Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Medal of Honor Game Lets You Play the Taliban!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1699 Times on 970 Posts
Likes Given: 3478

Default New Medal of Honor Game Lets You Play the Taliban!

I am not a first person shooter, more old fashion command and conquer. Just pass information on the Medal of Honor Players on the forum.

New Medal of Honor Game Lets You Play the Taliban

There is a new edition of Medal of Honor coming out that lets you play the Taliban in Afghanistan fighting American and allied forces. Electronic Arts has taken the stance that, “Somebody has to play the robbers in cops and robbers.” While this paradigm is true, the question facing many potential gaming consumers and some soldiers is whether or not this is in good taste.

“While we respect and support the developer’s right to free speech, the nature of any game where you are blurring the lines between gruesome reality and fantasy in this manor is in poor taste and sets a dangerous trend.” said Alex Jones during a discussion after hearing about the new Medal of Honor release.

Soldiers returning from the battlefield and the families of the fallen have weighed in on mainstream media outlets around the world. In the video below, the sentiment is generally that it’s too real, too soon.

First-person shooter video games have been developed by the military to aid in recruitment and encourage youth to enlist in armed services as well as local law enforcement. America’s Army is a free simulation depicting basic training at an Army boot camp. In the game, your virtual soldier is trained on grenade throwing, assault rifle fire, battlefield first aid and more. While America’s Army has little actual violence, it was developed with recruitment of first-person shooter fans in mind and thus far is on its third edition indicating the results have been on target. Reports detailing the Pentagon’s use of video games in recruitment and training have been widespread throughout the media. While the idea of using video games to aid in recruitment doesn’t seem initially negative, many games of the genre are riddled with torture and other unethical and unlawful forms of warfare.

The blurring of reality and fantasy has been made more and more possible by advances in graphics technology. In the early nineties, games such as Wolfenstein 3D and Doom allowed players to face off against pixelated sprites representing everything from Nazis to hell-spawn demons that made up the beginnings of the 3D gaming experience. Games like these were hardly realistic as the 3D technology of the time was extremely limited and sound effects were a garbled mess. These games gained immense popularity, however, and the first-person shooter genre has since exploded in to the largest genre being developed today.

The debate over whether or not Electronic Arts should be allowed to release a title that reflects a battlefield where war is being waged today comes down to first amendment rights. It is up to the consumer to decide if they want to support the development of future versions of the series by purchasing the game. Outrage over the ability to virtually combat our own troops has raised the question as to why there is little outcry over other games that glorify torture, prostitution, drug use, and murder. While it is within the developer’s first amendment right to create the story and release it to the public, it is certainly within the same rights of consumers to voice their opinions about it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2010, 07:15 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is dumb....The Taliban are the targets!! Having the game interactive should be you and your team running search and destroy missions all over Afghanistan!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Simmer down guys. The previous games gave you the opportunity to play the Germans or the Japanese. They're just following the established game architecture. Nothing nefarious is going on here.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #4

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

it's just a video game anybody that doesn't want their kids playing it should send the kids outside until dark

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-26-2010, 11:37 PM   #5

While i do enjoy these types of games you figure you would be able to sell more if you got to kill the taliban. Even though its just a game i would have a hard time purchasing anything that involves shooting at U.S. Soldiers.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This makes me angry. Medal of Honor is a game that I played when I was real little. What was the game... uhhh.... Medal of Honor Underground.

I will not buy this game. I might play someone else's version just because I love that series, but I will never play as the Taliban. This game has you playing as the Taliban against NATO, this is currently happening. For all I know Matt Knox (friend of mine in the Corps.) or someone else I know serving will jump out and I'll have to shoot him or start over at the last check point......

I do want to point something out here though. In Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 you can be the Taliban. In multiple player it will randomly assign you as either a Taliban soldier, a Brazilian Guerilla, a Russian soldier or an American soldier.

All I really want out of a video game right now is Nazi Zombies 2.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #8

Liked 57 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Old 08-27-2010, 01:59 AM   #10