Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   New tiller (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/new-tiller-88384/)

CourtJester 04-07-2013 09:10 PM

Okay. I got a new rear tine tiller from menards. Used it once and the gear box oil started boiling and melted the dipstick completely off. Took it back to return it 4 days after I bought it and they won't take it back because it has been used. I know.... WTF??? Right? I'm now stuck with a $500 POS that I'm not too trusting of on the quality side from a company I have spent all day returning my current home projects to. Police were called, it was a great time they will all remember.

So question is... What kind of gear oil do y'all use in yours because clearly the crap the manufacturer calls for and uses doesn't work.

MisterMcCool 04-07-2013 09:16 PM

If menards sells oil, I'd get a few different bottles and park the tiller in their flower bed and experiment until I found one that suits the tiller. ;)

CourtJester 04-07-2013 09:21 PM

Nah. I called a buddy that owns a sign shop. The parking place will be in the front yard to share my experience on how they are "dedicated to service and quality"

CourtJester 04-07-2013 09:27 PM

I'd still like to know a good gear oil to use till the gears blow out. I'm sure that will be by te end of the season as it has a slew of plastic caked into it.

winds-of-change 04-07-2013 09:39 PM

I'd call the company that made the tiller. Maybe they'll give you some good service.

locutus 04-07-2013 09:53 PM

Ya shoulda got a Troy-bilt.

Course ya know that.........now!:o

c3shooter 04-07-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

I'd call the company that made the tiller
Winds nailed it. Problem is NOT the type of gear lube. Problem is there is a problem inside the gear case. Changing lube is not likely to change that. Something was not made right or assembled right. It has a warranty, right? Use it.

CourtJester 04-08-2013 12:35 AM

Yeah. I called them. It's the weekend so no answer.
I'm more bugged that menards won't back or replace what they sell.

winds-of-change 04-08-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester (Post 1206857)
Yeah. I called them. It's the weekend so no answer.
I'm more bugged that menards won't back or replace what they sell.

I agree. They should have taken the item back and dealt with the company themselves.

paintsplat 04-08-2013 04:56 AM

They wont take anything back that has had oil or gas put in it. I Tried to buy a lawnmower from Menards, the mower had a sale sign on it, at the register they said the sale was over and someone forgot to take the sign down, I told them that it had the sign in it they should sell it to me for that price, they said normal they would, but since my wife worked for Menards. I couldn't take advantage of their mistake, store policy.