New shooting in Orlando
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New shooting in Orlando

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New shooting in Orlando

Former employee opens fire at Orlando office tower - Yahoo! News

Former employee opens fire at Orlando office tower
AP

This video frame grab image taken from WFTV television shows the Legions Place AP – This video frame grab image taken from WFTV television shows the Legions Place office building in downtown …

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer Mike Schneider, Associated Press Writer – 4 mins ago

ORLANDO, Fla. – Officials searched Friday for a gunman who opened fire in a downtown office building where he used to work. At least six people were hurt.

People streamed out of the 16-story Legion Place office building around lunchtime and some told local television stations they had barricaded themselves inside their offices.

Orlando Fire Department District Chief Michael Droege said an unknown number of people were still in the building and could be injured. He said the SWAT team was trying to pull people out.

"The building is not secure now," he said. "It's still unfolding."

Orlando police spokeswoman Barbara Jones identified the gunman as Jason Rodriguez, 40, and said he might be in a 2002 silver Nissan SUV with license plate D119UX. She said he used to work at the building but did not say where or when he left.

"I would consider him armed and dangerous," Jones said. She said at least five people were taken to a hospital and another had chest pains but did not go to the hospital. Orlando Regional Medical Center said four people were being treated in the emergency department.

She confirmed witnesses told police the shooting started at Reynolds Smith & Hill, a transportation engineering consulting firm in the building.

"You got a guy going into a business on a Friday where people are trying to make an honest living ..." Jones said.

Gerry Gilgo, who works on the floor where the shooting occurred, told The Associated Press she was meeting a co-worker at the elevators for lunch.

"She yelled, 'There are gunshots! There are gunshots! Get back in your office,'" Gilgo said.

Will Halpern, an attorney works on the building's 17th floor, was among the last group to be evacuated. He said the lobby was filled with about 20 officers in SWAT gear, carrying assault weapons, ready to search.

Interstate 4 was closed in both directions through downtown and nearby schools were locked down.

Rows of ambulances lined up outside the building as police snipers took up positions around the building and officers on foot and horseback searched the area.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default They come in threes

Yesterday Ft. Hood, Today Florida. These things come in threes, so stay cocked and locked for the next few days.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This stuff just gives credence to the anti gunners. It pisses me off.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #4

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Hearing reports that he was fired in June 2007 for performance related issues. That is a hell of a long time to stay mad.

How come no one close to him sensed that he was stewing about it?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #5

I'm pretty active on another (not weapons related) forum. It's international and very active, so when this news story came up, someone immediately posted about it and then the anti-gun comments started coming. "People do not need access to such firearms!" "You do not need to buy as much firepower as you'd like" Blah, blah, blah. It made me just want to ... log off and come over here for a while!

All the gun laws in the world didn't stop this guy:

7 dead, many injured in truck and knife attack. - Democratic Underground

OMG! Ban all trucks! Ban all knives!

I'm just so tired of people being so uninformed about the gun issue.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I'm pretty active on another (not weapons related) forum. It's international and very active, so when this news story came up, someone immediately posted about it and then the anti-gun comments started coming. "People do not need access to such firearms!" "You do not need to buy as much firepower as you'd like" Blah, blah, blah. It made me just want to ... log off and come over here for a while!

All the gun laws in the world didn't stop this guy:

7 dead, many injured in truck and knife attack. - Democratic Underground

OMG! Ban all trucks! Ban all knives!

I'm just so tired of people being so uninformed about the gun issue.
Well put sir!

Nut up or Shut up!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name View Post
Well put sir!
I'm a ma'am.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post