New pup - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New pup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Looks like a good dog. Take time with em. Nothing is as important as time with a dog. Be patient and make sure to show lots of love. Your dog will thank you for years. That animal is going to crave your praise more than anything else. Dogs want to please their humans. You are the leader of his pack...The alpha dog. You show him love and companionship and he will do the same. It's a huge commitment to own a dog.It should not be taken lightly. The Shepperd and lab in him will show you really fast if he is feeling neglected. Holes, torn up stuff ar eall signs of anxiety and those two breeds are notorious for it. But you show him that you are glad he's part of your family he will return the favor 10 fold.

My dog would do anything for all of us here at the house as well as my wife's grandparents across the road. But that dog goes almost everywhere I go and we spend a lot of time with her. She will go after woodlend creatures and has killed many but never messes with my cats, chickens or the cattle. Shes a wonderful watch dog and I never really trained her for any of it. She just loves the family and wants to do her part to protect them.

Treat a dog like family and they will act like family. There is no substitute for love.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97

Puppy school? What's that?
Yep - what bige9 said. Find a good trainer. It can be a breeder/trainer too, not just a big box store. And by the way, they don't train the puppy, they train you! The dog's only as smart as the person teaching it. Firmly voiced commands with positive reinforcement (a small treat - bit of cheese or bit of hot dog) every time he does a command or action you like reinforces that behavior. Hitting and yelling just gets you a fearful, confused dog. If you find a trainer that tells you otherwise, find another one.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

dango Likes This 
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

I found a problem...... He's scared of me when I stand. In order forme to play with him or pick him up or put his lead on I have to take a knee and coax him over..... How should I remedy this problem?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8176 Times on 4888 Posts
Likes Given: 10549

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
I found a problem...... He's scared of me when I stand. In order forme to play with him or pick him up or put his lead on I have to take a knee and coax him over..... How should I remedy this problem?
He's a baby and he's scared. Newly away from his mom and litter mates. He'll come around. When he sees that you're kind and fair and fun and that the leash means a good time exploring the outdoors, he'll come around.

I like all the advice here. Kind, gentle, fair treatment. Your dog wants to be a good dog. Help him know what's acceptable and what isn't and he'll do the right thing.

As for crate training, my dogs have a crate and they sleep in it all the time even though I rarely close the door anymore. Also, let your dog know the crate is his "safe spot". My children and now my grandchildren are taught when the dog is in his crate, he is to be left alone. That's his spot to rest and get away from any annoying humans.
People Like This 
Old 05-16-2013, 08:38 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

A very fine example of one of our K-9 friends. Good for you.

USN Vet
Retired LEO
" o xein angellein Lakedaimoniois hote tede
keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"

Old 05-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
He's a baby and he's scared. Newly away from his mom and litter mates. He'll come around. When he sees that you're kind and fair and fun and that the leash means a good time exploring the outdoors, he'll come around. .
^QFT^

It will take time for the dog to settle in and understand that you are not a scary mean guy. Right now you are tall and not too well known yet and scary.

Pups usually come around pretty quick. They crave your praise and will respond to it. Just take small steps to your goal. Id you cna get em leash trained pretty quick then the pup will be pretty used to your standing around him.
I don't do crating so I have no working knowledge there. My dog is kind of big nad I would need another room addition for a crate like that. My dog runs free all night and most of the day unless we are going someplace. Then she rides with me. Because I seem to not be able to drive without her in the truck (she seems to think anyway)

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3374 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Savage, congrats...he's very handsome! I am also owned by an 82 lb OEB(olde English Bulldogge) named GATOR(who has a facebook page with more friends then my wife!:-) we rescued him and he's trained to be my therapy/emotional support Dog(I'm a DAV) He will be with me a year in 3 weeks, and three weeks ago he saved my life! I have been on a medically supervised Diet(lost 123 pounds in 3 months-a whole person!)
and my sugar dropped so low that i went into kidney failure and was only a few hours from making my wife a widow...the dog smelled my ketones were too low and began to bark when i passed out. My wife called the paramedics and THx G-d i am still here today. I will do anything for my Dog-Son...he's the second most important being in my life, with him being #1b and the DW being#1a...I wish you much luck. take good care of him and he will do the same for you...

image.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #18
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
Like Winds and Drum said, it takes time. I've had dogs all my life. When we picked out our Newf 8 years ago, he was the laid back, friendly lap dog at the breeder's house. Real happy and goofy. Got him home and for about three days he sulked. Head under the table, lethargic - I was crushed that he was so unhappy, and nothing I could do. Just spent time laying on the floor with him, petting him, some brushing, a little bit of toy time - always reinforced with a little treat. He came out of it. Put the leash on him just sitting on the floor - a little treat. Walked him a little around the house on the leash - a little treat. Before you know it, you'll have a puppy that associates everything with you as enjoyable and nothing to be scared of. If he's scared when you stand up, try calling his name first so you have his attention, stand up, pet him, and help him understand there's nothing to be afraid of. Just give him a few more days.

Edit - if he doesn't want the treats, that's OK. He's still getting used to everything. Soon, he'll associate it with good things.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Last edited by KJG67; 05-16-2013 at 03:01 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #19

Liked 441 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

photo.jpg

its all about repatition with pups they will get it if you teach it.heres our dog meeting our new adopted cat,were working on keeping her from playing to rough with the cat.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3374 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Sometimes my Guy(bully-boy) Jumps up on our dual recliner(the only piece of furniture he's allowed on in the house) to look our my front windows if he hears something that deserves his attention(the cats next door, a dog in the street) but he's also very aware of Wild animals from the surrounding area(we're in the High Desert/Mountains area just south of Sedona) and twice now he's gone Ape-Shyt when Javalinas(sp.) are on our street! when we first got him last year we had not bought the house yet, and were in an apt. complex the next town over, that had a Family of them living in the drainage pipes under the development's parking and rec. areas. Gator could Smell them 500 ft. away, and when they smelled him they would start clicking their tusks,..always thought they were in the SOW family but their closest relative according to my Pal who is a ret. science teacher is the hippo family....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-22-2013 at 05:58 AM.