Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapupartforpres View Post
I am sure it's you get what you pay for, but that would be my budget. What is the best quality handgun for around $200.
For your price range you could get a top-of-the-line Airsoft!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #12

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Cane what do you go and buy a can of SHUT THE HELL UP. Not everyone can afford to lay out tons of cash for a gun. If you want the man to own an expensive gun then go and buy it for him. Or send him the money to go and buy it.

Guns are my love but family and bills come before guns any day of the week.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Or a top of the line animated .gif. Did you kid do that?

Old 03-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Cane what do you go and buy a can of SHUT THE HELL UP. Not everyone can afford to lay out tons of cash for a gun. If you want the man to own an expensive gun then go and buy it for him. Or send him the money to go and buy it.

Guns are my love but family and bills come before guns any day of the week.
I think I am going to go for the 9mm Targus. Other people in other forums say it is the best bang for your buck. No pun intended, well maybe a little.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Does it have to be a semiauto? A .357 revolver would make a good home defense gun, you can get a new Taurus or a used Ruger or S&W for a pretty decent price. You can practice with .38's until you get the hang of it and then move on to .357's.

You'll need a good deal of practice to master double action shooting, but it isn't hard. Plus revolvers are easier to handle for beginners, they don't need to be disassembled for cleaning and there's no way you'll accidentaly leave a round in the chamber.

There are so many grip options available that you can probably find one that fits both you and your lady. My main home defense handgun is a S&W 686 revolver (4" barrel), while the lovely wood grips are too big for my girlfriend, she can fire it comfortably with a rubber Hogue grip.

IMHO, everybody should be issued a .357 revolver at birth. It's a fantastic tool (although I do admit to being a biased wheelgun fetishist).

If you prefer one of those new fangled semiautos, Ruger offers some good ones. They are used as training guns at my club, and they hold up really well. CZ's are also quite nice, I don't know how much they cost new in your area, but perhaps you can find a nice used one (a 9mm CZ 75 for example).

If you really get into guns after your first purchase, you owe it to yourself to try out a 1911 (or an HP 35 if you're a 9mm fan!). Mr. Browning did a good job on those two.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Does it have to be a semiauto? A .357 revolver would make a good home defense gun, you can get a new Taurus or a used Ruger or S&W for a pretty decent price. You can practice with .38's until you get the hang of it and then move on to .357's.

You'll need a good deal of practice to master double action shooting, but it isn't hard. Plus revolvers are easier to handle for beginners, they don't need to be disassembled for cleaning and there's no way you'll accidentaly leave a round in the chamber.

There are so many grip options available that you can probably find one that fits both you and your lady. My main home defense handgun is a S&W 686 revolver (4" barrel), while the lovely wood grips are too big for my girlfriend, she can fire it comfortably with a rubber Hogue grip.

IMHO, everybody should be issued a .357 revolver at birth. It's a fantastic tool (although I do admit to being a biased wheelgun fetishist).

If you prefer one of those new fangled semiautos, Ruger offers some good ones. They are used as training guns at my club, and they hold up really well. CZ's are also quite nice, I don't know how much they cost new in your area, but perhaps you can find a nice used one (a 9mm CZ 75 for example).

If you really get into guns after your first purchase, you owe it to yourself to try out a 1911 (or an HP 35 if you're a 9mm fan!). Mr. Browning did a good job on those two.
That may be the way to go. Never thought about that. Maybe a revolver is the best option.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

tap,

You are right, in Ohio there is no wait. You need to be 21 to buy a poistol, 18 for rifle or shotgun.

To buy on-line, it needs to be sent to a FFL dealer. There is usually a transfer fee from the FFL. Gander Mountain has no transfer fee.

It will be harder for you to find ammo than it will be to find a gun. There's plenty of self defense rounds out there, but at $35-$40 for 20 they are not good for target practice (plinking).

Let us know what decide.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!