New gun or reloading kit?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New gun or reloading kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 346 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default New gun or reloading kit?

Long story short, got a new job with way better pay check and in the mood to buy something firearms related.

Was given the okay by boss man to bring a rifle to work since its out in the country side. So here's my question, do I use this as an excuse to finally buy a new rifle or do I say forget it and buy a reloading press?

Background info: have a .243 as well as two .22LRs, but I've been wanting a .17HMR for a long while. Only looking to spend $300.00 on rifle or kit. The rifle would be used for the odd fox and coyote as well as on gophers. Shots wouldn't be more then 100-150 yards. I know I can get both at separate times, but it's trying to figure out what one to get first.

So what would you guys do, grab a rifle or a reloading kit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9148 Times on 3950 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Wellllllllll...........

I have a 17 HMR. labor-day-096.jpg

Yes, it IS a hoot- this one shoots about like a laser beam. I had another- a Mossberg sporter, that did not share the same accuracy. That Savage in the pic will likely run you a bit more than $300, especially if you add some good optics- but I don't know how prices are in Alberta. Ammo for that runs about $12-15 per 50 rounds.

Reloading- yes- you can go buy an all in one box setup- or- first purchase- get a copy of the ABCs of reloading, and AFTER reading it, shop on line for USED equipment. Have never seen a carbide die worn out- and prices on used gear may be far less than new.

You ARE in a nice quandary. To borrow a line from Shakespeare- "Oh my daughter! Oh, my ducats!"

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Wellllllllll...........

I have a 17 HMR.

Yes, it IS a hoot- this one shoots about like a laser beam. I had another- a Mossberg sporter, that did not share the same accuracy. That Savage in the pic will likely run you a bit more than $300, especially if you add some good optics- but I don't know how prices are in Alberta. Ammo for that runs about $12-15 per 50 rounds.

Reloading- yes- you can go buy an all in one box setup- or- first purchase- get a copy of the ABCs of reloading, and AFTER reading it, shop on line for USED equipment. Have never seen a carbide die worn out- and prices on used gear may be far less than new.

You ARE in a nice quandary. To borrow a line from Shakespeare- "Oh my daughter! Oh, my ducats!"
Buy the rifle first. Liberals will outlaw the gun before the bullet...

Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 PM   #4

C3, I'm willing to bend on prices a little bit but also have a rifle in mind for a .17HMR. It's basically my girls but different caliber.

As for the ABC's of reloading book, I planned on buying it all in on go since the closest place is an hour and some away from me.

As far as buying used, there's no where close to me that I can look for used equipment, it's why living in a small town kind of blows. I do plan on reading before I so much as peice the kit together though.

Another reason why I'm leaning towards the kit over the rifle, I want make some recoil friendly rounds for my girl since she.....and some what I , aren't really fond of beating our shoulders every time we shoot. It's why she doesn't enjoy shooing larger calibers then rimfires.

Might actually ask a guy who lives by me about reloading and see if he can give me some lessons and such about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacobson

Buy the rifle first. Liberals will outlaw the gun before the bullet...
I like the way you think sir. Haha

Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

A press is the way to go if you really enjoy shooting. I have a Lee torrent press and seval different dies, RCBS, Hornady and Lee will all work. Maybe after a while at the new job you can get a rifle too!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #6

Well dudes.....I'm going with a press. I in a sense let a friend decide. Me and him planned on going halves on a press a while ago since he has a 7mm RM and wants to find a cheaper way to shoot it. Asked if he was still down to do that and he said yes, so a press I shall buy. Just a matter of how soon now.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM   #7

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I love reloading. Not only will the gear pay for itself in saved ammo costs but you can customize your rounds, experiment with different loads and it's fun. Remember when every gun shop known to man was low on ammo during "The Obama Scare" right after he was elected? I had a minimum of 1,000 rounds for every caliber gun I own and had over 5,000 rounds of the calibers I shoot most often, .45, .40 and 9mm.

Better to have one gun and 5,000 rounds of ammo than have 5,000 guns and only one round.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I just bought a Lee press, it's the Challenger Breech Lock kit. Seems a decent kit for the money and got decent reviews. I bought it and all the supplies at my local Cabala's. After buying dies, powder, primer, casings, bullets, a manual and the kit itself I was at $375. I know it will be a different price for you and I know I could have saved maybe $20-30 by buying online, but I wanted to see everything first hand and am willing to pay a little extra for that. In the future I plan on buying on-line and in bulk to maximize my savings.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #9

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Both my reloading press's are Lee and almost my equipment is Lee too. I have been very happy with their quality and their customer service after the sale.

I also got the Hornady manual along with the Lee manual. One thing I will suggest from my experience is most Lee Kits come with the arm ballance scale. I didn't like that at all. I got a digital scale. I bought it as a jewelers scale and it was a lot less money than a reloaders scale. As long as it weight grains you're OK. The arm ballance will work fine but it seems very time consuming. I felt like a Jr. High student in chemestry class with it. I love the digital scale.

I have also found a ton to load data on handloads.com

Old 07-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969
I just bought a Lee press, it's the Challenger Breech Lock kit. Seems a decent kit for the money and got decent reviews. I bought it and all the supplies at my local Cabala's. After buying dies, powder, primer, casings, bullets, a manual and the kit itself I was at $375. I know it will be a different price for you and I know I could have saved maybe $20-30 by buying online, but I wanted to see everything first hand and am willing to pay a little extra for that. In the future I plan on buying on-line and in bulk to maximize my savings.
That's actually the same press kit about to order online. Not going to order powders or anything yet though. I want get my hands on a loading manual first and then I'll look through it and find what kind of load(s) I want to experiment with.

I'm actually kind of excited to "tinker" with hand loads for some unknown reason.