New Era police cars. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > New Era police cars.

View Poll Results: Would you rather have a police car with a V-6 or V-8
V-6 3 12.00%
V-8 22 88.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Gas usage is the deciding factor in most purchases. In your cities they are more likely to go with the smaller motors for general patrol because there usually isn't a need for sustained high speeds. You'll get your pursuits but most of the time the cars will be turning off one road onto another quite often versus running down a straight road forever. Or they will equip their special traffic cars with the larger motors.

On the other hand, highway patrols and counties are more apt to use the higher power for the sustained high speed uses on more open roads and freeways.

Then again, I have seen departments buy the biggest baddest stuff just for the reason of saying "we have it and you don't".

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts

The first thing I learned when I was in my first pursuit is that is doesn't matter how fast the car goes, because Crown Vic's can't stop for crap! I want a V8, but brakes are more important.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #13

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
Then again, I have seen departments buy the biggest baddest stuff just for the reason of saying "we have it and you don't".
Our county Sheriff dept bought 6 new Daytonas with the 500hp. Huge story in the paper with cool pics and all. Funny thing is in this county there are few straight and open roads. Most 2 lanes (one each way) and lots of hills and turns. A semi-skilled driver in a Honda V-Tech four banger, 5-speed can lose a Daytona somewhat easily. The main factor is as it has been for decades. No one can out run a radio.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Nothing less than this will do,

Attachment 25134

Mad Max Police Interceptor (Need for Speed)

Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #15

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
The first thing I learned when I was in my first pursuit is that is doesn't matter how fast the car goes, because Crown Vic's can't stop for crap! I want a V8, but brakes are more important.
Oh man you are so right. The brakes on the Fords, and the light rear ends on the Caprices where they slide out from you when you're cranking into a turn. Fun days gone by.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #16

i'm hoping for the ford v6 turbo with awd.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
The Crown Vics of "old" had REALLY crappy brakes. The newer ones have damn good brakes. I went to PEDI school in a 99 CV and never once overheated the brakes. I ate a set of Eagles in 5 days, but brakes were fine.

I like the longevity of a big V-8. I high reving V-6 just wears out faster.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 AM   #18

Cops around here have had Intrepids (FWD V6) and Impalas (also FWD V6) since around '99. They're happier than pigs in slop to have Chargers now with the Hemi. Personally, I have to make due with a Powerstroke on a daily basis, and I'd kill for a gas burning V6 when I have an emergency call.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 AM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A few of my buddies are LEOs here. They all have the same comment on it. "Nothing outruns a radio." They were mad as hell when they got their Impalas. FWD and V6? WTF? I heard that a lot. Most of the Chargers around here are V6 as well. The OHP Chargers I assume are Hemi. The Impalas seem to be faster likely due to the power:weight ratio.

A few comments are very true. The more complicated the car, the more maintenance it requires. The Taurus SHO based Fusion should be plenty reliable, though. The 6 speed auto was a joint venture a few years ago and it holds up pretty well.

There is a new company trying to enter the market for LEO vehicles with a nice little TDI V6 but it's still concept. If it made it all the way, it would be awesome; something around 265/450.

Josh-US Army EOD (Bomb Squad)
Plenty of firearms and ammo.
A couple diesels sitting around.
Lots of learning to be done!!

Lifetime NRA Member

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 AM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default new era cop cars

Imo ....it all comes down to money. tax dollars = bang for your buck . Perps cant out run a radio....or a helicopter . Many remember the old school Dodges. 375 hp 440 ci ...150mph top speed , drum brakes , and the lifeline of all pursuits... tires/ handling . That reason alone I say this ...Damn they had balls. Today the Charger v-6 300 hp 140 mph, disc brakes ,speed rated tires ,special suspension pkg , and the greatest of all AIR CONDITIONING. Now if the new era cops could drive as good as the old school vets ....no perp gets away