A new twist on those we remember on veterans day. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A new twist on those we remember on veterans day.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 367 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i don't know how my great grandmother did it, a husband & 2 sons all overseas at the same time. granted, great grandpa was far from the lines in WWII serving on the office & personnel side of things. but the fact that 3/5 of that family potentially could have never come back must've been a nerve rattling experience for her.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I know exactly what you mean. My great grandmother had a husband and five sons overseas, all of them on the front lines or very close to it.

She was left at home with her only surviving daughter, and a boy who was 7 when they all left, he was several years older when the last came home, a POW who was a bit of a late arrival (total of two POW's). That boy was my grandfather, who later went to Korea, and stayed out of the mix as well as he could as a communications guy (don't know what they were called back then).

Every last one survived. My family buried it's last WWII vet on my grandfather's side this past summer, and it's only Korean vet in 2009.

My grandmother's brother is still alive, and served in Korea with my grandfather (he introduced the two, but tried to keep them apart), and later served in Vietnam, also in communications. Other than a larynectomy and several bouts with cancer, he seems to intend to stick around for a while.

Funny, no military history on my Dad's family, but several potters. They've been called, I kid you not, the "rockstars of the pottery world". WTH?

Sorry. The ADD has been kicking my butt today.