New Old Gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Old Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8488 Times on 4912 Posts
Likes Given: 11040

Default New Old Gun

So, if you buy a gun that is 50 years old or older, with no serial number on the receiver, is it considered a firearm by the BATF? Or is it a Curio or Relic?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8488 Times on 4912 Posts
Likes Given: 11040

I should qualify this. Today I purchased a Savage Model 24 .22 rimfire over a .410 under. It was made in 1956 (as evidenced my the date stamp of 'H') . Still have to do the DROS and wait 10 days to take possession.

Anyhow, this is a really fine gun in a configuration that many do not appreciate. I got it for half of what it is worth. While waiting for the paperwork I had two guys mention that they had one at home and would never sell it. The guy doing the DROS said he would have listed it at much more than what we bought it for.

My youngest son was the one who saw it yesterday at the LGS. Another guy was looking at it and my son took note of it. He has great instincts.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I almost picked one up from a pawn shop near me until I saw the $600.00 price tag! I believe the answer to your question is yes to both but I have been known to be wrong on more than one occasion.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd call it a curio or relic. What would the ATF call it? With our current administration they are as likely as not to call it an assault weapon.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

To be c&r it has to actually be on the federal c&r list just being old isnt enough by itself.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Curio & Relic is defined as any firearm in the origination configuration that is 50 years old or older, OR- is on the list published by BATFE (all Colt Woodsman pistols, regardless of age) OR the curator of a museum has applied to the BATFE and they have decided that THAT firearm is a C&R. Any ONE of the 3 makes it C&R.

To be an antique, it must have been made prior to 1899, OR use loose powder and ball, and not be readily convertible to use cartridge ammo. Your TC Hawken 50 cal muzzle loader is an antique, even if made last year.

Trust me on this one- I have held a C&R FFL since 1976.

A Marlin 39A that is 50 years old- Curio & Relic firearm. Same rifle, 49 years old- firearm. But next year it will be 50, and becomes C&R. It is not the year the model was made, but the year THAT gun was made.

Serial numbers were not required on rifles and shotguns until 1968. In some cases, the year of production can be shown (Remington used a barrel code) In some cases, we can show that that MODEL was only made 1950-52. If you cannot show that the gun in question is 50 years old, and it ain't on the list by name, it is not C&R.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.