Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New hands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default New hands?

I am an avid rifleman, not necessarily good but love and shoot obessevilly. Ive been on disability for 25+ years. The V.A. has offered to rebuild my hands and wrists. Does anyone have any experience with joint replacement with Knuckles and wrists? I do get by with what limited use of my hands, but they are promising me possible miraculous results. I am totaly responsible for my Mother who has limited mental capacity due to early stages of altzimers. I manage and do what I have to do with my incompacaties at this time. I am on the negative side of having these rather extensive procedures done. I am almost 63. Has anyone had similar surgery, and do you recommend it. ? recovery time, success? Really would like some direction or thoughts.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Man Up,
Someone has to be the first!!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I don't have any first hand knowledge on the subject. I have read about some big things they are doing in joint replacement.I can see with your responsibilities how the down time could effect things. If it was me I would have to look long and hard at how would my responsibilities be dealt with while I had these procedures and go through rehab. If you can keep things going pretty smooth then it would be really worth looking into.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dteed, sorry brother, I have no experience, nor do I know anyone that has any. So I am no help in that respect.

I will however add you to my prayer list.
Best of luck Sir.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I would hope the plan is to do one hand/wrist at a time. What do they say about recovery time?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments, Now I have to figure out how to get my wife to wipe my ass if I do decide to go through the procedure done.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #7

Have to go to Pittsburgh to see the orthopedic surgeon Dec 1. Will have a better idea about my decision then. Right now i think it would be like putting new tires on an old car with a broken frame.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Where you at?

Old 11-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #9

I'm in Erie, about 140 mi. north of Pittsburgh

Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Ah, can't help. That's a haul.....