Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > new laptop!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default new laptop!

Hello all! am getting a laptop for school and was wondering what speed or memory i need! dont really have a clue about computers,thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #2

Really depends on what your major is. Are you going to school for something where you'll need the computer for projects. For example, computer design/graphics. But, since you said you dont know anything about computers, I'm sure you'll only NEED the basics. Word Processor, a browser and maybe powerpoint.

Whats your budget on a new laptop?

S.S.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Hey gloks4life, welcome to the forum. Now where's your manners? 8 posts and you have not checked in at the Introductions thread yet. Being a fellow Okie, I would like to hear a little about yourself and the kind of firearms you have and your interests. Thanks.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

I will be a nursing student,so god only knows what i will be using it for ? thanks for replys... under $500 would be nice if possible?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #5

Just get a netbook. You shouldn't be running any high powered programs for that. More than likely just need something to type notes and assignments on. They only problem I could see would be if your particular school uses class material on CD/DVD instead of online files. Even at that, external dvd readers shouldn't be very expensive. Haven't priced them lately.

You can get a good netbook, upgrade the Ram to 2gigs, download Open Office (Like Microsoft Office, but Better) for free, buy an external drive if needed (which you probably wont need) and come in way under your budget. Look at ASUS and Toshiba. Maybe MSI.

Strange forum to ask for computer advice....

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #6

Lenovo - Laptop computers - ThinkPad SL Series
I use a Thinkpad, except in R series. Those are a little more expensive, though.

S.S.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #7

I used to be a big fan of Lenovo, but not so much when it comes to their new stuff. I am glad you got a good one!

If you want a fullsize laptop add Fujitsu in the mix.

"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents." - Winston Churchill

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

Old 08-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Don't be afraid of the refurb notebooks available from Tigerdirect and other online vendors. My latest is a Toshiba with duo-core processor, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB drive, DVD writer and it was under $500.

I concur with Open Office - really good stuff and it's free...

Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Don't be afraid of the refurb notebooks available from Tigerdirect and other online vendors. My latest is a Toshiba with duo-core processor, 4 GB of RAM, 250 GB drive, DVD writer and it was under $500.
Excellent point and good advice. Refurb just means they already fixed what was going to break if you bought it new . (most of the time)

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #10

Luckily for me, my mom works for IBM and got my laptop at a discount.
Refurb is a good idea. My uncle fixes up computers and has a sidejob for cleaning/repairing computers. Then reselling them. Its a good way to save money, especially if you're going to college.

S.S.