New Father and son project. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Father and son project.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1817 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Just got back from the range. The wife is a heck of a photographer.

range-2013-003.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #62

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

That's a great project that your son will remember forever. My father always talked about us restoring a vintage car together but we never actually did. We did build a desk though and I remember that as a fun project so I can imagine a car would be an awesome memory!!

Old 07-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #63
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8011

Rick. First of, very cool father son project. My dad and I rebuilt a basket case 81 XS 650 Yamaha when I was 16 and still on my Lerner's permit for motorcycles. i gave it to my wife as a wedding present, and she still rides it on good days. haven't had too many lately, too much rain.

If you are still looking for pedal pads, try finding skateboard friction tape. Cut it to fit the pedals, clean them with some rubbing alcohol, let it dry, then stick it on the pedals. Even when your feet are muddy, yoiu will still get a good grip on the pedals. That is what I ran on mine in my '73 F 250 for years, and the new owner is still using my old set up.

I have a '66 Jeep CJ5 in the back yard that will be the next project here. Some pics of what is left of it after 20 years of sitting while my uncle was debating selling it.

The current driveline is a 1966 Chevy 283, backed up by a destroyed Jeep manual trans and t-case. i have a 305, a 700R$, and an NP205 sitting in the shop gathering dust, as well as most of the needed glass, lights, and some of the body panels. haven't made a choice on the axles yet. I have to see where the rest of thee drivetrain leads. Planning a complete re-wire, and upgrading to disc brakes on all 4 corners. My neighbor, who owns a towing service, is going to move it over to the drivewat next week. From there, into the shop.

Some pictures......

100_1315_resized.jpg   100_1316_resized.jpg   100_1317_resized.jpg   100_1319_resized.jpg   100_1324_resized.jpg  

100_1320_resized.jpg  

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 07-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1620 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 2634

Awesome work Rick! Kfox? Best wishes on that endeavor. The old girl looks to have some good potential if you have the time, patience and green stuff.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3041 Times on 1738 Posts
Likes Given: 17909

Now that is quality time and priceless..! You make me want to hug the crap out of my son..! So very Kool..! You already know , but tell your son , that is some amazing savvy and a job extremely well done ..!

Gold pails to stories like this ..! A fan well done , very well done ..!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #66

Liked 1817 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 1197

Hey kfox, the nice thing about these old Jeeps is they are just a metal box. The only upholstery in the whole is the seats. It is amazing what you can do with a wire wheel and some sand paper. I am not above the use of Bondo either.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 07-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #67
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1570 Times on 961 Posts
Likes Given: 8011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Hey kfox, the nice thing about these old Jeeps is they are just a metal box. The only upholstery in the whole is the seats. It is amazing what you can do with a wire wheel and some sand paper. I am not above the use of Bondo either.
Very true Rick. The body it's self is still pretty solid. Along with the windshield and lights, I traded some old 440 parts ( cam, lifters, and rockers ) for a new windshield frame that a buddy had gathering dust from one of his CJ 6s. Most of the rust on the body is minor, cut, shape, patch, and fill. Got a road brother who has an english wheel who has forgotten more about body work than I could hope to learn in 3 lifetimes. I have been learning from him by hanging out at his shop since I was in my early 20s. He is an old friend of my uncle Rob, who started restoring classics at age 16. Rides that he did: 1976 Jeep CJ 8, 1951 Mercury Tudor, 1949 Ford Skyliner, 1966 Charger, 1946 Dodge pick up, His daughter's 1971 El Camino. Just what comes to mind, and I spent many a night arm pit deep in a motor, or running the wire feed and hammer an dolly. Learned a lot from both of them over the last 20 years and countless beers and cigars. We lost Rob back in 2006, and the position of family mechanic and body man was passed to me.

I'm thinking the Jeep will be a good spare time project for the next couple years. Even though I am getting the $@!^ out of NY, I will still stay close enough to go to Jungle's shop and play. Where the wife and I are planning on moving is about a half hour from his shop, and the odd ball parts he has there. Of all things to find in a shop full of Studebakers, I was shocked to find the right gauges for the das, one of the seats, and a steering column. the cost? 2 cases of beer.

Once the work starts, I'll get a thread going for all to enjoy.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 07-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Spray in bed liner works great for the floor and interior of the tub on those old Jeeps.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #69
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21546 Times on 12237 Posts
Likes Given: 53660

Rick, you and your son did an awesome job on the Jeep. it looks great. i'm glad you shared the build with us and enjoyed seeing it finished.

KFox, looking forward to seeing yours come back to life as well. good luck with it.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:37 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
When I had my Cherokee, I used to tell people there isn't a part on this JEEP that I can't replace with something better if it breaks.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

People Like This