New Jet, F35B
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Jet, F35B

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default New Jet, F35B

Just got this from someone. Have not spent any time looking for bona fides. Good video.

This video link is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia.

These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period.

The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard.

Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates.

That was an intentional part of the sea trials.
No catapult... No hook.... It’s a new world out there!
The shape and scope of warfare – worldwide – just changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Ki86x1WKPmE&feature=colike

Last edited by Daoust_Nat; 01-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

That's pretty cool. When I was in AZ last spring I got to watch a BUNCH or harriers. Those are cool.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #3

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Very nice video.

I understand the issue with the Harriers is range. They are thirsty when utilizing their vertical abilities, and VERY thirsty when heavy with ordinance. Maybe not so much a problem in forward bases, maybe without runways, providing real close ground support (what I believe they were intended for), but big disadvantage when flying off a carrier that’s on station safely way the hell out at sea.

At least that’s what I read someplace.

No doubt the F35 is more efficient fuel wise than the Harrier, but still, all things being equal . .

Old 01-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #4

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

F-35B isn't per-say a new fighter. Its simply a variation of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). The JSF series was designed to be a cost savings application as it would use one basic fighter design to service all branches of the military.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a family of single-seat, single-engine, fifth generation multirole fighters under development to perform ground attack, reconnaissance, and air defense missions with stealth capability.[9][10] The F-35 has three main models; one is a conventional takeoff and landing variant[ARMY], the second is a short take off and vertical-landing variant[MARINES],and the third is a carrier-based variant[NAVY].
Emphasis added by myself.

These will be increasingly important as Congress scrapped the F-22's...

Quote:
Gates has been publicly inveighing against the fighter for more than a year, calling it a Cold War relic, noting that it hasn't been used in any of the wars we've fought lately, and noting that our current stock—187 F-22s, which have cost $60 billion to develop, build, and maintain to date—is more than adequate to handle the extremely narrow and unlikely range of threats for which they might be suitable in the future.

The Air Force brass wanted $4 billion in the fiscal year 2010 budget to build 20 more F-22s. Gates slashed the request to zero. The Senate Armed Services Committee voted, 13-11, to shift $1.7 billion from other programs in order to fund another seven planes. That's the line item that the full Senate excised this afternoon.

The amendment to halt the plane's production was co-sponsored by Sens. Carl Levin, D-Mich., and John McCain, R-Ariz. McCain, who has never been an F-22 fan, went so far as to quote at some length President Dwight Eisenhower's farewell address, which warned of the "military-industrial complex," though McCain noted that the proper phrase should be the "military-industrial-congressional complex."
The remarkable vote to kill the F-22 and what it means for America's military future. - Slate Magazine

As a side note, how dare McCain quote Eisenhower's concern over the military-industrial complex! Of course he does, then a few years later he turns around and co-sponsors the NDAA...but that's a discussion for another time...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We will miss those extra F-22 Raptors when the Chinese get bolder and start attacking our interests and allies.
The F-35 is a boondoggle waiting to fail. Another Senate-approved committee-designed compromise to make one basic airframe do many very disimlar tasks and missions for three very different services with very different requirements..... in a 'light fighter' no less! Doesn't have the air combat acumen of the F-22, doesn't carry the air-to-mud ordnance load of the F/A-18 Hornet, and will again end up 'too expensive' to risk in actual combat, requiring us to maintain the older aircraft it is to 'replace'.
Been there, done that, too many times. Our fighting forces deserve better.
This aircraft was originally intended to augment the F-22, the way the F-16 Fighting Falcon augmented the F-15 Eagle. Different aircraft for different missions.
Drop a few of these failed Social Programs, drop the horrendous abomination of obamacare looming in our very near future - we could have doubled our fleet of F-22 Raptors. Close military bases in foreign lands that hate us, ditto!

Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I was under the impression that the F-22 Raptor was the best fighter jet made right now?

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I was under the impression that the F-22 Raptor was the best fighter jet made right now?
It is (was).

They just decided that we cannot afford to drop that much money on a plane that can fall/fail/be shot down. They tell us that there is no serious need for them moving forward.

I disagree and highlight the fact that the F-4 was originally manufactured with no cannon/machine gun because the desk jockeys at the Pentagon were convinced that conventional dog fighting (using cannons/guns) was dead after Korea due to the advent of missiles such as the sidewinder.

This, of course, was a huge mistake due to a number of mechanical issues experienced with the missiles and also because of the missiles natural shortcomings. So, how did they fix it? They manufactured "gun pods" that attached under the body of the fighter.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun