New Firearm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Firearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default New Firearm

I have decided to try my hand at designing a Bolt action rifle and am wondering what features y'all would want and what things you dislike about bolt action rifles.

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #2

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Stiff/rigid action that should aid in repeatable accuracy/precision. Short lift of the bolt handle would aid in speed of manipulation for faster follow-up shots when hunting. That would likely mean more barrel lugs requiring few degrees to move the handle through. My Sako has three lugs, for example. Barrel installs similar to a Savage could be nice or some other method allowing easier barrel swaps by the owner for lighter or heavier profiles, or calibers with the same bolt face size. Or a bolt lug portion if the bolt that could be changed as well for caliber swaps. Could possibly incorporate matched bolts and barrels that are already headspaced as accessories to the rifle.
Solid action bedding that is resistant to dimensional change due to temp/moisture, and likely a stock with similar properties. Free floating barrel. Sling and bipod mounting options. Detachable mags. Threaded barrels for option if mounting suppressors or muzzle breaks . Adjustable trigger. Barrels should also be match quality. Precision rifled, stress relieved, etc.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1961 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

A left side bolt handle with right side ejection.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
A left side bolt handle with right side ejection.
Interesting. For lefties who want their brass in front of them and access to the port, or to keep brass away from righties, with left hand access to the bolt handle?

Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Interesting. For lefties who want their brass in front of them and access to the port, or to keep brass away from righties, with left hand access to the bolt handle?
I am right handed, and would like to keep my shooting hand on the grip while cycling. Similar to the left side charge handles in semiautos.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
I am right handed, and would like to keep my shooting hand on the grip while cycling. Similar to the left side charge handles in semiautos.
Got it, but what about having the bolt and handle still coming toward the face during cycling? Nice to be able to maintain cheek weld.

Maybe an elevated cheek piece with a bolt race that went below the cheek rest, could be incorporated with a more forward bolt handle.

I do like the idea of being able to maintain contact with both the shooting hand and the cheek.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Got it, but what about having the bolt and handle still coming toward the face during cycling? Nice to be able to maintain cheek weld.

Maybe an elevated cheek piece with a bolt race that went below the cheek rest, could be incorporated with a more forward bolt handle.

I do like the idea of being able to maintain contact with both the shooting hand and the cheek.
If he can figure out how, I am buying it!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 70

All good ideas. John Moses browning started somewhere, I reckon this will keep me busy...

Join The NRA And Protect Our Rights