Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New pup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default New pup

I just got my first dog. He is part lab,germanshepard, chow and collie. That what the people I guy him from said at least. Well anyways I was wondering if u guys had any training tips and tricks? I want him to retrieve and I also want him to be a walkin and truck buddy when I'm big game hunting
Thanks guys

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 AM   #2

Oops forgot the pictures. He's pretty good sized for 9 weeks old

Old 05-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 966 Times on 493 Posts
Likes Given: 701

You're killing me man! He's awesome looking! I want one!

Puppy school is always a good start. And get him used to riding in the truck. Unfortunately I've never had a dog great at riding in a car, so I'm of no use.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67
You're killing me man! He's awesome looking! I want one!

Puppy school is always a good start. And get him used to riding in the truck. Unfortunately I've never had a dog great at riding in a car, so I'm of no use.
Puppy school? What's that?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #5

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

I think he's talking about the classes they have at petsmart or Petco. Something like that. Start them of young walking on a leash and riding in vehicles, get them around kids and other people. Positive punishment works a lot better In the end with dogs. Got yourself a fine pup there,y brother is picking up a Great Dane in a few weeks.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #6
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Sweet!

First off, the fifteen girlfriends you have had in two years? Dogs are not that way. If you cannot make a fifteen year commitment to being his constant companion, best friend, meal maker, park walking buddy everyday, rain, snow, cold, hot, find him someone that can. It is not fair to the creature, to bond with him, then you change the plans for both of you.

That said, now, on to the fun stuff. Good food, clean fresh water is a must. Puppy food at first. Easy on the table scraps, it makes them heavy, and they grow picky about eating dog food.

If you want him to fetch, use a frisby as his food dish. He will always bring you his food dish if you start out putting a little food in it as you play together.

Want a lap dog, cuddle dog, start him early being on your lap all the time. Remember, that is another fifteen year decision.

Constantly praise him for anything you can, and be light on the punishment, never hit with your hand. Lightly rolled up paper of some kind, and just one quick swat, even if he destroys your $1000 lap top. Goes with the territory. Keep your things picked up.

Have fun, and post more pics.

Last edited by AR10; 05-15-2013 at 05:43 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2221 Times on 1379 Posts
Likes Given: 14838

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97 View Post
I just got my first dog. He is part lab,germanshepard, chow and collie. That what the people I guy him from said at least. Well anyways I was wondering if u guys had any training tips and tricks? I want him to retrieve and I also want him to be a walkin and truck buddy when I'm big game hunting
Thanks guys
Love him like you would yourself , never raise your hand in anger , only in play , house breaking is very easy and not loud or painful , be his playful Pal and he will be your playful puppy for life..! the retrieving mode is well triggered by the play mode..!

Know this , one day , he will pass and break your heart , it IS WELL WORTH THE PAIN..!
Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts

Great info ar. Unlike our typical society reward more positive behavior then Disciplining negative . Reward positives like "going outside " or "going potty" . Very rarely should you discipline a dog. My shepherd is the most obedient dog I have ever known and never been "hit" . Comes on command goes to bathroom outside and is my best friend . A dog is what you make it. If you beat it like an a hole your dog will be worth less to anyone including yourself . Just like people ... Treat your dog like you would like to be treated keeping in mind you do everything for that dog and he/she knows it

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4568 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 4712

Looks more like a small black bear! That will not be a lap dog unless you have a really big lap! Congrads, hope it becomes your best friend, doesnt get any better than a dog, they are the greatest mood lifter ever. enjoy!

Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

After love, good food, clean water and plenty of exercise, I would rate "crate training" a puppy the next most valuable thing you can give it.

Training your pup to "crate up" for bed, while you're away for short periods and to calm him/her down is a very loving way of controlling your pup's access to those things in the house that 1) you don't want chewed, 2) can be dangerous to him and, 3) dogs do not like to pee or poop where they sleep. Remember to not feed or give your pup big drinks right before bed time.

Never, and I mean never use the crate to punish the pup. The crate needs to be seen as a safe haven/resting spot.
Your dog will eventually go to his crate to sleep every nite, even with the door open.

There must be vids on youtube or info somewhere online to teach you how to start your pup out on this.

Your puppy can hold his pee/poop on average 1 hour longer than he is in months of age, if you haven't just let him drink a lot or fed him.

Puppies have a colo-gastric response, that is when one end of their G.I. tract is stimulated it stimulates the entire tube. Within minutes after your pup eats, he will need to relieve himself. You can actually train your pup to more or less poop on demand. Immediately after feeding your pup, take him outside to where you want him to poop and start giving the cammand "poop", eventually he will do it and over time he will become trained to poop on cammand, just like sit, stay, and come. It helps if your pup can smell dog poop out in the lawn to help trigger the response, so also place some of his poop where you want to take him for future doo-doos.

Make the time to train your dog the way you want him to act and you'll have a joy for life. An untrained dog is pure hell and dangerous.

A great command to teach your dog is "enough", I use this command to teach my dogs when they have barked enough. I never command "NO" when they bark, I want my dogs to bark, but when they have alerted me to something, and I want them to stop barking, I commend "enough".

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Last edited by eatmydust; 05-15-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: clarification
People Like This 

Newest Threads