Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Military Dominance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
According to my contact, who got these from his brother stationed at Langley, these babies are there now and being put through the paces. Definitely one hot piece of engineering though...

JD
I contract to Lockheed Martin and your right they have the three variants flying now (Air Force/Navy/Marines) what the differences are I don't know but I was told when I asked in Paris that we would see one premiered at the airshow until 2011'ish, when they are expected to be in general service. If chance on our websites I took a shot of 'Teddy' my Cocker in the cockpit...awsome piece of kit............

Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Okay guys - I don't know how many of you have been following the new F/A-22 Raptop - but here she is, and she gives me goose bumps all over.

FIRST FA-22 FIGHTERS DELIVERED TO LANGLEY

These are great in-flight Photos of the F/A-22 as the first aircraft delivery was being made to Langley AFB in VA. Langley is to be first operational AFB for the F/A-22. It is a very beautiful AFB, located in a picturesque location, as you can see in these photos, near Norfolk and Hampton, Va.

The Aircraft flying along with the F/A-22 in the last of these photos is the F-15, which will be replaced by the F/A-22. The F/A-22 is several times better than the F-15, as proven in head to head competition.

In an actual In-flight (simulated) Combat Operation against the F-15, two F/A-22s were able to operate without detection while it went Head to Head against (8) F-15s. The F/A-22s scored Missile Hits (Kills) against all the
F-15 Aircraft and the F/A-22s were never Detected by either the F-15s or Ground Based Radar.

Maj. Gen. Rick Lewis said: "The Raptor Operated against All Adversaries with Virtual Impunity; Ground Based Systems Couldn't Engage and NO Adversary Aircraft Survived!" He Continued...

"They're a titanium and carbon fiber dagger. They're so advanced that if their on-board locator is switched off even our own satellites can lose track of them."

"They're the first military aircraft ever built that is equipped with a 'black-out button'. What that means is this... The best conditioned fighter pilots are capable of maintaining consciousness up to, the vicinity of, 15 + G. The Raptor is capable of making 22+ G turns. If some day an adversary builds a missile that is capable of catching up to one of these airplanes and a Raptor pilot sees that a strike is imminent, he hits the 'b.o.b.' and the airplane makes a virtual U-turn, leaving the missile to pass right on by.

They know that in the process he'll temporarily lose consciousness, so the Raptor then automatically comes back to straight and level flight until he wakes back up. "

Pretty amazing hardware - Chaulk up one more for the good guys!

JD

Sweet looking jets

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #13

As amazing as they are I have to wonder just how better they could have been if Mc Donald Dougles "Now Boeing" had gotten the contract if all of the usual poitical garbage had been left out of the decision and it solely made based on the best aircraft to defend our Nation .

Back when Douglas was in competition with Grumman I use to have several quaintances that were everything from machinists to accountants at Douglas .

I was told by all of them that in the side by side testing their version of the then designated YF-22 blew away Grummans .

Then of course the games began with Grumman crying about how they were going to perhaps be forced out of business if they weren't awarded the contract .

I'm amazed at here we are almost 20 years later and Grumman still hasn't managed to make delievery of the numbers needed by our armed forces .

I bet the guys at Douglas would have gotten the job done long before now .

Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRemmy View Post
What an awesome plane. Australia is doing away with our current fleet of F-111's and replacing them with the F-35 lightning II JSF. I read somewhere that we were looking at buying the F-22, but we chose the F-35 instead. Apparently not the best decision.
Yes, but our military has a long and distinguished career of making not the best decision.......look at teh F-111 in the first place, then we have the Collins submarine debacle and now the helicopters......they are not very good at getting it right.

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 AM   #15

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Damn, the paint's still tacky, she looks like a shiny new penny. A badass penny that is!!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Haha, yeah carnut you indeed have a point there, the ol' collins class sub......

Proud to be a Sporting Shooter.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRemmy View Post
What an awesome plane. Australia is doing away with our current fleet of F-111's and replacing them with the F-35 lightning II JSF. I read somewhere that we were looking at buying the F-22, but we chose the F-35 instead. Apparently not the best decision.
I didn't realize that you guys were still flying F-111s. Most of the bomb footage credited to F-117s in Desert Storm was actually F-111F pavetack footage. I used to work on F-111s and saw the tapes. They were maintenance pigs, but they got the job done well.

To stay on topic. That's a beautiful jet. I liked the F-23 better though.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:33 PM   #18

They build them right down the road from me. I have been seeing them flying around for a couple of years now. They look a lot bigger than the F-15's.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #19

We are the only country still running the F-111 as far as I know.
The USAF keeps a bunch of retired ones for spare parts to sell us.
Ours were fully upgraded a few years back with all new digital avionics and stuff, we aren't losing them for a good few years just yet....

Keep up the fight, or give up the right!

Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #20

The UK Goverment Dept. of Defence announced today that the UK have ordered two large super carriers, HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Oueen Elizabeth, completion in 2014 and 2016 respectively. They also announced that the Carrier's where to be equiped with the LM F35JSF, but unfortunately these aircraft will not be available on the commission date so it is expected that Harriers will be deployed until their arrival.......................