Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > A new menace

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default A new menace

I really thought there was nothing more that could surprise me about my Govt's stupidity....

I was wrong...and how.

(Warning: Your 6yr-old could well be harbouring a New Menace )

From Australian Shooter, June 2010 - letters page:

'I would like to share with you and your readers the ridiculousness of the Customs policies relating to toy guns.

I recently purchased a vintage 1940s boxed cast iron cap gun made by a company called Kilgore from overseas. Upon its arrival, it was seized by Customs as a 'replica firearm' even though the box states "Toy paper cap pistol". I was then instructed to contact Victoria Police for the necessary permit to release the toy from Customs. I was told that in order for it to be acceptable in the eyes of Victoria Police and for it to be regarded as a toy, it had to have a permanently affixed red barrel plug on it that cannot be removed without damaging the gun.

My next step was to call back Customs and let them know that I would come down to collect it, and in front of them, affix a red barrel of the required 2cm length. Well, guess what their reply was? Unless it came into Australia with the plug attached, I had to obtain a B709A permit, which is some sort of permit that would allow me to bring in handguns, as well as a host of firearm-related goodies. This would require obtaining a handgun licence, and being a member of a pistol club for a year. Then, that would lead me on to a Collector's Licence, which would enable me to collect my toy gun...which by then, would have long been destroyed.

I have an A and B longarms firearms licence, and am an upstanding, law-abiding citizen. I have paid taxes all my life, which pays the wages of these government people who decided, "No, I don't feel in a good mood today, so I'll make this person's life miserable for today and not let this one though."

I thought we were the land of the free? Like hell! If you're a criminal or a druggie, you get more rights than a manager of a Melbourne city business."

- Andrew Teleki, Vic

Jesus...weren't we all fortunate to be saved from such obvious evil

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I thought we were the land of the free? Like hell! If you're a criminal or a druggie, you get more rights than a manager of a Melbourne city business."

That statement is being made more and more often by people here in the US.

zhuk, I'm sorry you live in such a bass ackwards nation. I wonder what that plug did to the collectors value of the toy?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I know...and this is particularly insane even on the record of the Govt, to my mind. I might go on a bit, but its a lesson I feel needs emphasising - I care a lot that you guys in the US never end up like this, spittin

What this man would have had to go through to keep this toy is what gets me. To have to get a handgun licence? Be on probation for a year and shoot with a target pistol club? (for someone who only has a A/B [rifle/shotgun] licence atm, and may well have no interest whatsoever in competitive handguns). Then apply for a Collectors Licence (and compulsorily join a collectors club to be legal, of course at more personal expense)

And after all that....it would have been destroyed by Customs in the meantime!

In the finest tradition of bureaucracy everywhere. Effin nonsensical is the only way to describe it.

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 06-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #4

Unfortunately the US is headed in your direction.
Hopefully in November we will be able to turn the tide in this mind bending battle for control of the nation. But until when and if some progress is made in guiding this government back to a more Constitutional footing, the US is not much different than the UK or Australia.

We have a few freedoms yet. But this administration and congress are hell bent on taking what little we have left.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Why does it seem someone is going to have to haul off and beat the crap out of one of these officious jackasses before anything gets done about outright foolish and hateful laws such as yours? And possibly soon to be ours....

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Why does it seem someone is going to have to haul off and beat the crap out of one of these officious jackasses before anything gets done about outright foolish and hateful laws such as yours? And possibly soon to be ours....

"You might well say that, but I couldn't possibly comment"

Of course that would be any sane person's reaction to such mindbending stupidity (and damn you'd have to hold yourself back if you were the unfortunate Mr Teleki!)

but it would only confirm the popular opinion that most of us are ravening, aggression-fuelled whackjobs...whereas if any other similarly law-abiding group in society were treated with such outright contempt, the media would be screaming blue murder.

Shooters - the final oppressed minority

Quote:

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

It will be a matter of time before people start Dura-coating the red barrel thing and taking over the world!! So thew next logical step is outlawing done at home weapon finishes! And air burshes..And maybe..Yard sales...Why yard sales? It's not a gun thing. They are just evil. I've been top tons and none will sell me three feet!!!! Like I said...Evil!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #8

Default Thats sad...

It's not long before all us good guys will be the only ones without a gun...

Old 06-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
"You might well say that, but I couldn't possibly comment"

Of course that would be any sane person's reaction to such mindbending stupidity (and damn you'd have to hold yourself back if you were the unfortunate Mr Teleki!)

but it would only confirm the popular opinion that most of us are ravening, aggression-fuelled whackjobs...whereas if any other similarly law-abiding group in society were treated with such outright contempt, the media would be screaming blue murder.

Shooters - the final oppressed minority
Well, I guess we really wouldn't be talking punches and kicks to the groin....

More likely we should just grab them by the ear, lead them out into the street and give them a few hard thwacks with a hickory switch. If it was good enough for our grandparents to get our parents in line, it should work on our politicians too.....

9x18=Makarov

Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We really need to ram a rolled up copy of the United States Constitution, The Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights roughly up the 'third point of contact' of all 535 members of Congress and the POTUS & Veep - maybe THEN they will "get it".......

They sure as heck have not read those documents......