bought, sold, and traded a number of guns over the years. My ratio of used to new guns is probably about 8 to 1 or so. I've learned what to look for and I feel very comfortable buying used - it allows me to get a lot more gun for the money...

Old 10-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #4

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Just remember, you can't polish a turd.
Right. All you get is a shiny turd. So far I haven't seen any used guns I'm interested in (although the Romanian PSL I just got probably qualifies) other than M1 Garands. I haven't bought any...yet...but, as you noted, I'm not familiar with them so I'm researching the hell out of the items of interest. This site (Collecting and Restoring The M1 Garand) seems to be helpful.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have gotten most of my guns new, but I do have a few used ones also.

I have a chance in a couple of weeks to get a used H&K .40 with night sights and three mag for a very good price so I think there will be another used in my future

Old 10-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I buy used guns all the time,you just need to know about what your buying,and what to look for. Some models are known for problems.
I also buy new guns from time to time,but you can save alot of $$$ buying used,especially when you find someone in a financial bind and needing quick cash.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Great topic, in my book.

One can find very good used revolvers at a great price, as I have done. The easiest and most 'no worry' used guns are pump shotguns and revolvers, if you know what to look for. Just as used cars can be great buys if you know what to look for.

A used semi handgun can be a crap shoot, imo. There are great deals out there, and just like anyting else....If it seems too good to be true, it usually is. I have never bought a used semi, but I have looked at a few. You need to take them apart to see what you have. Look for broken springs, missing parts and the like.

That is why a used revolver is easy to check out. Does the cylinder have side to side play?...

When buying used, one needs to know what to look for based on the mfr and the like.

New, purchases should consider mfr and mfr warranty. I can not expect the same out of the box performance of a new firearm as a used firearm. Educating yourself about what you are in search for is the first step.

Good thread.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Used or New, BOTH OF COURSE?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

When the Topic of New or Used firearms come up, I always say YES TO BOTH! As a few have mentioned they BOTH have thier place? Due to my Finincial Sitiation I have been buying used gunsfor a long time now, But, Once ina whiule I see it as a good more to buy new? I bought my Rock island Arsenal 1911A1 45 ACP Pistol clone new, as well as my M-95 Classic Browning High Power MK 3 clone new! See Pics of 1911A1 45 clone and BHP Clone:

They were to replace the same guns I sold off when I was out of work, but buying even the used Origional models seems silly to what I can buy the new closes for? In the case of my AK, a Well used Egyptian AK-47, it was a deal and a Half, I got it from a guy i knew going though a bad Divorce (Is thier any other kind), and thought it was a decade ago, it was still a deal, I got the Rifle, 12 30 rnd mags a 10 rnd mag and 2500 rnds of ammo, for $375? LOL My AR, is a Franken Build, a Used Rock River Lower and a Olympic Super match upper in 20" and all is Painted Desert Brown, see pic:

AK and Desert Warrior AR:

When is it right to Buy new and when right to buy used? You wilol know it when ya see it? Thats my advice? LOL

RON

Old 10-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think if you are new to firearms new is the way to go. If your expereince with firearms there are many good deals to be had if you know how to check out the firearm. If looking at a used semi auto you should know how to feild strip it and do this to inspect before buying. You may not see all the issues but you can see excessive wear or poor care pretty easy. I buy both but often if I can find it used I will go that route and safe some $.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Like I said, I've had good and bad with both used and new firearms. Sometimes it's buying a pig in a poke, but sometimes there's diamonds to be found.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams